Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Chrony is in...

Default New Chrony is in...

Hey I'm excited now, got the new Chrony in the mail from Midway, did the somewhat less expensive option, the ProChrono by Competition Electronics. a bit surprised at how light weight it feels tho but gotta be cool on the expenditures so hopefully....

Instructions say for Rifles to set it up 10-15 feet away? to avoid muzzleblast that seems a bit far as well as being way out into the range for a tripod mount, etc.

Any advice, can I get away with five feet out front so I can still see the readout and operate w/o the remote? Our range is pretty deserted so not a wait for other guys thing too often in winter anyway.
    Five ft seems enough to avoid muzzleblast but have you guys found other factors to distance to setting up?

Other tips to know about accurate readings, etc.?
    It's bright and Sunny out right now, should I wait a couple hours til it gets cloudy again....Ha
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I have found that I have to get 3 paces, or about 12 ft to keep the muzzle blast from blowing off the white plastic diffusers when shooting my magnum loads. I also try to use the same distance every time. I have no trouble reading the display form that distance.

Good Luck, to me a chrony is required equipment for a handloader.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Any advice, can I get away with five feet out front so I can still see the readout and operate w/o the remote? Our range is pretty deserted so not a wait for other guys thing too often in winter anyway.

Five ft seems enough to avoid muzzleblast but have you guys found other factors to distance to setting up?

Other tips to know about accurate readings, etc.?
    It's bright and Sunny out right now, should I wait a couple hours til it gets cloudy again....Ha
    A couple of pointers on the CE chronograph. DO NOT use sabot ammo through this unit. Don't ask me how I know this, but the sabot can destroy the LCD.

Keep the unit level with the shooting platform/bore axis for reliable results. In certain light the diffusers are helpful, but I frequently use mine with only the rods in place--easier set up IMO.

Firing smaller cartridges distance may not be as important, but with larger cartridges the muzzle blast will cause erratic readings if the unit is too close. I agree with Stid, 3 paces is a good minimum, though I use 15 feet as my standard measure. A piece of measured nylon cord with a inexpensive line level will quicken your setup time. Secure the cord to your rifle rest and use it to level and measure the distance to your chrony. I suppose that reading the LCD gets difficult at certain distances, but at 15 feet it has never been a problem for me.

Default Yep, I'm pretty convinced

Thanks Stid, was hoping someone would reply quick, waiting to get out the road right now. I have been convinced of the value of Velocity readings by several of the serious reloaders on here,

This Forum is really a great thing for the new guys.

Remembering posting a question about how best to mount my press on my reloaders bench, then going out and drilling holes without waiting for the wisdom of the forums to come back. So, of course I come back in and find everyone telling me not to mount it dead center like i had just done in my impatience to get started... So, back out to try it out and sure enough the Forums guys were right, redrilled and mounted as they said.....

Other tips on dealing with sunshine, etc. would be great. Looks like my first try will be Bright, and Sunny, a rarity in Kodiak but
    Just have to deal with it
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Sunny = Diffusers

So a sunny day I should use the light diffusers right? or not critical, It won't be direct sun as our 100yd range is pretty heavily wooded.

Also I have to do about 12-15 degree uphill to target so is it critical to have the unit leveled with the Bore? like string level critical or eyeball it?

I imagine the bullet passing thru the triangles anywhere is fine or snug it up so the bullet passes closer to the sensors vs. farther away?

Only loading for 270wsm and also running 22lr and 9mm thru it for now

So a sunny day I should use the light diffusers right? or not critical, It won't be direct sun as our 100yd range is pretty heavily wooded.

Also I have to do about 12-15 degree uphill to target so is it critical to have the unit leveled with the Bore? like string level critical or eyeball it?

I imagine the bullet passing thru the triangles anywhere is fine or snug it up so the bullet passes closer to the sensors vs. farther away?

Only loading for 270wsm and also running 22lr and 9mm thru it for now
    The brighter the ambient light the more critical the diffusers are to use. Accuracy is based on consistency so having a level flight path through the screens is important. I have target boards fashioned to hold my targets at bore height and I level the screens to the bore axis. Is it perfectly square, probably not, but it's within a degree or two. What you do not want is a bullet passing through the screens cattywompus which will not give accurate readings this time or consistent readings with the next time you use your chronograph. I place my bullets through the center of the screens, that way they are further from damaging the chrono should something go a bit amiss. Enjoy your new chrono.

Default stability a key?

Thanks 1 Cor,
    I got out there today, in bright light mixed with shadows, used the diffusers and seemed to get good readings (I'll post some about them later when I have my log book with me)
    Question was I set it up on a tripod and it was blowing about 20knots maybe 25 with some gusts and I wonder, if it is moving around a bit does that totally mess with good readings?

Do you use it on a tripod or set it up on a table? I think I got it pretty close to parallel with bullet path and about 15ft out there. Adjusted so the bullet would pass through the lower third of the triangle area, Worked pretty well and the readings seemed progressively higher with powder charge increase.

I love it, now just need to learn how to interpret the data

Thanks 1 Cor,
    I got out there today, in bright light mixed with shadows, used the diffusers and seemed to get good readings (I'll post some about them later when I have my log book with me) Question was I set it up on a tripod and it was blowing about 20knots maybe 25 with some gusts and I wonder, if it is moving around a bit does that totally mess with good readings?
    If the wind is howling you might try a weighted bag suspended from the tripod to add stability, I do that for my spotting scope. 20-25 knot wind would make it difficult to assess the accuracy of my handloads, but I do not think it would have an effect on the outcome of your chronograph or its readings.

