Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: moose shoulder shots

Default moose shoulder shots

when u shoot a moose in the shoulder how much meat do u loose? and when u brake them dose it only make 2 holes in the shoulder blade or completely brake them in half? and witch wuld u rather take shoulder or heart and lung shot?

Angry Schooling

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    when u shoot a moose in the shoulder how much meat do u loose? and when u brake them dose it only make 2 holes in the shoulder blade or completely brake them in half? and witch wuld u rather take shoulder or heart and lung shot?

By the way, shoot behind the shoulder, you will not waste as much meat.
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-08-2010 at 09:08.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheep Hunter View Post

By the way, shoot behind the shoulder, you will not waste as much meat.

On your query about shoulder shots luisss, I can't say for certain on a moose as I am yet to shoot one, but I have shot alot of other creatures in the past, and the shoulder shot is a favorite of mine. Game generally doesn't go far, and I have never noticed any huge meat loss issues from shoulder shots. Also the shoulder shot generally puts a hole in the shoulder bone as opposed to actually breaking it in two. Just remember that if you are plannig on using this type of stuctural shot, IE breaking bones to limit the range an animal travels after being hit, use a good solidly constucted bullet, you dont want to have a bullet breakup and fail to penetrate because it encountered heavy bone.
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-08-2010 at 09:09. Reason: referenced deleted comment

hap

I see a huge difference between shooting standard cup and core (I lump "bonded" cores with them) and Barnes X, TSX, etc. bullets through meat. The amount of wasted bloodshot meat with C&C bullets is large and what is not ruined is harder to deal with.

With Xs you literally "eat right up to the hole"...

Besides, a good shoulder shot will take out lots of lung and often the heart and/or major blood plumbing.

If all I shot was Accubombs or Partitions I would not shoot shoulders...
    art

Default Shoulder Shot

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post

On your query about shoulder shots luisss, I can't say for certain on a moose as I am yet to shoot one, but I have shot alot of other creatures in the past, and the shoulder shot is a favorite of mine. Game generally doesn't go far, and I have never noticed any huge meat loss issues from shoulder shots. Also the shoulder shot generally puts a hole in the shoulder bone as opposed to actually breaking it in two. Just remember that if you are plannig on using this type of stuctural shot, IE breaking bones to limit the range an animal travels after being hit, use a good solidly constucted bullet, you dont want to have a bullet breakup and fail to penetrate because it encountered heavy bone.
    I am sure that after you really do shoot a moose directly through both shoulders, you will in the future, choose a spot that spoils less meat.
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-08-2010 at 09:09.

I would imagine shooting a moose in the shoulder with a cartridge capable of breaking them down would result in a pretty large amount of wasted meat, why not just shoot behind the shoulders?
    Last edited by Brian M; 04-08-2010 at 09:09.

Some folks learn guns and hunting and others just work on spelling english in which few ever use the real English spelling. shoulder shots are good on game you don't want to go anywhere. Nothing worse than watching you shot moose walk out into the lake

Default My take..

The shoulder shot has been advocated by many for a very long time. Warren Page and Jack O'Connor both felt that it had a great deal of efficacy. Warren Page especially wrote several articles about it.
    It is a great area if you are hunting in rugged country or in a river area that is composed of heavy brush. Generally you will lose some meat on the front quarter(sometimes it might impact both quarters) but on a big bull it is a way to knock a moose down before it can get into a bad places where you can lose possibly more meat or it can get lost.

The margin of error of a shoulder shot is much greater than many of the other vital targets on a larger ungulate.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Default Shoulders

Luiss
    when u shoot a moose in the shoulder how much meat do u loose? and when u brake them dose it only make 2 holes in the shoulder blade or completely brake them in half? and witch wuld u rather take shoulder or heart and lung
    I prefer right behind the shoulder through the lungs. Unless you are going to make hagass you wont be eating the lungs anyway. A shoulder shot will usually only punch through the scapula but there is a lot of variables "Breaking down" a moose is not really an issue if you run one through the engine room he may run, but not far. I am not real big on the break em down thought I have seen bears take 5 rounds , three through the shoulders totally destroying them not one piece of bone bigger that a quarter. Kill with the first shot then break them down. If you take out the lungs they are not long for this world.

Hey guys! Don't worry about sheephunter its past his bed time and he is a little irritable.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

hap

Shoot a moose in the shoulder with some iteration of an X bullet and see what little meat is wasted. Have done it too many dozens of times with true premium bullets and others to accept the notion anyone could miss the difference... IF they had actually seen it.
    Art with degree in Eng Lit...

Default Wasted Meat

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    The shoulder shot has been advocated by many for a very long time. Warren Page and Jack O'Connor both felt that it had a great deal of efficacy. Warren Page especially wrote several articles about it.
    It is a great area if you are hunting in rugged country or in a river area that is composed of heavy brush. Generally you will lose some meat on the front quarter(sometimes it might impact both quarters) but on a big bull it is a way to knock a moose down before it can get into a bad places where you can lose possibly more meat or it can get lost.

The margin of error of a shoulder shot is much greater than many of the other vital targets on a larger ungulate.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    I have it on very good authority that Jack O'connor was prone to shooting sheep from a helicopter. Most of the moose I have shot BEHIND the shoulder never moved , and in my book wasting the front shoulders is not a good excuse for dropping a big bull, just an excuse for not packing out as much meat.

