Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kasilof

Default Kasilof

Is the Kasilof open this time of year for any steelhead fishing? I've never been there or fished any steelhead. Is the run good now, or in the fall? Thanks for any input!

Default Try It

As the day warms up, after 12pm, the fishing down from the bridge will be good. Standard stuff works well. Good luck & watch out for early Kings.

Default Hot and Cold (mostly cold)

I've fished it a couple of times with no success. I have a buddy who fishes it regularly and does occasionally catch a steelie, but it's mostly an excuse to get a line wet.

If you go, do be aware that there are large sheets of ice coming down river this time of year that can be just under the surface and nearly invisible. Another friend of mine got dumped year before last and tweaked his knee pretty good in the process.

It is nice to fish without a gazillion people down there though, and this is the time for that. As long as you enjoy fishing, whether you're catching or not, you'll have a good time.

It's very hit and miss... I stopped by for an hour or so on Saturday. There were a few other fishermen down there and none of them had touched a fish. Had a buddy land a nice buck about a week ago, but he fished real long and hard for it. Scottsum is pretty right on - don't go and expect to hammer a bunch of fish, but it's a good excuse to get your line wet, and who knows you might get lucky.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Hmmm...

So there are Steelhead coming up the kasilof as well as early kings, however the numbers are so small that you shouldn't count on catching anything? Huh see I think that this would be a good chance for me to actually go and take a look at the river and some of the spots without huge crowds all over the place. As well as getting used to my new fly rod and reel. I plan to try and fish the kasilof later on this summer I think it would be good if I famliarized myself with the area. Are steelhead catch and release on the Kasilof like how they are on the Anchor River (I think)?
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

Default Fishing

Ak is cold, if you need a buddy to fish with send me a PM I'm looking at getting familiar with the Kasilof and I don't mind slappin' a line on so called empty waters. Another member 900Fusion would probably be willing to go also.

Default Empty?

I don't think anyone said "empty." Just plan to enjoy the experience, whether you catch anything or not. Of course, that's my advice on every fishing trip, but for Kasilof steelhead, you really need to remember it most days.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    Are steelhead catch and release on the Kasilof like how they are on the Anchor River (I think)?
    Yup, catch and release on the kasilof for steelies. A friend of mine had a productive day last week using beads. My earliest king on a flyrod came on May 3 from the Kasiloff a few years back.

Default Wadeable

is the river wadeable at all? Or do you need a boat? I 've never been so what sort of access points are there? Thanks

Ive been doing a little research on it and it looks like there are quite a few access points, but most of them are for the Personal Use fishery at the mouth of the river. But other than that there are three places where I think you could fish wearing hip boots or waders, first spot would be at the Kasilof/Crooked Creek Confluence, the next would be right next to the highway and the third would be right next to the lake outlet, I would think that this time of the year you would want to be as close to the mouth as possible, but yeah. Im only a 2nd year fly fisher up here so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    I would think that this time of the year you would want to be as close to the mouth as possible,
    Depends on what you are targeting. The steelies are starting to out-migrate. They are moving from high up in the system down. Coho Campground is the lowest I would go downstream. It gets pretty muddy down from there. Most people (not me), fish near Crooked Creek campground for steelies due to good access and productive water.

Hmmm...sounds like a plan then.
    I guess ill try for the crooked creek area.
    Of course I wont be going for a few days but when I do ill write up a report for the river.

Default ahhhh the kasilof

I was just discussing making a trip there this weekend. The Kasilof is a very boring river IMO. Lots of rock gardens, slow moving, silty water. I've gone there for 3 years now. I go there once a year to cure my early season fish craving. Usually will pop a steelie and if I get luckky, I might tag a dolly. *Knock on wood* I havent been let down yet though. I have always produced a steelie. But then again, I also work different waters than most. I'm not sure if it's illegal to remove them from the water on that river. So i apologize if these pictures offend people. I just learned about the anchor river restriction too (havent fished there yet anyways) so was hoping it wasnt illegal there.
    But here are some pics of me and a buddy in some previous trips
    -Jose
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG00234.jpg   IMG00236.jpg  
    Go Fish

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    I was just discussing making a trip there this weekend. The Kasilof is a very boring river IMO. Lots of rock gardens, slow moving, silty water. I've gone there for 3 years now. I go there once a year to cure my early season fish craving. Usually will pop a steelie and if I get luckky, I might tag a dolly. *Knock on wood* I havent been let down yet though. I have always produced a steelie. But then again, I also work different waters than most. I'm not sure if it's illegal to remove them from the water on that river. So i apologize if these pictures offend people. I just learned about the anchor river restriction too (havent fished there yet anyways) so was hoping it wasnt illegal there.
    But here are some pics of me and a buddy in some previous trips
    -Jose
    ****! Nice fish Jose!

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Default Kasilof River Regulations

liv2fish87: I'm not sure if it's illegal to remove them from the water on that river.
    Check page 42 of the regs book. From the mouth of the Kasilof up to the Sterling Highway Bridge:

Rainbow/steelhead trout: NO Retention allowed YEAR-ROUND. Rainbow/
    steelhead trout may not be removed from the water.

Look for the new USFWS report combined three years of genetic, telemetry, spawning poulation data to come out very soon!

Well good because both of those hogs were attained above the bridge.
    Go Fish

Default Float

Is the float nice and calm like upper Kenai from the ferry to jims? Or do you have a motor on thr boat we can't see in the pic?

Thanks

Default hmm

no i dont think i have the motor on my boat in that pic. But unless u want to start from inside tustemena, then no you do not have to have a motor to do that float. the upper boat launch puts you right in the mouth. its calm water but like 4 or 5 big rock obstacle courses... you will end up walkin your boat through like 2 of them if its a decent size boat
    Go Fish

So has anybody been to the Kasilof in the past few days?
    How are the River Conditions?
    Any successful C&R stories or productive Spots?

Lets hear whats going on!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast