Thread: Thinking about fishing Sand lake

Default Thinking about fishing Sand lake

I have never fished Sand Lake in Anchorage and am thinking about fishing it in the next couple of days. Any suggestions or ideas? Any certain area that would be good to start at? Thanks

I would start a different lake, ADF&G killed the lake off this year to get rid of the pike you can try but you wont be catching.

you wont catch diddly squat there......try beer can in kincaid or delong....right down the road.

Release Lake Trout

Fish deep in camble point for a cance at char. Try a jig tiped with raw shrimp.
    Good luck!

you know, i was thinkin they should make beer can lake/ campbell point lake a trophy blackfish water 12"+ are common.... seriously though right off the end of the dock can be good too for those big char, thats where ive always gotten into em......

Release Lake Trout

Im betting Sand Lake will once again have Pike in it within the next two years.

Hey thanks for the advice. I have spent some time on Beer can. I was hoping to find some pike in the city.

Quote Originally Posted by Dallman3 View Post
    Hey thanks for the advice. I have spent some time on Beer can. I was hoping to find some pike in the city.

Hopefully.....never again.... Id rather Sand lake get restocked with big char, rainbows, and lakers.....it was a great trout fishery a few years ago

Release Lake Trout

Yeah I get that for sure. I just figured if they were there I could maybe take a few out. I am originally from northern MN. I love catching big pike through the ice back home!

its fun and sand had some biguns............but i think salmon and trout are better to have.

Release Lake Trout

If people could be trusted to keep the pike in the lakes, then there would be a possibility of some decent pike lakes in town. There must be some sort of natural forage species that could be started in the lakes with them. (suckers?) Unfortunately, there are too many yahoo's who would rather dump a few in a salmon stream and freak out the locals.

I live with the invasive trout stocking because I can't imagine someone coming to WI or MN trying to wipe out walleye's for trout. It is a cultural difference you will have to get used to.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

NO!!! Don't plant the vermin anywhere! They need to be eradicated, there are very few lakes that can contain pike they proliferate and get in the streams on their own.

Disclaimer: I would never introduce a new species to a lake.

If they get there on their own, then they wouldn't be an invasive species. That sounds more like natural selection. Yes it is very likely (99%) man brought them to SC, but I do wonder if all man is doing is speeding up what nature would do itself eventually.

Like I said, I have learned to live with being the minority when it comes to the value of pike. I will never understand the value in stocked trout and the anti-pike people will never understand why I think the pike is a superior game fish compared to trout and salmon. It's tough because AK isn't exactly at the cutting edge of open-mindedness but I make due.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Disclaimer: I would never introduce a new species to a lake.

If they get there on their own, then they wouldn't be an invasive species. That sounds more like natural selection. Yes it is very likely (99%) man brought them to SC, but I do wonder if all man is doing is speeding up what nature would do itself eventually.

Like I said, I have learned to live with being the minority when it comes to the value of pike. I will never understand the value in stocked trout and the anti-pike people will never understand why I think the pike is a superior game fish compared to trout and salmon. It's tough because AK isn't exactly at the cutting edge of open-mindedness but I make due.

Ditto, I like them both. But people are crazy the way they hate on Pike in some circles....
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Thumbs up

Where northern pike naturally occur in Alaska, they are highly valued as a subsistence and sport fish. In these waters, there are many other fish, such as whitefish, sheefish, suckers, Alaska blackfish, stickleback, and char. In their native range, pike are simply another member of the fish community, living in a balanced ecosystem with other fish species.~ADF&G
    I grew up fishing and eating pike. They put up a great fight. I understand they destroy fish populations if kept unchecked. But to count them out is unfair. I work as a fisherman. Its my job. I appreciate a good fighting fish and a pike puts up a heck of a fight!