Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many days plan on the alaska highway??

Default How many days plan on the alaska highway??

How many days should I plan to be on the ALCAN? I plan on getting the milepost. I am trying to figure out my trip from Miami to my next duty station in Valdez. I hear good things about the trip. Just trying to figure out my departure date from the in-laws in NJ. Will be entering Canada through looks like Emerson on I-29.

Plan to average 50mph, and figure out how many hours you want to drive per day. Some people do it in 2 days, others spend a week. I would recomend allowing a bit more time then a bit less, you may have a flat tire or two, and you may want to allow some time to see wildlife, stop here and there and otherwise enjoy the drive vs. just getting through as fast as possible.

I planned two weeks but ended up taking a month. It's tough to leave good fishing to go find more fishing.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I can't take longer. Not looking at making it a quick trip. I would like to stop off at the sites after I pick up the milepost and plan on more time. At the moment I believe I have planned on 8 days from NJ (border of Philly) to Anchorage. I think the major issue I will have is bringing a cat and dog.

It's important that their papers are in order. We drove up from WPB. We raced up to BC, then slowed down to a crawl. If you aren't familiar with Canada, there are a few things you need to know.
    1. Gas is quite a bit more expensive
    2. When you get to the Canadian Customs ask where the nearest Tim Horton's is. You are guaranteed a hassle free visit once they see you want a french crueller and a coffee.
    3. Hit the hot springs.
    4. Fill up at each gas station.
    5. Enjoy the drive. It's a great stretch of road.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I have 31 days from Orlando. 31 days is what the shipping company told me once I drop of the POV to ship to pick-up. But I have to do the "farewell" tour and say by to the family before I move up. Definitely want see the sights. Which is why I need to figure out how long to plan in Canada.

Also, when is the best time to enter the US/Canada border? I am assuming first thing in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Floridascuba View Post
    IAlso, when is the best time to enter the US/Canada border? I am assuming first thing in the morning.
    If you look like a dirty hippy do it in the evening while it is snowing. They get discouraged about having to unload a truck in the snow and just pass you through after looking at the mess they have to sort through.

I all depends on the people at that station. Other than that one time in 1988 when I was a dirty hippy, I have never had an issue at any time. Of course don't go to some backwater in Montana at 2am. It will be closed.

Default Slow drivers

I drove up from Syracuse NY in 99 with my Labrador. The first day was short, stopping in Dayton Ohio to say high to family. It only took me five more days to make it across Canada and just past the border at Tok on July 4th 1999. On the seventh day I eased up and made it into Anchorage on July 5th sometime in the early evening.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default 4 days easy

Drove up from ND to Anchorage in '06 and 4 days was a pretty easy drive. Stayed each night in a hotel and didn't drive to hard. 3 days would be no problem and my bro made it once in 2 1/2.

Best time to cross the border through ND would be early morning. You could stay in Fargo or Grand Forks and be up there in time to catch 'em after their morning coffee. No Tim Hortons at the Pembina Crossing though I don't believe.

Plan ahead if you're looking for a hotel around Fort Nelson. Busy Busy up there with the oil biz boys. Gas is spendy up there... be prepared, and don't let yourself drive past one of those stations.

Definitely check out the Liard Hot Springs.

Good Luck and Safe Travels!

I just did the drive, a few weeks ago from Portland Oregon, stopping in Seattle and Bellingham for a several hours each then going pretty much straight at it til Anch (stopping for nights of course)and it was a total of Five days, 2600 miles, $360 in gas(that's a small car @33+ mpg tho).
    I have done it four times now and would advocate, "Taking your time" versus slamming it out.

Check out the thread "Alcan Hwy is Great Today" for more details of exchange rate, costs in Canada, etc and a few photos for your motivation

It's a nice drive, the scenery is worth it, and buy groceries and stuff in the states FOR SURE, the Can prices are a serious gouge.

I think you're gonna avg $4.20/gal maybe more,

PM me if you want my most recent Milepost, has a few notes in it but I seem to get a new one every time and I don't need this one, it is the '09 version. I'll stick it in the mail tomorrow, save ya some $

Have Fun
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

While driving up through Canada, before you get to the Alaska Highway. I would highly suggest driving through the Canadian Rockies on your way. Banff and Jasper can be really crowded with tourist. But the drive between the two places is spectacular to say the least.