Sheephunter, it won't make a **** bit of difference where I went to school or with whom, when you're quartering your game in a lake and I'm up on dry ground. I only shoot good bullets, mostly the X as Art recommends and I know for a fact that you will loose more meat on an elk with a shot to the neck than you ever would by breaking shoulders. Besides, I would much rather eat heart then burger from the front shoulder. I've only witnessed one animal in my life take a broadside shot to the shoulder and not get lungshot from the same bullet, and that was the fault of the crappy cup and core bullet that blew to pieces on the shoulder blade.

I have it on very good authority that Jack O'connor was prone to shooting sheep from a helicopter. Most of the moose I have shot BEHIND the shoulder never moved , and in my book wasting the front shoulders is not a good excuse for dropping a big bull, just an excuse for not packing out as much meat.

Im not a big jack fan, but im not a big fan of people slandering others without producing evidence. What proof do you offer?

Default Where I shoot

I prefer a head shot but I like to get close too
    no wasted meat and stone cold dead on impact.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Default Proof

Quote Originally Posted by Barkbuster20 View Post
    Im not a big jack fan, but im not a big fan of people slandering others without producing evidence. What proof do you offer?
    A good friend of mine from MT who worked for a well known taxidermist and outfitter from there told me several stories. As it is with a lot of famous folks, there is a bit of rust under the polish.

hap

A good friend of mine from MT who worked for a well known taxidermist and outfitter from there told me several stories. As it is with a lot of famous folks, there is a bit of rust under the polish.
    Sorry, as a long-time student JOC lore, that one is too far out there... Several well-documented cases exist of fabricated deer and hunts, but the (black) helicopters is too far out there for belief.

Had you read much Jack you would know a fair amount about his experience with helicopters. That too is well documented.

To be sure, I do not doubt you were told stories. But they were just that. They were started with fact but nothing like what you were told.

Essentially I am suggesting you do not know Jack... About a lot of things...
    art

My neighbor's, postman's, sister-in-law's, doctor's, nephew's, mechanic's, best friend's, uncle's, mother's, hairdresser's husband told me the same story. It must be so.

Bi-lateral pneumothorax...via the projectile of your choice, is the best way to kill a mammal you intend to eat later.

The kill zone represented by the lungs of an adult moose is roughly the size of a garbage can lid. As a target area it has a high percentage of being and it's 100% fatal. And quickly at that. Yeah you'll probably hit a rib, but then there isn't a ribcage out there that can stop a well contructed bullet in an appropriate caliber, and meat damage amounts to a couple mouthfuls.

Sure you can brain or spine a moose and drop it in it's tracks but the chances of wounding are far higher. Not moose, but many years ago in New Mexico, I saw a raghorn bull elk one October with most of it's nose and lower jaw shot away. It was laying down, nearly but not quite dead. The wounds appeared to be several days old. The animal was delerious and I was able to walk right up to it. From what I could tell the elk was facing the shooter head down (feeding/drinking maybe?) when the bullet hit above the nose just past where the cartiledge meets the bone. One side of the lower jaw was shattered and dangling. I didn't have a weapon with which to dispatch the elk and assumed it eventually died of dehydration. The following spring there was part of a spine and couple of lower leg bones in that same spot.

The OP asked about shoulder shots. Add me to those who don't take them. Shoot 'em in the lungs!

Quote Originally Posted by luisss View Post
    This will always be a hotly debated issue. There are many who promote lung shots only and those who favor putting a shoulder in the shot. Ross Seyfried did an excellent article several years ago in Successful Hunter. He made the case for always trying to put a shoulder in the shot when ever possible. A quartering away shot would have the off shoulder and a quartering to the on side shoulder. I agree with him. The true 90 degree broadside that offers both lungs is presented much less frequently than the quartering shot. As he says, "all the good stuff is between the shoulders".

I don't particularily worry about losing 10 pounds or more of meat to a shoulder shot. I would gladly sacrifice a few pounds of meat to anchor my game quickly. A shot that includes lungs, heart and shoulder is going to anchor that animal quickly. Lung shot animals can and do often travel some great distances. I know moose often don't travel far but they don't have to travel far to get to a very undesirable spot such as a pond, river or lake. And a shoulder shot in no way guarantees an on the spot drop. It is however much harder for an animal to go very far with a lung and/or heart and shoulder gone.

The shots I don't like are the straight on, straight away and head shots. Straight away shots offers a lot of meat damage (compared to a shoulder shot) and a lot of resistance for even the toughest bullets. Straight on shots offer a low percentage shot on the smallest of the important organs, the heart. The lungs are not guaranteed, nor is the heart for that matter in a straight on shot. I hunted coyotes and birds almost daily each season when the deer season closed in my former home state. During those forays I ran onto a half dozen or so deer over several years with the lower jaw or nose shot off and still alive after someone attempted a head shot. Awful way to go. No head shots for me.

I do try to limit meat damage in my shoulder shots by shooting heavy bullets at moderate velocities. A 220 grain 30 caliber bullet is wonderfully effective in everything from a 30-06 on up. I like a heavy bullet regardless of the caliber going 2500-2800 fps. The meat damage is normally minimal.

Regardless of which side this debate you camp in, the fact is we are all going to take the shot that is presented to us, within ethics and reason. I am going to take a broadside lung shot without a shoulder if that is the shot presented. I am sure that the lung shot camp guys are not going to pass on a quartering to shot that takes out the front shoulder, crosses through the lung and out through the liver if that is the only shot they have. A humane shot is a humane shot no matter which side of this debate you are on.

mart

Not only do you lose a good amount of meat with a shoulder shot you have a lot more work in the field assuring you get all the blood shot meat cut out - it will be the first to spoil and smell bad. I hunt for meat and will not shoot a moose in the shoulder.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast