Thread: Low down on Commercial shrimp opener

Default Low down on Commercial shrimp opener

Just picked up my PWS shrimp permit at F&G and got the low down on the Commercial opener.
    155 boats
    20 pot limit
    4 days, 4/15 through 4/18
    So do the math:
    55,000 lbs / 3100 pots = 17.7 lbs per pot
    Thatís about 4.5 lbs of shrimp per day per pot.
    At that rate the opener will be at its limit in the first 24 hr if all boats participate.
    But with a 20 pot limit per boat I canít imagine there will be high participation.
    So not having read into the regs that much Iím wondering if permit holders are going to be allowed to combine? It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.
    Will definitely be avoiding area E during the opener.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    But with a 20 pot limit per boat I canít imagine there will be high participation.
    So not having read into the regs that much Iím wondering if permit holders are going to be allowed to combine? It will be interesting to see how this all pans out.
    And there's the kicker. My bet is that a lot of people signed up for the permit not really sure if they were going to participate. The fee was pretty low, and it was a relative unknown what it was going to look like. Heck, I signed up, and I was fairly certain I wasn't going to be able to fish.

As it stands, I'm going to try to get out for the weekend and fish the 17th and 18th if I can manage it. I doubt we'll be able to combine, and if not, my father (also a permit holder) and I will just fish 20 pots between the two of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    And there's the kicker. My bet is that a lot of people signed up for the permit not really sure if they were going to participate. The fee was pretty low, and it was a relative unknown what it was going to look like. Heck, I signed up, and I was fairly certain I wasn't going to be able to fish.

As it stands, I'm going to try to get out for the weekend and fish the 17th and 18th if I can manage it. I doubt we'll be able to combine, and if not, my father (also a permit holder) and I will just fish 20 pots between the two of us.

So that means no recreational shrimping and shrimp for the family, right?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    So that means no recreational shrimping and shrimp for the family, right?
    Is there something I'm missing in the regulations? If I participate in the commercial fishery, does that mean I'm out of the game for the rest of the year for sport fishing?

Default That is how is was explained to me

That is why I did not get a commercial permit

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    That is why I did not get a commercial permit
    Hmmm....that would be rather unfortunate. Thanks for the tip.

Ultimately, I won't be able to be out much this summer anyhow. It would be an OK summer to have to forgo personal shrimping, if need be.

Besides, taking home commercially-caught fish/shrimp is legal as long as it is properly weighed and reported as part of the overall catch limit. Might have to designate some of the catch at homepack.

From what I'm reading on ADF&G's site, I'll only have to sit out of sport fishing for shrimp for 14 days after the close of the commercial season:

"An individual who participated in the Registration Area E commercial shrimp pot fishery may not operate shrimp gear for subsistence, sport, or personal use fishing in PWS during the 14 days immediately following the close of the shrimp season (5AAC 31.053). "

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...fsh/pws_ps.php

I'll be certain to talk with ADF&G before trying to obtain a sport permit, though. Again, thanks for the heads-up.

Default Shrimp Opener

Start April 15 8am ends April 18 4 pm. You can only pull and set gear between 8am and 4 pm. No you can not combine gear. Each boat must fish its own gear. You may operate with another person on their boat pulling the other guys gear but you can not pull to sets of gear from one boat. Be sure and make your self a set of commercial numbers that you got with your Commercial Vessel License Receipt. Number are 12 inches tall by 1" wide and must be displayed while you are fishing. There is another thread in the fish management section that I posted more information.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    From what I'm reading on ADF&G's site, I'll only have to sit out of sport fishing for shrimp for 14 days after the close of the commercial season:

"An individual who participated in the Registration Area E commercial shrimp pot fishery may not operate shrimp gear for subsistence, sport, or personal use fishing in PWS during the 14 days immediately following the close of the shrimp season (5AAC 31.053). "

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...fsh/pws_ps.php

I'll be certain to talk with ADF&G before trying to obtain a sport permit, though. Again, thanks for the heads-up.
    They do that in a bunch of crab fisheries too, to avoid folks selling sport or pu fish
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Tender

Mr Bailey is going to send a tender with ice, bait, and fuel to the Prince William Sound shrimp openner on April 15. If you are looking for a place to off load your shrimp give him a call. He is also going to have a truck in Whitter for buying shrimp. The canners in Valdez are closed at this time.

Just thought that I would let you know that I am going to send one of my tenders over to buy shrimp, in case you are interested. He will have bait and Ice. I am not sure how we are going to buy them, I am thinking maybe Ocean Run because a lot of the guys have never sized shrimp and it would take too much time to size on the tender. Let me know if you are interested and I will add you to my list.

Bill Bailey III

Vice President
    Director of Value Added Products
    300 Cannery Row
    Cordova, AK 99574
    Ph: 907-424-3721 Fax: 907-424-7435
    Cell: 907-253-7652
    bbailey@CopperRiverSeafood.com<mailt...verSeafood.com>
    www.CopperRiverSeafood.com<http://www.copperriverseafood.com/>