Thread: Hiking To Nome

Default Hiking To Nome

I have a job lined up for me in Nome around August. It seems the only way there is flying? Does anyone else have any knowledge or other ways out there? I have been considering a possible flight to a near by city and hiking out to nome for a little adventure before I get there. Is anyone familiar with the terrain at all? Is this completely nuts/impossible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, my first time posting here!

chris

august? not a big deal, except youll be eaten alive by the bugs and you mite have a fun time crossing the wet tundra, not to mention the adundant grizzly bears, the faint trails and such....i say go for it!

I dont advise it one notion. You mite as well fly to Nome as its probly cheaper to get there than any other village.

Release Lake Trout

As mentioned above, I would recommend just flying to Nome. It is almost guaranteed to be cheaper than any other nearby location. If you really want the adventure of hiking in the area, fly to Nome first and hike out-and-back from there, make it a looping path if you don't want to double back on the same trail. That way, you reduce the chace of being caught somewhere with little or not way to get "home" due to whatever obstacles you might find.

Anyway, welcome to the Forum! Youll find lots of useful info here to help you. But really, dont try walkin to Nome.

Release Lake Trout

Default Off to Nome

OK so during the gold rush one desperate fellow rode a bicylce down the frozen Yukon after the last river boat left and the river froze up at Dawson.

OK so now the easy part.

There is a trail from Nome heading to White Mountain along Norton sound, two rivers to cross at least (one rescue cabin along trail).

From there to Elim there is also a trail with one small stream that can be waded in bare feet (quickly too because the water is just above freezing, been there, done that).

Going towards. Moses Point (Fish Camp) there is a road. There you have to cross a river. NOT wade-able but you might get a native to take you across. They will do it too once you explain what you are doing. (Laughing at you in their native tongue.) (one rescue cabin along trail). One more non wade-able river at Koyuk.

There you follow the trail south towards Shaktoolik. 2-3 non-wade-able rivers between the two. (one rescue cabin along trail). Trail to Unalakleet 2 rivers at least and I have not tried to cross them.

From Unk. there is the Unalakleet River to cross, a native can help you there too. Follow Old Woman's trail towards Kaltag. (2 cabins). Here you hit the Yukon and no trail. There is an old telegraph line that is over grown going towards Nulato. (never hiked it).

From Nulato to Last Chance and Koyukuk there is the telegraph trail and it is easy to find. Another boat-able river, the Koyukuk. From there I know of no trails going into Galena and I am out of information.

My advice - Winter, March/April on snowshoes is easier. Or take a plane. Good luck with BSSD.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

or wait till next march and hitch a ride with an iditarod racer or iron dog racer

Release Lake Trout

Default Researh

From re-reading your post, it appears you need to do some research on Alaska. A typo-map would be a place to start. From there, read some hiking books about Alaska and do some searching on the forums. The closest "city" to Nome is Fairbanks. It is not an impossible hike, many miners have done it. But you will have to build rafts to ford rivers, need some bear protection and carry a pretty good sized pack. If you have never been to Alaska, or seen it, just fly in. Much safer and you will live longer. Then think about doing it your second or third year here.

I'd say completely nuts but not impossible. Just hiking a mile around here can potentially destroy your will to live.

Here is an earlier thread about hiking east to west across AK to give you an idea about what you would be up against.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...?t=1342&page=5

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    A typo-map would be a place to start.
    Dave,

Miny poseters hear obveeusly cerrie thease tipes ov mapps.

Default True

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Dave,

Miny poseters hear obveeusly cerrie thease tipes ov mapps.
    Tru butt thay kant reed thm!

Based on the nature of your question, which indicates a lack of knowledge of the geography, topography and terrain, I would say that it is more likely than not that you would never make it to Nome if you attempted to hike there from a "nearby" village. You would either end up pressing the abort button on your Spot, calling your mom on your sat phone and begging for a pick-up, or simply disappear.

There is nothing simple about trekking through that territory, even for folks who know what they are up against. Those who don't know what they are up against would probably just get spanked.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

No Mccandless comments/comparisons?
    huh

Default !!!!!

Leave now before it all thaws, and just follow the trail of dog poop.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by carlsdrivein View Post
    I have a job lined up for me in Nome around August. It seems the only way there is flying? Does anyone else have any knowledge or other ways out there? I have been considering a possible flight to a near by city and hiking out to nome for a little adventure before I get there. Is anyone familiar with the terrain at all? Is this completely nuts/impossible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, my first time posting here!

chris
    most the nearby cities ( LOL ) require you to land in Nome first to get to them... or a cumulation of multiple bush charters in a hopscotch pattern from where you begin to get near by... but that will cost considerably more.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree with saltwatertom, leave now while there is still a solid trail. Also no bugs or other toothy critters to bother you yet. It was a nice sunny -5 out here this morning.

If I were you, I would fly into Nome and spend your time hiking around there. You could hike to Teller, at least there is a road to get back on. A cab can come up and get you.

You had better do a little more research first or we will be reading about a missing person in the Nome Nugget.