Thread: Boating out of Seward, weather conditions?

Default Boating out of Seward, weather conditions?

I have done all of my boating out of Whittier and I would like to try Seward this year. I thought about keeping my boat down there in Seward for a month or two during the summer. My boat is a 24' trophy

Traditionally, how are the conditions out of Seward? It is common to have over 4 foot seas?

Quote Originally Posted by Emu View Post
    I have done all of my boating out of Whittier and I would like to try Seward this year. I thought about keeping my boat down there in Seward for a month or two during the summer. My boat is a 24' trophy

Traditionally, how are the conditions out of Seward? It is common to have over 4 foot seas?
    This is very true. I have gone out of Seward on numerous occasions on flat seas, only to return in 4-7 ft seas. It is a weird phenomenon that seems to occur there more often than not. Whenever we take a trip out of Seward and go anywhere past Ailak, I always make sure we have a 24-hour buffer in case we have to tuck back into a cove due to increasing seas. The NOAA sea forecast is pretty accurate in most Alaskan waters, but I have seen the most errors happen in the NGC region. The fishing is fantastic out of Seward, but due to the volatile swings in the seas I primarily fish PWS instead. We go out of Seward 3-4 times a year, but upwards of 12 out of Whittier.

Default Not Common

Typically in Seward the water is good as long as the weather is good (goes without saying). However, even in good weather as the things on shore warms up in the afternoon the wind tends to create a confused 2-3 foot chop from Lowel point to the harbor. Its a little bumpy, but nothing to worry about. Now when the weather is bad, it can be really bad. The bay isn't really protected that well and you can get some narley fetched winds to give anyone the spooks. But that can be avoided by being vigilant with the forecast and what you see.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

You are going to have rollers out of Seward even on a calm day, but you don't seem to get the steep chop you get out of Whittier. I'll take 8' rollers over a 4' chop anyday. Resserection bay is open to the Gulf of Alaska, so it doesn't take much wind to whip up the bay, and you can be pretty much assured that you'll be coming back in a chop. Not to mention there is essentially no place to hide in the bay.

That said I've found my 22' boat to be enough for heading out past Pt. Ailak in good weather, I've even run out the Chiswells. What I like about Seward is you get into good fishing closer to port than you do in Whittier, so it is my preferred destination for day trips.

Just be careful of an outgoing tide in the afternoon, as it can really stack up in the mouth of the bay when you are coming back in.

Default 2:00 chop on sunny days

If it is really sunny out with the occassional big white fluffy clouds, you can set your watch at 2:00 with instant chop inside the bay! If your on the end or begining of a system and have eight foot rollers in the am hours outside Canes head, by 2:00 or 3:00 you get an added bonus of chop on top of that. After 7:00 pm it might lay down again, between 2 and 6 pm on sunny days it can be a wind tunnel. A nice overcast day, maybe some rain is perfect for Seward, seriously. Don't ever leave the harbor on a "small craft advisory" in Seward, I tried it once because it was nice in the morning. Coming back I saw the Titanic towing the Edmonfitzgerald!

I can confirm what Myers just said. On sunny days, right at 2:00 pm, the wind picks up and a moderate chop begins. It lays down about 7:00 pm unless a weather front is moving in. The cloudy days with rain showers are the best for calmer sea states. Once you are out around Cape Resurrection, all bets are off. Pay attention to the NOAA weather forecast.

They have sunny days in Seward

It seems I always pick the overcast days, sounds like that isn't a bad thing.

Seward can be funny. You can't judge what its gonna be like by what the seas are doing from the view of the harbor. I've seen bad chop until you pass Aialik Cape and then its flat to the Chiswells and surrounding weather or vise versa. Pay attention to Winds at Pilot Rock, and seas at bouy 46107 and 46076.

For weather outside the bay look at Cape Suckling to Gore Point (http://pafg.arh.noaa.gov/wmofcst.php...FC&type=marine) and it'll will give you a good idea what's going on out there. Westerly wind seems to Bring clearer skies, but watch out going around Cape Aialik with a south wind and a out going tide it can get nasty . Just follow Capt. Andy on the Crackerjack Voyager he'll take you to the fish and makes for a good ride behind that big boat
    Boatless

Default bay forecast

I recall a post by AKCAPT who said that the Res. Bay forecast is typically good only about as far out as near Caines Head. After Caines Head he suggested it will be more like somewhere between the Bay forecast and the Gore Point forecast for the portion of the Bay from Caines out toward Hive or thereabouts, after that you are looking at the Gore Point forecast full bore.

Quote Originally Posted by titobandito View Post
    I recall a post by AKCAPT who said that the Res. Bay forecast is typically good only about as far out as near Caines Head. After Caines Head he suggested it will be more like somewhere between the Bay forecast and the Gore Point forecast for the portion of the Bay from Caines out toward Hive or thereabouts, after that you are looking at the Gore Point forecast full bore.

yeah I think your right about capt. Andy saying that, but I guess if I go west I go further. The Ressurection Bay forecast is accurate and almost everyday there is the mid day chop that gets like 3-4'. If there is a north wind the bay can get kind of rough I guess. when going outside the bay I usually go the direction of the wind in the Cape Suckling to Gore Point, so you get a following sea on the way home.
    Boatless

Default Seward Fishing

Hey Emu I also have a 24' Trophy and I do all my fishing out of Seward. You get some chop in the afternoons but not anything like the chop I have experienced in Passage Canal out of Whittier. I like PWS okay and fished there a lot in the 80's & 90's but have found the fishing to be better and the fish easier to find out of Seward. I don't know if there is better Silver fishing anywhere than you find out of Seward in July. I'm "The Jubilee" if you see me out on the water.

I personally love both places, but it is hard to beat Seward for pure fishing. It really is great. That said, it is also very, very ugly sometimes as the seas can get dangerous for small boats. Like it has been mentioned, staying put during a small craft advisory is a great idea. So is staying out of the open Pacific when the forecast calls for sea conditions larger than 5-7feet or so as it can get nasty and dangerous with the wrong tide and wind combination. There is no question that you can fish a lot of days out of Seward in your boat, and many times it is surprisingly nice, but there are also going to be a good number of days where the best place to be in the boat is tied snuggly to the dock in the harbor. I don't know about the rest of the gang here, but my fair weather observation is that if it sucks in the bay, it is probably better out of it as often the winds lie right down as one gets out of that vortex. If it flat calm inside the bay with thick clouds and heavy rain, it is probably much worse outside. Sometimes, when the stars align just right, it is calm everywhere. God I love those days We sure had a number of them last summer.