Thread: How is the snow on Denali Hwy?

Default How is the snow on Denali Hwy?

We are planning on a ride from Cantwell to Alpine creek & Maclaren lodges this week end. Do you think there will enough snow?

Thanks

Default Denali Highway Snow

We had a guy come out yesterday and a group going in tomorrow early morning. I came out Sunday morning. The snow was great most of the way for riding. There are some gravel area's to cross over of about a 100 feet or so. The riding off highway is really good, in the lower trails below the lodge. No open spots or bare spots on Hatchett Lake Trail or Bob Fish Lake Trail. THe slopes and tops of the mountains are bare and great for hiking. You will hear the nasty sounds of skags on gravel, but it won't be too bad.

Between us and Al and Su at Maclaren, I haven't had a recent report past a few miles to the East of us. It is really bare there, but there is a trail to get around most of it. I don't know how it is past mile 60 or so. I suspect it probably isn't too bad, but won't swear to it!
    Good Luck, and we look forward to seeing you. I'll be heading back out Friday night. Note that they may start plowing at any time. We are watching it closely.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

i went east of alipine creek yesterday and it was alot of open road, brush diving to get off it, i've got one skag thats wore thru and one thats getting close....snow after that is great and the road has been groomed starting a few mile west of clearwater...much better snow to the east than the cantwell side. good riding, just be ready for the dirt...temps have been great for riding and the long daylight makes for a great ride. have fun.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

and are the brownies waking up...?

apparently not yet...
    Master guide 212

Paxson to tangles bridge plowed.

they've plowed in on the denali side about 20 something miles...bears aren't up yet, did 700 miles on snowmachine last week and change...it hasn't been warm up there...but the exposed dirt on the road has melted alot of the road wide open to gravel..
    machines in the shop now..needs skags...
    Master guide 212

Default Denali Highway snow

They are plowing away, and I suspect and am hoping to be able to drive at least to Valdez Mine Road on Friday night, for a short 10 mile ride to my place. They were at mile marker 113 when we met them Sunday morning plowing.

Of course, they are predicting several inches of snow tonight..... so who knows...

This is the first I heard that they had plowed all the way to Tangles already! Early spring!

The off highway trails in the swamps are still good, but the mountain tops are clear for the most part.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Default Brwnbr

Did ever resolve your issues with machine? 700 miles must be doing ok? What was it?

Default As of Monday night.

Cantwell side plowed to M.P. 99 (25 mile shy of the Sue river) Thank you Ray Atkins for the ride to our truck 14 miles back.