Thread: Last years kerosene???

Default Last years kerosene???

I'm getting ready to go this year, and I was wondering if you guy's throw out last years kerosene, and start fresh??? I also see a new replacement for kerosene that promises to be a cleaner alternative to #1 kerosene and has no odor. I think it is called Klean Heat, specifically designed for kerosene heaters. Any of you guys tried this?

I always just top off with fresh kerosene in the spring and have never had a problem with the espar or wallas stove or oven. I have seen kleen heet before. I too am curious if it would be a better alternative. On the flip side, a lot of people run straight diesel. Much cheeper!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I have run nothing but Kleen heat through my Wallas stove. I like it and have not had any issues, but can't really compare it to Kerosene for you. It does have an odor though...but I doubt anything is really odor free.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Quote Originally Posted by Sockeye Salm View Post
    I'm getting ready to go this year, and I was wondering if you guy's throw out last years kerosene, and start fresh??? I also see a new replacement for kerosene that promises to be a cleaner alternative to #1 kerosene and has no odor. I think it is called Klean Heat, specifically designed for kerosene heaters. Any of you guys tried this?
    Klean Heat is not new and it smells too as it is just another light fuel oil with a fancy brand name. I have stopped using kerosene and Klean Heat in my little Wallas as Scan Marine recommends diesel fuel for my model since diesel has no sulfur in it anymore. As Pete noted it is much cheaper, but they don't use enough of any fuel to worry about the cost anyway. As far as using last year's, I wouldn't as kerosene has a shelf life although I will concede you'd probably get away with it just fine.

ALWAYS use fresh Kerosene. We bought our boat used and ran our Wallas stove with kerosen that had been sitting in the tank all winter. The stove stopped working mid-summer and we had to ship it to Scan-Marine to be cleaned and serviced. We have always used fresh Kerosene since then (3 years) and never had any problems.

Click here http://www.scanmarineusa.com/techtalk_fuelcomments.pdf for some great information on different fuels.

Bad fuel when in doubt get it out.

Throw out kerosene?
    MY GAWD MAN!
    Dude do you know what time it is? It doesn't matter how much you got locked up in IRA's or how fat the 401 is. We are ALL only as good as our next tank of fuel. Remember that :wink: