Thread: Maybe this should be on the "Make it yourself" thread...

Lightbulb Maybe this should be on the "Make it yourself" thread...

... but I wonder if anyone has a strategy for retrofitting felt bottomed wading shoes to another type of sole. Can the felt be cut off and another material glued to the bottom such as thick neopreme? Ideas?

or just sew up a bigger neoprene bootie to fit over the "old school" one. Might work.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    or just sew up a bigger neoprene bootie to fit over the "old school" one. Might work.
    I'm not seeing it. How could you put a neopreme bootie over a wading shoe?

I'd bet rock climbing shoe resolers could make someone some great wading boots, rock climbing rubber is sticky stuff, even under water.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I'd bet rock climbing shoe resolers could make someone some great wading boots, rock climbing rubber is sticky stuff, even under water.
    I read an article comparing rubber soled boots and there was mention of using the same rubber that climbing shoes are made of. Same rubber, but climbing shoe soles are smooth, so you'd have to get one that matches your footprint and has tread (diamond tread appears to be pretty popular on the internet). After a little reading, gorilla glue looks like one of the better adhesives.

Here's what the kiwi's say: http://www.nzfishing.com/News/FeltSoleBoots.htm
    Should have become a cobbler.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'm not seeing it. How could you put a neopreme bootie over a wading shoe?
    Just make an over-sized bootie. When I was a kid we would pull old wool socks over the feet of our hip boots for traction. It worked pretty well. I didn't even know about felt soles until I went to college down in MT in the late 80's early 90's. I like the idea of the climbing shoe rubber, too.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

There was a shoe store on the old Seward Hwy just North of Diamond and on the east side of the road. I had them resole some work boots years ago and they did an awesome job.

Loosing the felt and puting a sock over sounds like a one day fix. You don't need to loose the felt till 2012 unless you are heading to South East Alaska then 2011 is the date to change.

George

I don't think so. I messed up my knee climbing due to my foot slipping on a wet spot while setting up my rapell. Not to mention get a pair of shoes resoled with climbing rubber costs ~$70, so you might as well get a new set of wading shoes with non felt soles.

seems like the cost might not hardly justify resoling versus getting new boots but if you are attached to the uppers you could have a cobbler add a new sole for sure.

there is one on fireweed ave in ANC i remember and i bet there's an old fart or two on the kenai who does sole replacement also.

probably hard to find a good sole for wet rocks though without buying new boots.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... but I wonder if anyone has a strategy for retrofitting felt bottomed wading shoes to another type of sole. Can the felt be cut off and another material glued to the bottom such as thick neopreme? Ideas?
    You can grind the felt off and then glue on a set of Korker studded sticky rubber inserts yourself, or have them cobbled. However, the top quality soles for wet wading are not commercially available that I have found. If you have Simms boots you can send them in for a refitting of their sticky vibram soles.

After looking at this for the past months I would just go with a new set of Korker boots with the changable inserts. Speaking of which I need to get on that since its spring and all.

actually, no it isn't, but it has been tried - aquastealth is one such type of rock-climbing sole with another name. And the company that marketed it did so under the guise that rubber was "quieter" and didn't scare off fish by making as much sound as felt or studded materials - hence the name.

BTW, I did talk with a simms representative,last week - about the availability of streamtread soles only and the answer is no. They stated that you can send them to one of 4 authorized re-sole repair dealers in Montana
    Last edited by stevesch; 04-07-2010 at 16:21. Reason: addition BTW