Thread: Whittier tunnel?

Default Whittier tunnel?

Can you pre pay for the tunnel?

thanks
    Boatless

Yes, you can buy a book of tickets. It gives you a slight break in price.
    Check out http://www.dot.state.ak.us/creg/whit...el/tolls.shtml

I went down there a few weeks back and bought the $450 pack of tickets (Class B1 I think), which gave me a $5 break per trip. The big pack is 30 tickets, and can only be bought at the tunnel booth.

On a side note, here's a shot from the Whittier webcam as of 5 mins ago. Dang, I really wish I wasn't confined to my office right now...

p.s. The time stamp is UTC, not local.
    Attached Images Attached Images

thanks for the reply, but I don't want to buy a book just one at a time. I'm considered a class E
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    thanks for the reply, but I don't want to buy a book just one at a time. I'm considered a class E
    Gotcha. They don't even offer books of tickets for class E. I can't believe they charge you $300 per trip. That's horrible! Unfortunately, the only place to pay your tunnel fare is directly at the tunnel booth. I had called them earlier in the season trying to find out if I could purchase tickets online or via mail, and they simply said "no".

do they take Credit cards at the tunnel?
    Boatless

Yes, they do take credit cards.

Kingfisher 2825 behind Pickup. So, would I be considered class B2? ($35)

"FISHFACE", that $300/trip is a crock. That's hard to imagine. Since it's all one way traffic anyway, what difference does it make if your a foot wider. I guess they charge that because they can.

It sure is not cheap, but we have a slip in Seward so I won't have to pay it too many times this season. I also called a tunnel employee to ask him about "the tunnel restriction times " he told me me there where no such thing and that I just had to wait for everyone else to go in front of me.
    Boatless

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    I also called a tunnel employee to ask him about "the tunnel restriction times " he told me me there where no such thing and that I just had to wait for everyone else to go in front of me.
    I am most positive that this is false. I remember talking with an older gentleman with a large bowpicker down there last year, and he said there was only three or four days a week that they allowed oversized boats to go through the tunnel. I would try to call again and speak to a supervisor or some other higher-up about that if I were you. It would certainly suck to tow that big 'ol boat of yours down there just to find out that you couldn't get through.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    I am most positive that this is false. I remember talking with an older gentleman with a large bowpicker down there last year, and he said there was only three or four days a week that they allowed oversized boats to go through the tunnel. I would try to call again and speak to a supervisor or some other higher-up about that if I were you. It would certainly suck to tow that big 'ol boat of yours down there just to find out that you couldn't get through.
    That is what I thought. What they say and what they do are two different things from my experience. I have never had a problem towing through.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

just spoke with the "head man in charge" and he said that they originally had that rule in place, but have decided not to follow through with it because they found there just aren't that many boats that meet that size that go through the tunnel. Just like the person before said, I may have to go last.
    Boatless

About one year ago, I spoke to and emailed the Director of the Whittier Tunnel and the Whittier Mayor and asked them to attempt to reduce the excessive Class E fees for the tunnel. They both said that they would try to get the fee reduced. That apparently has not happened.

But, what Spoiled One said is true, "What they say and what they do are two different things". I do not know of anyone who has had to pay the $300 Class E fee even though the rules require it. It will be interesting what you actually have to pay to go through the tunnel.

Keep us informed if you would.

well if I show up with my pilot car and tell them I'm not a E class you don't think they'll say anything?
    Boatless

The pilot car could be a big give-a-way as to the size of your boat. I don't really know what they would do. Last year, they threatened to station an Alaska State Trooper at the ticket booth to verify sizes and permits.

Good Luck

The tunnle people look at your wide load permit if you are oversized. If you want to lie to them, then you first have to lie on your permit. I have not ever been checked, but I hear that the troopers will measure you if they pull you over.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I'm not too worried about it. If I can afford the fuel bill I'm sure the extra $175 won't kill me ( even though it's totally ridiculous to have to pay that much more). I'll just pay it. I already have my permit set up with DOT
    Boatless