Default just gusty

It was pretty much just gusty so I was waiting to pull the trigger and felt I was getting away with shooting today, mostly had to try the Chrony sooner rather than later.

your idea of weight bag is great tho I'll do that, it seemed the Chrony is a bit large for a tripod with Diffusers up in the wind etc. I got a good tripod tho so ...on most days... it'll probably be fine

I Cor 15:19 aren't you living way up north in the flat and windy country? how do you deal with the wind on the range, just wait it out? or try to shoot during the lulls, I know that's a crazy question but Kodiak is a bit windy also and my patience is still developing

I Cor 15:19 aren't you living way up north in the flat and windy country? how do you deal with the wind on the range, just wait it out? or try to shoot during the lulls, I know that's a crazy question but Kodiak is a bit windy also and my patience is still developing
    "Way up north" is a bit relative here in AK isn't it? There are flats and hills where I am located on the coast so the wind is normally blowing, sometimes it's howling. Thankfully our shooting range is on a piece of property that has been graded with 10-15+ feet banks on three sides. Tailwinds can be strong, but the banks help shield the range in other directions. I am not suggesting not shooting in the wind. I hunt in the wind and so practicing shooting in the wind is very helpful. What I was suggesting is that developing accuracy loads in heavy wind would try the patience of Job. Keep up the good shooting.

Default here's some #'s

So here's some numbers from the new Chrony, sound about right?

setup approx 12 ft from muzzle

.22lr out of Single Six (Rem "Golden bullet")

.22 Mag from Single Six (CCI Maxi Mag)

.270 WSM Federal Factory 130gr SP Powr Shok
    .270 WSM Remington Factory 130gr Core-lokt FSP

With my handloads I found a much tighter variance between rounds than these factory loads above, some 3 shot groups with same powder loads to vary 3fps, or 8fps, and others to vary 36fps or even 51fps
    the average variance to be about 8-12 fps through the three rounds

Have a lot to learn about how to use this to work up loads so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

How to start, trying to match book numbers for velocity?

Default Temp question for speeds

Also was shooting in 30F yesterday, did not miss any readings w/ProChrono (was a little curious about battery reliability)

as I am reading older posts about Chrony's I see mention of higher velocity in a round that sits in the warm chamber for a few seconds as opposed to one just chambered and fired?

Is this too much detail to wonder how you guys do this or adjust for it? I leave the bolt open between rounds for cooling effect until just shortly before firing so it's all cold. Trying to keep it all uniform but wondering about temp factor after yesterday. I usually shoot at 40F or so and figure hunting will be all cold.

this is probably for the Handloading Forum but I also had a few delay fires when using CCI 200's and RL-19 but none with 200's and H4831sc and also no problems with CCI 250's in 30F (probably 20F windchill)

Have fun with your new chrono. As it was said, it is essential to handloading. It's really nice to know exactly what your handloads are doing out of that particular rifle, rather than just guessing.

I just set mine on a portable table I bring shooting and shoot over it, when I'm working up a load. I got tired of messing with tripods in the wind. (seems like it's always windy here) I'll toss a sandbag on it when its really windy.

this is probably for the Handloading Forum but I also had a few delay fires when using CCI 200's and RL-19 but none with 200's and H4831sc and also no problems with CCI 250's in 30F (probably 20F windchill)
    What exactly is a delay fire?

Default sorry, meant Hang-fire?

I can't remember the term I read it somewhere but "delayfire" is my wording for primer problem in igniting powder probably due to using the wrong primer or whatever else...

After pulling the trigger, a slight delay to the point of hearing the click of the firing pin before round going off

I'm doing a total blank on the right terminology right now, but I mark em in the log as DF.

Maybe it's supposed to be a "Hang-fire"??

ALL I AM GOING TO OFFER IS THAT A 40 GR NOSLER AT 4150 FPS WILL AND DOES VOID THE WARRANTY ON ALL CHRONOS UP ON IMPACT WITH SAID CHRONO !! FULLCURL

I can't remember the term I read it somewhere but "delayfire" is my wording for primer problem in igniting powder probably due to using the wrong primer or whatever else...

After pulling the trigger, a slight delay to the point of hearing the click of the firing pin before round going off

I'm doing a total blank on the right terminology right now, but I mark em in the log as DF.

Maybe it's supposed to be a "Hang-fire"??

I think the word you were looking for is "hangfire".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I shoot more than a lot, and I've never had a hang fire.. You got something going on..

Default happened twice?

I had it happen twice, once for a couple low end loads and another for a whole set of work up loads and both when using CCI 200's that were bought in Jan. and stored well, loaded with a hand primer tool and definitely not touched by hand in the process. Both shot in about 30F weather with RL 19 the first time and RL-15 the time it was for the entire load range
    but these are only recommended for 270wsm by the Speer book and no others recommend less than LRMagnum primers.

So I figured it was the wrong primer for the caliber ( I have tried some rem 9 1/2 (non magnum) also with no problems.

Any ideas other than too light primer for the weather and caliber?

This is a fairly new Sako 85, only about 300 rounds fired so far

I would say they are defective. I would dispose of them and not fire anymore of them.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast