Thread: cabo 40 or 50?

Default cabo 40 or 50?

just wondering if anyone has any experiences with these? would the 40 be big enough for kings while still working for other species on something like a 8'6" MH or would you go for 50, then again would that be to big for smaller stuff? Thoughts?

Where are you planning to fish?

Default rivers

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Where are you planning to fish?
    Really all over, On the kenai, kasilof, ship creek and maybe the russian.

Are you stuck on using a spinning reel? I quit using spinning reels for all salmon about the second year I lived up here (about 18 years ago). Casting reels, IMHO, are usually easier to manage in the type of fishing you do on the Kasilof or Kenai. I've caught kings no more than 10 ft. from the bank on the Kasilof. In other words you don't have to cast for them.

In most of these streams/rivers you're going to encounter "combat fishing" situations so the stoutest gear you can find is the most user friendly thing to have---when you have someone about 10 ft. away from you and you have a fish on you're prime concern is going to be getting that fish in as fast as you can.

Are you familiar with king fishing from the bank on the Kenai? It can be done, but most people that do it have done it before. Can you imagine hooking into a 60 lb. king in a 5 mph current with only about 100 ft. of bank to work with. It's a tricky situation.

Default Quantum Cabo

I bought, and had my clients on Ship Creek use, the Cabo 50 PTs when I a little charters business walking clients into the creek several years back. They are AWESOME reels. Super drag and parts.

The first time I used them was on the Deshka, on a charter, and I loved the action. It was probably the first time I realized how important drag was in fighting and landing a big fish...

So on Ship Creek I had my clients use the Cabo 50s for kings, but found they were overkill for silvers (and smaller adults and kids had trouble with their size), and I went to a small baitcaster in that situation.

Since then I have changed tactics somewhat and agree with Muttley Crew Dave, in using baitcasters exclusively in my charters...

Makes more sense now. I thought you were talking about one of these:

http://www.caboyachts.com/

It didn't make sense that they would have a 8.5' beam either. Guess that's why it's posted in the fishing forum not the power boating forum. Now I understand...
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

LOL! I'd take one of those Cabo 40's any time!

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    Are you stuck on using a spinning reel? I quit using spinning reels for all salmon about the second year I lived up here (about 18 years ago). Casting reels, IMHO, are usually easier to manage in the type of fishing you do on the Kasilof or Kenai. I've caught kings no more than 10 ft. from the bank on the Kasilof. In other words you don't have to cast for them.

In most of these streams/rivers you're going to encounter "combat fishing" situations so the stoutest gear you can find is the most user friendly thing to have---when you have someone about 10 ft. away from you and you have a fish on you're prime concern is going to be getting that fish in as fast as you can.

Are you familiar with king fishing from the bank on the Kenai? It can be done, but most people that do it have done it before. Can you imagine hooking into a 60 lb. king in a 5 mph current with only about 100 ft. of bank to work with. It's a tricky situation.
    its all a matter of preference, i'll take a spinning reel ver those open faced bait casters any day. Then again I like to fish not mess w/ snarls and back lashes