Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody want to trade fish for Oranges

Default Anybody want to trade fish for Oranges

Might be a longshot but we have several groves here in Florida. I would be willing to keep somebody in oranges in trade for salmon or halibut. We have fresh fruit about 8 months a year and it is easy to ship. Shoot me an email at paradisepilot@aol.com if you are interested. Would preferred filleted, vaccuum sealed halibut and salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridaorange View Post
    Might be a longshot but we have several groves here in Florida. I would be willing to keep somebody in oranges in trade for salmon or halibut. We have fresh fruit about 8 months a year and it is easy to ship. Shoot me an email at paradisepilot@aol.com if you are interested. Would preferred filleted, vaccuum sealed halibut and salmon.
    I'm not sure if people can barter sport caught/subsistence caught fish legally. It'll be interesting to see what others say.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I'm not sure if people can barter sport caught/subsistence caught fish legally. It'll be interesting to see what others say.
    I'm pretty sure you're right. It's an interesting offer, but it would only work with commercially caught and properly reported fish.

Sounds kinda "fishy"

[QUOTE=cw76;706161]Sounds kinda "fishy"[/QU

I'd be glad to give you my full contact info. I am a pilot living in Florida for the last two years but am from the NW. Not trying to do anything "fishy" , just missing the seafood from home!

Default VERY fishy

I hate to say it, but it is totally illegal to buy, sell or barter sport caught fish. I wouldn't touch this one with an 8' Ugly Stik.

I am not trying to stir things up. Commercially caught is fine. If anybody is interested PM me and we can discuss. If you would like to donate some fish out of friendship that would be great. I am sure I would reciprocate in some way...

Not sure about the regs, but bartering is usually totally different from "selling". Please copy/paste the regs about the illegalities of bartering of fish if you don't mind. I'm not saying your wrong, it's just that bartering is often an honest loop hole amongst friends.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnSWA View Post
    Not sure about the regs, but bartering is usually totally different from "selling". Please copy/paste the regs about the illegalities of bartering of fish if you don't mind. I'm not saying your wrong, it's just that bartering is often an honest loop hole amongst friends.
    Holy smokes! I got another bar of props! Don't know where that came from but thanks a lot! LOL!

Sale of sport-caught fish unlawful: No person may buy, sell, or barter sport-caught fish or their parts.
    Straight from the regs...

Well 270ti that about sums it up

Default >>>-------->

Quote Originally Posted by cw76 View Post
    Sounds kinda "fishy"

Sounds kinda "fruity"!

Send a buddy some fish, he sends a buddy some fruit, whats the big deal. Like nobody has ever given fish to out of state friends to take home?? They can't'/won't take it on the plane so they ship it. All sounds the same to me.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Send a buddy some fish, he sends a buddy some fruit, whats the big deal. Like nobody has ever given fish to out of state friends to take home?? They can't'/won't take it on the plane so they ship it. All sounds the same to me.
    Doing it with a buddy is one thing, but soliciting such a situation online or responding to such a solicitation is quite another. Folks are just trying to help with their responses and pointing out what is legal, Steve. These forums are watched by the Troopers, and it would be a shame for someone to get nailed for something that they were uninformed about.

Default I'll give some fish

Quote Originally Posted by Floridaorange View Post
    In the spirit of friendship and One American to Another. I'll GIVE you some fish this summer so that you can enjoy Alaska while living in Florida. Just send me a reminder this summer. Too many lawyers in this world already.

Default Beyond oranges...

I know where he is coming from. This is the time of the year when my larder emties out and I go through fish withdrawl.

Local markets hardly have any AK product and the shop is tough.

The Internet has plenty, but I have yet to find decent prices.

The upside is that we have plenty of strawberries...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Steve---if you feel like giving the guy some fish, go for it. The law states that it is illegal to "buy, sell or barter" your fish. You can give the fish you catch to anyone you would like to give it away to. And if he feels like sending you some oranges just because he's a nice guy that's fine. But to set up a deal like that is illegal---for him to set-up in the first place and for someone to follow up on.

Floridaorange, just for the sake of information, can you tell us:

* Can you find wild Alaskan salmon in the retail market in Florida?

* If so, what is the price?

Default FL market prices...

Fresh specialty markets will gouge king salmon for as high as $32.99 per lb.

Big box stores will sell sockeye frozen for $11.99, king crab for $12.99, and coho frozen at $9.99.

It all fluxuates on season and specials.

I have not seen chum in over 10 years; they used to offer it as "silver brite". Pink is never vended.

Halibut will come in fresh anywhere from $11.99 to $17.99.

Pacific cod gets $12.99.

Farm raised salmon comes in at $10.99 but I have seen it as low as $2.99 on doorbusters.

Fresh Florida seafood products are way overpriced, just about anywhere. The only dependable value is in oysters at $7.00 a dozen.

No one can touch the big box. I brought lobster tails for $14.99 per lb. for 2 months this winter. Wild large gulf shrimp tails come in a $7.69 and are a terrrific value.

The cold weather stunned our snook this season and they floated up to be illegally scooped by many.

Strawberries are free if you care to hit the fields...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

LOL! I went into our local Safeway the other day here in Homer, AK and just for grins I took a look at the fish they had for sale. They had frozen sockeye for $11.99 a pound. I have relatives that live back east and during the summer often times they tell me about salmon in their stores at prices below what they are locally here in AK.

Not to rub it in, but it sure is nice to be able to go out and get if fresh whenever you feel like it. Of course, I haven't looked lately, but I'll bet fresh strawberries on our shelves are about $8.99 a pound or more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast