Thread: Trolling motor question

Default Trolling motor question

If I add an electric trolling motor to my canoe will i have to register power boat? I have heard both yes and no and the dmv website says nothing about electric motors.

That's a good question. I don't think so, but I'll wait for someone that knows for sure.
    Sorry I'm not much help but I have wondered the same thing.

I don't believe the source of power has anything to do with it. If it's powered, you have to register it. Least, that's what I've heard. But will they enforce it against an electric motor? ---- I don't know.

you can use electric on lakes where motors aren't allowed right?

Yes you can use electrics on MOST lakes where gas motors arent allowed you will have to check with that specific lake you intend to fish.

Default motor

if it has a motor on it it should be reg. but will they give you a ticket it all depend on who catches you,
    that is what I found out,
    it is just like anything else it depends on who catches you doing what is wrong

my 2 cts SID

I think if its over 14' under power it has to be registered but not 100% sure.

Default from the DMV boat web site

What Must Be Registered:

All powered boats (including non-powered boats with auxiliary power units) used on any water of the state. (This includes all rivers, streams, and lakes, regardless of size, and all salt water within 3 miles of land.)

Default Motors and registration

any boat no matter the length that uses either Electric or gas motors to push it will need to be registered.
    The State parks ranger here on the kenai made a beliver of me when I sent out a 12 foot raft with a small kicker on it to cross Skilak lake.
    We have some of our rafts registered as we have some motor mounts on some frames incase a customer wants to motor across skilak lake.
    the 12 foot raft was not registered and we just forgot it wasn't..
    The ranger stopped my customers as they motor across the lake and gave them a $100 fine ,, which of course made me look like a fool.. I paid the ticket and apologized to both the customer and the ranger..
    I won't let that happen again..!!
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com