Don't drive into the "turnouts" at the bottom of steep hills, they are soft gravel runouts to catch big-rigs that cannot slow down. One of my brothers thought it would be a good place to pull over for a rest break. Nope. Mountie drove by a couple hours later and pulled him out. Mountie had a pretty good laugh.

Crossing the border is 50/50. Sometimes you can catch the canucks at a bad time and you'll get the hassle, but then I have had personal acquaintances tell me the worst are the 'mercans coming back in. Then again my mom has never had a hard time, and she drives a motor home back and forth from Seattle up into Canada two to three times a year for the past 15 years. And one time another of my brothers was waved through both the Canadian and American sides in Prince Rupert to get on the ferry.

If I were doing it I too would not be in a terrible hurry, I like looking at scenery and stopping at little places for a bite to eat or have a cuppa joe.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by chobbs View Post
    While driving up through Canada, before you get to the Alaska Highway. I would highly suggest driving through the Canadian Rockies on your way. Banff and Jasper can be really crowded with tourist. But the drive between the two places is spectacular to say the least.
    Agree!! Although you will need a large memory card for the camera and extra time to stop and take pictures.

Default how are the weather and roads?

im gonna be leaving from colorado next week and was just wondering if anybody has drove up recently?

i saw the post from kodiak from a couple of weeks ago and the roads looked relatively dry.. has there been a significant amount of snow fallen since then?

how has the weather been on around the kenai peninsula?

its been nice and sunny and warm here in the colorado rockies!

thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by rivermountaingnar42 View Post
    i saw the post from kodiak from a couple of weeks ago and the roads looked relatively dry.. has there been a significant amount of snow fallen since then?

how has the weather been on around the kenai peninsula?

its been nice and sunny and warm here in the colorado rockies!

thanks!
    Snowed all day here in Anchorage, today.....

Beware that spring snow does happen in the passes and sometimes a lot. I have had that hold me up for 5 days before. Also why going into Canada at Emerson? I feel unless you really want to see more of Canada I would go to Montana before turning north. Gas is a lot more in Canada and not that beautiful until western Alberta and BC north. If you have someone to trade off driving you can go faster but for me I usually take 7 days to the mid west but I like to soak at the hot springs and take my time.just my 2 cents

I drove up from Biloxi, MS pulling a 24 ft trailer with twin two year olds in the truck; took 11 days total to Anchorage. If you are not pulling a trailer it is much faster. Take your time and enjoy the ride.

BTW; entered Canada through North Portal, ND.
    Last edited by ADUKHNT; 04-14-2010 at 23:36. Reason: add info
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Quote Originally Posted by power drifter View Post
    Beware that spring snow does happen in the passes and sometimes a lot. I have had that hold me up for 5 days before. Also why going into Canada at Emerson? I feel unless you really want to see more of Canada I would go to Montana before turning north. Gas is a lot more in Canada and not that beautiful until western Alberta and BC north. If you have someone to trade off driving you can go faster but for me I usually take 7 days to the mid west but I like to soak at the hot springs and take my time.just my 2 cents
    I am not set on Emerson. It was just the most direct route via google maps. I just recevied the Milepost care of Kodiakrain, so I will start planning out. And I will truck on down further in the US before the Northward track. Plus it doesn't hurt to take in other peoples recommendations for the trip. The hot springs are a definite stop.

I drove up in December of 03 with a 2 year old and a 5 year old in a rear wheel drive car. It took me 7 days (northern Minnesota to Fairbanks). Anything other then that should be a breeze and take much less time.
    Alaska, the Madness; Bloggity Stories of the North
    http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Does this shotgun make my butt look big?

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

If I were coming from the East coast, I'd hit I-90 and then go straight through too I-15. Take I-15 North through Edmonton and then cut over too Watson Lake. I drove from Anchorage too MT in May of 2008. Left Anchorage at 10:30 PM on Monday and was in Seattle at 2:30 PM on Wed. Another 16 hours from their to Eastern MT. Drove back in Oct 2009. Left Eastern MT at 5:00 AM on a Friday and was in Cantwell at 8:30 PM Sunday. Did the drive with a Golden Retriver. Your pets will need to have all their shots up to date including rabies shots. They will then need a travel certificate signed by a Vet. This has to be done no longer than 90 prior to traveling through Canada I believe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast