Thread: Lab is getting long in the tooth, need advice.

Exclamation Lab is getting long in the tooth, need advice.

Our family dog is getting up in age, he will be 10 this spring. Our daughters both love him dearly and I would not want to have a time without a dog in our home.
    So this is the question, when to introduce a new pup into our family? "T" our 10year old is in good health but I do not want to hurt his feelings with the introduction of a new pup.
    Spring is here, so this might be a good time?

Thanks for the help.
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

Got a 11year old lab and added a pup two years ago best thing I could have done for him and me ,he still hunts not long but hard .The best part is the pup probly added a couple years to his life ,so we both win

Default It is spring

It is a great time to get outside and spend time with that new pup outdoors. The older dog may get irritated by a pup but they will learn to get along. Get a female good luck
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

The last time we went through this bringing a pup in was the best thing that could have happened to the old guy. It energized him and brought some of his "old puppy" out playing the games with the young one. I agree with the previous post that it added time to his life and that was quality time for the whole family.

I would say if the dog you already have isnt aggresive towards other animals, then definitely get a pup before the older one passes, it will most likely add some life and zeal to the older dog and wont leave you without a hunting partner when the older dog passes. While its hard to lose a pet the new addition of a pup might ease some of the pain when the time comes.
    Jesse
    HR SHR JR's Gunny Dog "Ermey"
    SR JR's Marsh Mangling Mindy
    SR JR's LNR Thicket Thrashing Trixie

Just don't do what I did- Got 2. Life hasn't been the same since.

Default We have made our decision. NEW PUP COMING!

Well kill 2 birds with 1 pup on this one!
    Little ones birthday is coming soon, and we have decided to get her a pup.
    Of course I will be doing all the clean up, training, and reassembling of things destructed by our new member.
    Anyone know of a litter coming uip soon please let me know, I will be searching all of the local clubs this week.
    Would like another black male lab. (only 1 Salmon Master !)
    Thanks for the help, we are a dog loving family.
    Kurt
    There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Getting another dog.

I've "layered" dogs most of my adult life. Here is the good thing about getting a new pup when your current dogs are still around. You don't miss the older dog yet because he's still there so you don't do much comparing. This is a whole new unique personality not a replacement so I think your training may be better. The older dog helps train the new dog in socializing, manners, and being a draw to get out on a field or swimming. My 9 yr old lab was a new dad with 9 pups crawling all over him, great with the pups. He was retired by then with arthritis and lived to 14. (Really 1 yr too long for his condition). For me its easier emotionally to have other dogs around when one has to be put down. It's still sad but you can still get out and do dog work. I think the best time to add another dog is when the youngest is at least 4 or at a comfortable level of training. Last time I got a pup I got Jackie Mertens Sound Beginnings video. It helped remind me of puppy work and gave me even more to work with at a good pace.
    Here is one bad thing about a new pup. The older dog may get jealous and try to injure the pup. That happened with our last pup, son of the 14 yr old. The older dog had a history of aggression, insecurity, and after working with him for 8 years we opted to put him down when he attacked the 8 week old female for the 3rd time biting me on the ankle in the process. The other issue we had was the son had pushed the dad around when he knew he could. The son was 2, dad 11 both intact. I've had two intact older males with no problems until this younger dog started feeling his oats.

http://www.alaskadognews.com

Unhappy nice topic

nice topic~~~