Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there ANY rules regarding the taking of sucker fish?

Default Are there ANY rules regarding the taking of sucker fish?

long nose suckers......i see em in creeks sometimes and along the lake shores...are there any rules or regs to harvesting them? spearing legal? snagging even?

Release Lake Trout

Generally speaking "Other finfish" have no bag or possession limit. According to ADF&G "it is unlawful to intentionally snag or attempt to snag ANY fish in fresh water." I don't know about the spear fishing thing, though.

i just think spearing would be the most effective way to get a good bunch of em....they really school up good in places like fish creek below big lake.

Release Lake Trout

When I was a kid we used a frog gig to spear the smaller suckers and use them for pike bait.

Are you talking about these things?

If so these are burbot and the limit is 5/day 5/possession. Check the regulations for any restriction on the location you want to fish as well as methods and means but I am pretty sure that a spear is not authorized. I do believe that a trot line can be used in certain areas under strict rules.

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...nosesucker.php

Spears, bow and arrow—for whitefish and suckers:
     Unless otherwise provided, whitefish may be taken with spears or bow and arrow October 1–March 31. Unless otherwise provided, suckers may be taken with spears or bow and arrow year-round. Arrows must have a barbed tip and be attached by a line to the bow (‘bow’ means a long bow, recurve bow, compound bow, or crossbow).

Jake, This is for Upper Copper area..... read the link, then tell me where they are.
    Mike

back up a bit is that a burbot on a fly?

NICE
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

nope Lujon talkin bout the long nose suckers.....I know what burbot are caught enough of them I should know haha.

Release Lake Trout

i will be up just north of anchorage begining of june maybe i will be able to find some of them suckers to shoot. they start running in northern mn around early may. gotta love bowfishing

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    back up a bit is that a burbot on a fly?

NICE
    Not my pic, stole it from the web but it sure looks like it.

Hmmm, sucker fish, guess I need to get out more! My whole life in AK and I have seen all kinds of fish but never been in the right spot to see a suckerfish I guess

their all thru the northwest.....in idahos st.joe river ive caught them up to 4 feet long and 15lbs. seemed to get em on worms mostly down there. up here the biggest ive seen was maybe 20"....

Release Lake Trout

Default I'm curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    long nose suckers......i see em in creeks sometimes and along the lake shores...are there any rules or regs to harvesting them? spearing legal? snagging even?
    ... why do you want to catch them? In many states they are considered "trash fish". The only use I can see for them is for bait, and I'm not sure that is allowed.

Sorry, I know I said the same thing about sculpins, but I'm always looking for clarification myself.

wanna see if theyll work for laker and burbot bait...

Release Lake Trout

Default Gotcha

wanna see if theyll work for laker and burbot bait...
    Betcha they'd be good for that. But seriously, might want to talk to the Brownshirts about that as I'm pretty sure they are still considered a regular freshwater fish. Some troopers would probably look at a catch of them and say nothing, but then every so often you run into one who has a case of hemorrhoids when it comes to the letter of the law.

I'm just curious. Do any of you actually have a copy of the sport fishing regulations? This is spelled out for you there. See page 4 under "Use of sport-caught fish as bait:".

i believe as longas its not a game fish......you can use whitefish as bait legally, so why not suckers.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'm just curious. Do any of you actually have a copy of the sport fishing regulations? This is spelled out for you there. See page 4 under "Use of sport-caught fish as bait:".

Use of sport-caught fish as bait: (1) Whitefish, herring, and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75, as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes. (2) Herring and other species of fish for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 may be used as live bait, except that live fish may not be used as bait for sport fishing in fresh water. (3) Live bait may be possessed, transported, or released only in the salt waters or the regulatory area in which it was taken.

As far as I know, suckers are not fish with "seasonal or harvest limits".

They work great for lakers, have never caught a burbot on one though...

Default here we go

Wasting of fish: The intentional waste or destruction of any species of sport-caught fish is prohibited. However, whitefish, herring, and other species for which bag limits, seasons, or other regulatory methods and means are not provided in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 (area-specific regulations), as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes.

Release Lake Trout

Default and here as well

Use of sport-caught fish as bait: (1) Whitefish, herring, and other species for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75, as well as the head, tail, fins, and viscera of legally taken sport fish, may be used for bait or other purposes. (2) Herring and other species of fish for which no seasonal or harvest limits are specified in 5 AAC 47 - 5 AAC 75 may be used as live bait, except that live fish may not be used as bait for sport fishing in fresh water. (3) Live bait may be possessed, transported, or released only in the salt waters or the regulatory area in which it was taken.

Release Lake Trout

Default Thanks Jake

I've wanted to target them on our local lakes, and now I have a reason!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast