Thread: Recommendations for -20 range sleeping bag

Default Recommendations for -20 range sleeping bag

I usually use the intermediate bag from my army modular sleep system (rated to -10) for mountaineering trips in the deltas, however I had to turn in all my army issued equipment today including my sleeping bag. I am looking for a -20 bag in the 3 to 4 LBS range. I would want a long version because I usually put a lot of stuff in the bag with me like boot liners, hot water bottle, clothing etc.. I don't want to spend over $400 for it. I've looked at the REI expediton -20 bag but can't find any reviews on it. Anyone have any reccomendations for a bag?

wiggly`s bags check them out

Default I think...

... you mean "Wiggy's". Wiggly is what you do in them.

Default -15 Degree Foraker at SW

They have been dropping price on this one. Sure it is a Kelty but in this case it is a sleeping bag that was specifically built for mountaineering. It is 750 fill down but it should fulfill your needs. They normally sell for more than 400 dollars but they have some remainders there for 240 dollars. You are military so you get an additional price break. They have Wiggys bags there as well and you can compare them. Best way of course is to ask to take them down and get into them with your stuff.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Funny you mention the kelty bag because that was the other one I was looking at. Looks like a nice bag but I can't find reviews on it. Is SW sportsmans warehouse? If it is then I can go right into town to look at it which might be a deal maker. I was leaning towards the REI bag becasue it is close to a pound lighter, but the price and availablity might make the kelty bag the winner. The wiggy's bags look like a good deal but the -20 one was around 5 lbs. Every ounce counts when you are hauling it on your back.

north face is the best combo of affordability and good design/durability.

get one on e-bay for $200 or less.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post
    Funny you mention the kelty bag because that was the other one I was looking at. Looks like a nice bag but I can't find reviews on it. Is SW sportsmans warehouse? If it is then I can go right into town to look at it which might be a deal maker. I was leaning towards the REI bag becasue it is close to a pound lighter, but the price and availablity might make the kelty bag the winner. The wiggy's bags look like a good deal but the -20 one was around 5 lbs. Every ounce counts when you are hauling it on your back.
    I am one of the worst ounce counters you will ever meet and for those that have seen my array of gear I have a tendency to ignore cost and get the best. Heck I have a full custom built Mchale INEX pack with every lightweight option he offers. Inside that pack is a wiggys sleeping bag. I don't consider a sleeping bag comfort gear, it is lifesaving equipment and I will be buying my 4th bag from Marc in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by woodman6437 View Post

Do you want this bag for mountaineering, or hunting in possibly wet conditions? If this bag is going to be a winter bag and only be used where the temp will stay below freezing get a down bag, which will weigh a lot less. If this is for fall backpacking or hunting where rain could be a possibilty I would get a synethic bag. A synethic bag will insulate when wet down will not. I have a down bag for winter and a wiggys bag for fall hunting/rafting/summer backpacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Do you want this bag for mountaineering, or hunting in possibly wet conditions? If this bag is going to be a winter bag and only be used where the temp will stay below freezing get a down bag, which will weigh a lot less. If this is for fall backpacking or hunting where rain could be a possibilty I would get a synethic bag. A synethic bag will insulate when wet down will not. I have a down bag for winter and a wiggys bag for fall hunting/rafting/summer backpacking.
    Its for mountaineering. I was alredy pretty much set on down. If I could I would get the Mountain Hardware Wraith -20 bag, but it is 600+ dollars. I would like to use it in the summer as well, but I might have to just suck it up and get a lighter synthetic bag as well.

Looked at the Kelty bag at SW today, seems like a good deal.

I am going to have to agree with Most. Check out Wiggy's. I have the Super Light and WOW is it nice!! Pushes all the moisture out of the bag. I was in a bivy sack and I had ice lining the bivy

Default Kelty Bag

Picked up the Kelty Foraker bag from SW today (last one). 240 with military discount. Good loft and it packs down real nice. Big draft tubes as well. I think I might still pick up a lighter synthetic bag as well though just to spare the down.

Thanks for all the reccomendations.

Default Mountain Sports

Go to MountainSports in the little mall across from the Bentley Mall.
    Look at the Synthetic Integral Designs sleeping bags. He sells them at retail but he might give you a military discount. The North Twin is 10F degree bag with primaloft and pertex shell. They make them broad and big enough for big people.

I would look at them before you go with the Wiggys.
    Its not that I am against Wiggys but those synthetic bags are good and very light. The guy who runs the place is really nice.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Check out Western Mountaineering. I have been using their down bags with the microfiber shell which makes it darn near waterproof. I've been happy with mine and they are light for what you want to do.

Mountaintrekker