Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quartz and Chena Opening Up?

Default Quartz and Chena Opening Up?

Havn't been in Fbnks long enough to know the break-up tendencies. Anyone know the progress of Quartz lake. I was out there two years ago during break-up and could reach out and touch the fish but couldn't get them to bite anything so want to go back for revenge this year.

Also last year I found the joys of the Chena and Grayling on the line so I was wondering when the Chena may be opening up and when my favorite little grayling holes will get active again?

Quote Originally Posted by jaeger33 View Post
    Havn't been in Fbnks long enough to know the break-up tendencies. Anyone know the progress of Quartz lake. I was out there two years ago during break-up and could reach out and touch the fish but couldn't get them to bite anything so want to go back for revenge this year.

Also last year I found the joys of the Chena and Grayling on the line so I was wondering when the Chena may be opening up and when my favorite little grayling holes will get active again?

Roadside lakes are ice up til end of April. (Quartz begins melting 1st week of May).

Chena and Chena slough, Grayling end of May.

I am still seeing 3ft of ice on the lakes as of this last week.

I expect grayling in the slough end of May (after the Chena rises). I watch the ice breaking up on the slough (near my house) more and more everyday, I do not think any fish in there until the Chena pushes up and adds to the fill.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    Roadside lakes are ice up til end of April. (Quartz begins melting 1st week of May).

Chena and Chena slough, Grayling end of May.

I am still seeing 3ft of ice on the lakes as of this last week.

I expect grayling in the slough end of May (after the Chena rises). I watch the ice breaking up on the slough (near my house) more and more everyday, I do not think any fish in there until the Chena pushes up and adds to the fill.
    Last time we had low snow to this extent, I was catching grayling in Badger Slough (Chena Slough?) on April 10th. That sounds crazy to me too, but I have it logged in my little log book from back when I was more experimental!

I know every year is slightly different...I live right along the Chena Slough (aka Badger Slough) Repp Rd.

I caught some 1st week of May this last year, where are you fishing on the slough?

I know every year is slightly different...I live right along the Chena Slough (aka Badger Slough) Repp Rd.

I caught some 1st week of May this last year, where are you fishing on the slough?
    After looking at the photos from last year, the date stamp on the picture says April 22, right at Badger Gas. I remember catching quite a few before we went to Yakutat last year. Better start dusting off the fly rods...

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Quote Originally Posted by bigcox View Post
    After looking at the photos from last year, the date stamp on the picture says April 22, right at Badger Gas. I remember catching quite a few before we went to Yakutat last year. Better start dusting off the fly rods...

Fish On!
    Wow i did not realize it was that early....those must be when the ice was still about 3 feet along the edges....

dusting off the fly rod today.....still have at least 3 more ice fishing events. Harding lake trout?????

Having started fishing the Chena mid-summer last year I was going a ways up the Chena (mi. 30). I do remember someone saying that the fish move up farther as the summer gets later. Is this true and if so where might be a better place to start (aside from previously mentioned slough) before moving up to some of my newly discovered favorite holes?

I'll pm you

chena still has around 4 ft

Threw a few casts out by badger gas today. Didn't get anything. I was drifting a prince nypmh under and indicator.

There are huge sections completely broken out and thawed on Ft. Wainwright if you get a visitor pass on section is right by the bridge to go to river rd. and the other is by the MWR outdoor rec center. IF you cant get a pass you can fish the section by outdoor rec from the other side of the river from a park off of Slater Dr.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    There are huge sections completely broken out and thawed on Ft. Wainwright if you get a visitor pass on section is right by the bridge to go to river rd. and the other is by the MWR outdoor rec center. IF you cant get a pass you can fish the section by outdoor rec from the other side of the river from a park off of Slater Dr.

Getting on to post isn't a problem for me. From my experience it is too early to fish the Chena. The earliest grayling I have caught have been in the slough. I tried to fish on post around this time a couple years ago and the water was high, fast, and off-color. When the water is good you can really rack them up though. If someone knows something I don't know though, I would really like to know because I am itching to catch something.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    Getting on to post isn't a problem for me. From my experience it is too early to fish the Chena. The earliest grayling I have caught have been in the slough. I tried to fish on post around this time a couple years ago and the water was high, fast, and off-color. When the water is good you can really rack them up though. If someone knows something I don't know though, I would really like to know because I am itching to catch something.
    Try the boat launch area on post across from Bassett as the ice thaws out. Caught a couple of nice Grayling out of there while on lunch last year...TSS also said he's caught some nice whitefish from there also.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

The area was still locked up yesterday.

The slough by the house is getting open more along with the typical gas station area.

I still think more water is needed to get the fish moving in the slough, its like a salmon run when they first come in the slough, I am ready!! Maybe the snow will help we just had? When the river is flowing and dirty its time to fish the slough.

Heck, while we are waiting who wants to go ice fishing for lakers this week??? I think I am getting sick....

Default how's Chena slough lookiing?

Will be headed up there toward the end of next week and I was wondering how the slough is looking for Grayling? I was also wondering if anyone cold tell me if it is necessary to have waders and boots to fish? I will probably just go over near Badger Gas after work for a few hours and really dont want to have to lug my waders and boots on the plane just for a few hours of fishing. Is there any place I can catch Grayling around there without having to wade? Also, wondering if the water is even in shape to fish yet and if the fish are in? Thanks for any help!

Matt

I swung by Badger Gas today to check out the action. Looks like the grayling are there. One guy I talked to said he hooked 10-12 on some sort of green caddis type pattern (I didn't see it). The guy behind the counter at Big Rays said he was having real good luck with small white jigs.

Default Chena Hot Springs Road

I am attending a church event this weekend at a place around mile 15 of Chena Hot Springs Road. I fished up in the 28-30 mile region mid to late last summer and had a blast. However I have never been up there in May but was thinking of popping up after my event since I will be near there anyways. Anyone know if things are open up there. one way or another I am going to be fishing this weekend so it is either there, behind badger gas, or may even drive to Quartz if it is open and the fishing sounds good. Any thoughts?

I fished badger gas yesterday. Kinda slow but I hooked several grayling drifting a prince nymph under an indicator. I saw another guy who hooked a couple stripping some sort of bright green pattern.

Default badger gas

was behind badger gas mid afternoon yesterday hooked2 had 3 roll on my hook... all on a white (NON-GLOWING!) 1/32 JIG...

Hahahah ya my old fishin buddy dave... Just found out he works there today.... Just posted on the same lure

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast