Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Foulin' plugs...

Default Foulin' plugs...

i've been going thru plugs in my left cylinder like crazy, been out for four days and went thru five plugs, a couple i've been able to hammer it and run like crazy till it opens up, but other than that they won't do it.
    seem to foul when i'm driving slow and on and off the throttle, like a real bumpy trail...as long as i keep my thumb in it they don't do it...any ideas?
    drop a new plug in and i did a trench outa there...
    to much oil? why just one side? any adjustment ideas?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

I had a 2002 Summit 700 and experienced the same thing. If I was getting on it it would run fine, but I made a point of never really idling or running at low RPMs. Eventually I had the floats and slides on the carbs switched out and it fixed this problem. They are great sleds, just don't slow down. Hey I'm gonna be up that way anyways here on Thursday and Friday I know you'll likely be east of me but if you see a couple of newer Polaris RMK 600s with gunboots mounted on the side thats me and my buddy. Good luck out there.

Before i went over to the dark side and bought an 800 REV to replace my RMK I use to have the same problem. The RMKs come stock jetted for the rocky mountains, and the dealership is suppose to re-jet them for the altitude that they are at. Got it re-jetted and it ran fine.

Thumbs up

You've got a bad case of Altitude Sickness there. You can rejet the one carb, change the metering rod depth or....Have someone bring up some Denso Irridium Fine Wire Spark Plugs. One set will get you through a couple of seasons. If I were Claude, I would stock up on some Denso Plugs for out there.

For the Bears, you should be concentrating your effort in the known Denning sights. I would take the client on an overnighter down into the Kosina River Drainage or the headwaters of Jay Creek. Highest concentration of dens in the unit.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

thanks guys, this sled is suppose to have something on it so you don't have to adjust it for altitude..some pressure deal or whatever...i'm not real smart.
    i might try those plugs on the next hunt...can you get them just about anywhere? or are they a special deal?
    i wouldn't slow down...BUT my client can't go more than 10mph most the time..what a drag. so no overnight runs with this guy, has to be on a hard packed trail, no powder, no adventuring off trail or the like. the big su has alot of water on ice right now, not sure on the maclare, otherwise i'd be down into the kosina...i'd have to do two trips...one with fuel and plugs and one with gear.
    oh ya and i melted part of my rewind, so i'm startin' this thing off the clutch with some rope...so i have to let it idle alot now to which isn't helping anything....
    Master guide 212

what kind of sled do you have?

I've got a couple of 99 vintage 700 RMKs and as has been said IF the dealer rejetted them for MOST AK conditions they should be OK through your normal range

if they have the standard factory jets they probably will be a little rich (fouled plugs)

could be something wrong with your altitude compensator

I would think it's more likely the guy who had that sled before you "customized" it, you might have to limp along this spring like you are but I'd check the jetting before next season

Wink

Several distributors in Anchorage for Denso Plugs. Check the net and use the Cross Reference Guide to select the plugs you need. But always choose the Irridium Fine Wire. They are the best.
    Have you considered the headwaters of Jay Creek? You can get to it along the top of Trophy Ridge and not have to mess with the river. Not quite as many dens, but always a good second bet.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Assuming it is all stock. The Summit jetting was fine from the factory. The compensator does it's job. First thing, fouling plugs only on one side is not a good sign. Could be a sign of a bad cylinder. Possibly a stuck float and/or bad needle and seat. This is all one piece on those carbs. Those years had a bad habit of reed boot rubber coming apart and sucking air causing a lean down on a cylinder. Make sure to run resistor plugs. These motors don't really need the special iridium plugs like the old rotary valve motors.

When you get a new recoil or fix that one glue some reflective foil on it. That will save it in the future.

its a 2002 summit 800..
    i put new boots and reeds on before the hunt, old one on the left side had a crack in the rubber, i figured it mighta been startin' to suck air...could that have made that left cylinder bad and not working so good right now...hence the fouling?
    i"ve rode this sled at alot higher alititudes and it works fine when i'm in the throttle a little, just going slow and working the throttle fouls it..so i'd guess its not a altitude thing.
    why would it work ok at higher speeds and not at slower??
    whats a resistor plug? I'm using NKG BR9ES

also does it hurt anything to run it on one cylinder?
    Master guide 212

If the reed boot was cracked thru and sucking air it could have scored a cylinder leading to lower compression on that side. Need to do a compression test. Preferably hot and holding the throttle open with ignition off to get an accurate reading. Or pull the pipe and/or reeds to look at the piston for scoring. The lower compression will not allow a clean burn hence causing plug fouling on that side. More apt to do it at lower rpm's. Scored cylinder is still just one of a few possibilities.

Plugs are good. The R means resistor.

Running on one hole is okay to limp it home with a minor problem. Unless the bad side actually burned down, then you're just doing more damage to that side. And as long as that side is still getting oil/gas. We've run machines on one cylinder such as when a throttle cable breaks to one carb or needing to help drive a sled out of the mountains when towing is not an option. Stuff like that.

Default Machine help

Jake,
    Let me know if you need me to bring you anything up. I'll be up Friday evening. I would try to get you something tonight to send in with a client heading in early in the morning, but everything is closed now and the client is leaving from here at 4:30am.

Claude
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

thanks claude but right now i'll make it. you've got plugs here when i come back in next week i'll bring a pile with me to replace what i'm mooching! good thing you've got some here! wtrying to figure out if this is something i can fix while i'm home between hunts or just gonna have to tolerate till end of the month...be cheaper to put new plugs in every day than to take it to the shop and buy parts...geez. welcome to the snowmachine buiz....

mod elan...good info...
    when i put the new boots on, the right piston was scored a bit but the left looked good..at least the side i could see.
    how do i check compression? is there a gauge or something?
    if i run it on one, sometimes the other will jump in after a while and drive like normal...so it must be getting fuel...
    Master guide 212

A gauge with a hose on it is used to check compression.
    Is there a lot of gray or black carbon on the top of the plug? Could be the spark plug cap is loose or broken inside and not making a good connection with the plug all the time. Have you tried reusing a "fouled" plug? If this looks possible a plug cap from someone could fix your problem. The Doo caps and wires are one piece, BUT you can cut the wire behind the cap and use the old style screw-on cap. The rubber one, not the plastic style.

A side note: Are the spark plugs screw top or solid? If they are screw tops then make sure to take pliers and tighten them.

ALSO: Are you running in powder and getting snow on the air intakes?

How about jetting down a size ar two on that cylinder?

Band-aid on the problem and being rich may or may not be the issue.

Disagree Mod Ive ran my race sleds like that on purpose. Its been awhile but I believe the primary side runs richer...could have it backwards

The primary side runs hotter so a lot of sleds need to run fatter jetting on that side. Some of my race sleds were the same way. Nowadays fewer and fewer sleds are stagger jetted. Jake's sled is not stagger jetted and does not need to be. Don't want to burn it down with leaner jets because it decided to pick up and run right at some point. It's extremely difficult to remote diagnose something for someone. Especially if they have limited mechanical knowledge. No offense Jake! Just trying to help you and your client out.

Good call Mod. Wasn't trying to argue just tryin to help out!

no offense i'll be the first to admit i'm short on mechanical knowledge, learning as i go here...
    top of the plugs are still shiny and clean.
    after this hunt i'll have to take it home and get it checked.
    riding on hard trails, no powder so air intake is fine. even when i do boondock it still runs great cause i'm in the throttle more.
    hard bumpy trails, in and out of the throttle, doing about 10mp or less is when it fouls up...
    you guys have gave me some places to start...i'll check compression when i get home.
    if compression is bad is it likely that i'd need a new piston and rings?
    i have no idea the cost to have it checked out.sounds like a few things that i need to check...
    Master guide 212

ATACC by Holtzman Engineering.

A temp and altitude compensator. Riding a carbed sled without one is just plain silly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast