Thread: All things considered..

Default All things considered..

I am thinking about getting rid of my motorcycle and buying an ATV, as it seems there is very little time to ride up here, and I might get more use from an ATV. Researching, there seems be few places few places to ride them for recreation around Anchorage.

Is this the case or am I not looking into the right places?

Or maybe I would get more use from a snow machine.
    “You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

Palmer, AK

Getting an ATV will extend your riding season over a street bike. But just like a street bike, you will have to make sure you get out and ride. I have friends that have every toy imaginable and still never seem to use any of them. I have a Yamaha Rhino 660 and a Yamaha Grizzly 700. I ride every chance I get...all year long!! Don't believe can ride an ATV year round up here. I do it!!! I have a heater in my Rhino and heated grips on my Grizzly to get me through the winter season.

I don't have a sled but all my friends do. They always complain about the snow conditions or lack of every winter. They seem to do a lot of driving to find good snow. I can ride at my house in Palmer or out at Jim Creek all winter on my ATVs. Just something to think about...

As far as trails around Anchorage all depends on what you call close.

You can ride at:

Jim Creek (35 minutes from Anchorage)
    Eklutna (25 minutes from Anchorage)
    Bird Creek (30 minutes from Anchorage)
    Wasilla (Baldy)
    Willow (Hatcher's Pass)
    Sutton (Eska Falls)
    Seward (Bear Creek Trail)
    Petersville (2 hours from Palmer on the Parks Hwy)
    Eureka (2 hours from Palmer on the Glenn Hwy)
    Denali Hwy
    King's River (30 minutes north of Palmer on the Glenn Hwy)

There are tons more trails around the area that are easy day trips from Anchorage. Follow this link:

You will need to register on the site, then look at the forums, then go to the section that says "Alaska Trails". If you don't register you will not see it. It is a members section not visible to guest.

Better yet, join the club and come out on club rides held all summer long. The club will help you learn the trails and what you can do with your ATV. It's a great way to have fun and meet new folks and future riding buddies!!!

If you get your ATV soon you can come out the the Jim Creek Clean-up. The last two years we have had 425 and 375 registered folks, respectively, at this event. That is a great way to meet folks and get the riding season started.

Now, all you have to do is decide what ATv you want. If you ask me, I will tell you Yamaha...but that is because they have been reliable for me for the last 13 years. The Grizzly 550 and 700 are the Yamaha "hot" quads right now. If you want to learn more about them go to the link in my signature. Look me up over there and say hello. It's the biggest and best Yamaha Grizzly Site on the planet!

I am sure others will point you to other quads and be able to provide links to information for those brands. I have owned several different brands and ride with evey brand made...after all that, I'll stick with my Yamahas.

Good luck and let me know if you need any more information or can't find the trails section of the ATV club forum.

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS

Wow...great info. Just what I was looking for.

“You touch my junk, I'm going to have you arrested.” - Groping objector

Eagle River

I agree with AKMuddy. If you can only have one toy, get the ATV. You'll get more use out of it then a sled. We have both, and enjoy riding both ATV's and Sleds, but an ATV can be ridden in any weather. We ride when it's hot, dusty, rainy, muddy, and even ride on snow provided it's not deep with our ATV's. If we have a good snow year we will switch to sleds for the winter, if it's a crappy snow year we keep on riding the ATV's. Like AKMuddy, our ATV's have hot grips. I wear my sledding gear in the winter when I ride my ATV and stay perfectly comfortable.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Eagle River

Default ATV definitely

I've got five snowmachines and three ATVs. Barely get any use of the snowgos as the riding season for that is roughly Dec (iffy) through April. Have to wait for the ice to get safe on the rivers and lakes and by then it can get rather cold & uncomfortable out there through January. I've always got the family or I wouldn't care so much.
    Wheelers I use almost year 'round. Take mine up to the Iditarod with the sleds as we put on quite a gathering of friends & family. Ride it roughly from then until the snow gets too deep in late Nov-Dec.
    I always tell people that when I got my first ATV, I expected 90% play and 10% utility use of it. I found the opposite was true. I work the heck out of mine around the yard. Got a little utility trailer for it and now my wheelbarrow is all rusty - raking leaves, moving dirt, hauling tools. I've got a cabin up north as well and I never go there without at least one ATV to work with. My babies have paid for themselves many times over in savings from a back-crack-quack.
    Oh and did I mention, they are a HELL OF A LOT OF FUN! Amazing where you can go and what you can see!