Thread: Remington 700 bolt and safety question

Default Remington 700 bolt and safety question

I have a Remington 700 XCR that, like most newer Remingtons, does not lock the bolt shut when the safety is on.

Is there any simple way that I can change the bolt to being locked shut when the safety is engaged? Is there any reasonably priced way a competent gunsmith with far more abilities than I have resolve this problem?

While nothing has happened like the bolt working loose, the idea of something going wrong bugs me.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

2 options I know of.

First, you can install a 3 position shroud safety like a Winchester has. I think gentry and others make them. Fitting required.

Second, you can machine the slot in the bolt and use an old 700 trigger and safety. Machining, fitting, and parts scrounging required.

Neither is "drop in."

Default nor cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by aklefty View Post
    2 options I know of.

First, you can install a 3 position shroud safety like a Winchester has. I think gentry and others make them. Fitting required.

Second, you can machine the slot in the bolt and use an old 700 trigger and safety. Machining, fitting, and parts scrounging required.

Neither is "drop in."
    nor is either option inexpensive (unless you get lucky on the old parts and can do the machiining yourself).

I've got a very early 700 with the locking bolt safety. I can provide pictures of the trigger mechanism, receiver, and bolt if anyone needs them.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

+ 1 on the expense.

For years after Remington dropped the bolt locking feature they continued to mill the slot in the bolt and would retrofit a locking mechanism if you sent the rifle back to them. Then at some point they dropped the extra machining step and the retrofit service.

Also, Remington redesigned the trigger about 5 years ago. I am not 100% that the old trigger is compatible with the new receivers (pin location and such). An easy check would be to see if Timney has one part # or if they have a new part # for the newer guns.

I am a fan of safetys that lock the bolt for no reason other than my own thoughts on how things should be.

I could do pics as well, but they will be a mirror image of what 90% of the population needs.

Thanks but I have a Remington 700 in 300 Win Mag that is a 1970's model. The bolt locks on it when the safety is engaged so I have an example here. Since I am a very poor excuse for a gunsmith, I was hoping it would be a simple procedure. Once again, I am foiled.

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I've got a very early 700 with the locking bolt safety. I can provide pictures of the trigger mechanism, receiver, and bolt if anyone needs them.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

To convert your post 2006 700 XCR w/ X Mark trigger group to pre 2006 trigger group w/ bolt lock safety you will need to inlet/remove stock material fwd of rear action screw hole & remove stock material on fwd end & LH side of bolt stop & machine the bolt lock slot in the bolt body.
    Rem stopped grinding the bolt lock slots in the bolt bodies of D prefix(90's vintage) serial numbered receivers to the present G prefix's.
    The only stipulation to grinding the bolt lock slot in bodies is,I insist that the handle to be TIMED & TIG welded after the machine work.

Bolt lock safety levers were offered in two configurations-
    Flat knob & Round knob-I have 25-35 NIB on hand.