Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2010 Hooligan thread!! Smeltalicous.

Default 2010 Hooligan thread!! Smeltalicous.

Who’s ready for Spring? I sure am, and to me spring means Hooligan. So here is the 2010 Hooligan thread. I dipnet 20 mile so any news about birds or whales or actual smelt sightings would be great. Anyone else who dipnets different areas who could say what is happening there would be appreciated to!!
    I included the rest below to help out folks who are new to dipnetting those delicious smelt. I started this thread even though there was a seven page thread at the top of this forum. I wanted new thread on this year. (Sorry Mods if you think it should be on that thread) Good luck with your season, take what you need, and be a good neighbor!

Hooligan (smelt, eulachon) Personal Use Fisheries
    Open season
    • In salt waters, hooligan may be taken from April 1 through May 31.
    • In fresh waters, hooligan may be taken from April 1 through June 15.
    Limits
    • There are no bag or possession limits; you may take as many hooligan as you will use.
    Gear
    • Hooligan may be taken by dipnet or by drift gillnet. If taken by dipnet, there are no additional gear requirements other than those listed under "Definition of Dipnet" on "Important Information," above. Dipnets may be used in any waters, fresh or salt.
    • If taken by drift gillnet, the drift gillnet may be used only in the Kenai River, and only from April 1 through May 31 as follows:
      • A drift gillnet may be used only in the Kenai River downstream of an ADF&G regulatory marker at Cunningham Park;
      • A drift gillnet may not be more than 20 feet in length, four feet in depth, and one and one-half inches in mesh size; and
      • A drift gillnet must be attended by the person operating the gillnet at all times that the net is fishing.
    Permit
    • No permit is required, just a resident Alaska sport fishing license (or ADF&G senior license or ADF&G Disabled Veteran's license).
    General run timing and peak harvest times
    • Federal research shows hooligan runs are highly erratic in terms of when they begin to return. Hooligan do not have a set date for entering the rivers. Typically, hooligan are in the Southcentral Alaska rivers by the second week of May.
    Helpful links

We are ready and waiting... going to be on the Kenai and surrounding area this season. I'll do my best at reporting, my job is taking way to much time out of my outdoor schedule! I'll be changing this ASAP!
    Anyone else dipnet the Kenai for Hooligan in previous years? Any tips, tricks or flat out don't do's?

Mountaintrekker

Default Last Package

I'm ready. I just pan fried my last frozen package of ooligan this weekend. Time to stock up again with some delicious super-charged organic protein super food.

Any news? Did anyone do the anchorage/peninsula drive this weekend? See any signs of birds/whales? Was 20 mile ice free? Any word on the Kenai? I stopped by Knik Bridge yesterday to see if I could find that new smelt run.......nothing there.

Is there by chance a thread with hooligan recipes? I'd love to hear how other people cook them up.

Default Keep it simple....

......roll 'em in flour, pan fry them, sprinkle a little salt!

They always seem to fall apart on me..

I wanted to try hooligan, then I smelt them!
    ><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·..¸¸ ><((((º>`·.¸¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

I'll be nosing around the Kenai this weekend and I'll report any delicous er I mean suspicious hooligan activity.

Mountaintrekker

Iam here in soldotna
    Ill be going out this weekend to snoop around. Ill report later.

Would like to give hooligan dipping a shot this year. How early have you guys caught them in Turnagain Arm? I know the crowds are usually there in force by mid-May. Did someone mention there being a run in Knik River also?

Got a few bags left in the freezer from last year. Should be all gone by the time the run hits next month.

I dip them in a mix of flour and cornmeal, fry them up and then put them on a rack above a baking pan in the oven at 250 degrees for 10-20 minutes. This renders out a lot of the oil and the flesh firms up real nice. No more mushy hoolies!

Here is a link to various smelt recipes:

http://www.all-fish-seafood-recipes....cfm/list/Smelt
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I saw a beluga under the bridge on Tuesday.

No word on the hoolies, but there were at least a dozen belugas up Turnagain arm yesterday.

Went to bridge access to poke around today. I took my daughter out there for 3 hours Nothing. We switched to the camera to take pics of all the Sand hill Cranes and ducks that were swarming the area. We went to the boat harbor to eat lunch some gourmet PB and J and some quality time with the little one. All the Seagulls were massed and just chillin on the other side of the river. I think they were waiting for the Hooligans to. LOL!! No Hooligans yet!

Quote Originally Posted by bilder View Post
    Got a few bags left in the freezer from last year. Should be all gone by the time the run hits next month.

I dip them in a mix of flour and cornmeal, fry them up and then put them on a rack above a baking pan in the oven at 250 degrees for 10-20 minutes. This renders out a lot of the oil and the flesh firms up real nice. No more mushy hoolies!

Here is a link to various smelt recipes:

http://www.all-fish-seafood-recipes....cfm/list/Smelt

Nice. Thanks a lot.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

trying builder's cooking tip as I type!

went down to 20-mile and rowed the net thru the water for about an hour..... 11 hoolies.... REALLY, REALLY S L O W

but the boys had a great time and we got the heck out of Anchortown for a few hours.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default heres a dumb one

do you guys gut the hooligan....all the smelting i did in michigan we never gutted em....but hooligan are bigger and more guts...right???? looking to get some for the first time this year
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

i do..... and nip the heads off..
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Default ok

good to know....used to cook up the smelt whole...the heads the fins were the best part
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast