Thread: Bear rug tanning

Default Bear rug tanning

My wife and I are going to be up the last week of May, part fishing (Anchor Point), part just driving around on the Kenai. A couple of days are free, and I want to poke around and see if I can find a black that will let me shoot it. This'll be my 3rd trip up, once on a DIY caribou hunt and another just driving my wife around.

If I am lucky, where/who would be a good choice in-state to send the hide (and maybe the skull) for processing/tanning into a rug.

Thanks in advance.

Depends opn where you are. I really like the rug Knight's Taxidermy here in Anchorage did for me a couple years ago. 344-5501 Dave at Lone Wolf does well (Eagle River) 696-3611. It would probably be cheaper to flesh it, turn the lips, ears etc, salt it, freeze it and take it home and have it done there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    Depends opn where you are. I really like the rug Knight's Taxidermy here in Anchorage did for me a couple years ago. 344-5501 Dave at Lone Wolf does well (Eagle River) 696-3611. It would probably be cheaper to flesh it, turn the lips, ears etc, salt it, freeze it and take it home and have it done there.

Don't think you are suppose to salt it and freeze it; do one or the other.

If you shoot one on the Kenai take it to Leon Metz at Northland Furs. He will take care of it for you and you wont complain about the work. He does great work with reasonable turn around time. He is located in the old log cabin near the corner of Kenai Spurr and Sterling Hwy in Soldotna.

Default Grizz Rug

Here is a Nice Grizz that was taken this Past October by a customer I had it tanned by Alpha Fur Dresser in Anchorage did the tanning and I did the mounting..

May15 - June 15 I am offering a 10% discount on Lifesized bears.. an additional 5% for Military and Youth under 16.

As for Salting and Freezing.. I reccomend one or the other.. NOT BOTH.. The salt will hinder in freezing the hide properly.. Best COA is Split, urn, flesh and salt..

Dahlberg's Taxidermy
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Here is a Nice Grizz that was taken this Past October by a customer I had it tanned by Alpha Fur Dresser in Anchorage did the tanning and I did the mounting..

May15 - June 15 I am offering a 10% discount on Lifesized bears.. an additional 5% for Military and Youth under 16.

As for Salting and Freezing.. I reccomend one or the other.. NOT BOTH.. The salt will hinder in freezing the hide properly.. Best COA is Split, urn, flesh and salt..

Dahlberg's Taxidermy
    Great job on that rug. The face looks awesome!
    How much time does someone typically have after the salt is applied before the hair starts slipping? How often is salt reapplied if necessary?

Default weather depends

Thanks Mountain man

As for the salting process.. Its all weather dependant.. If its cool, and dry, you may have 2-3 days.. If its warm and wet.. Literally hours.. On average.. skin ASAP.. rough flesh quickly.. to star tthe cooling process.. then turn the ears, split the lips and nose and flesh the face really well.. Turn the eyes to the edge and thin.. next remove the feet to the last digits of the toe and apply salt.. a misconception on salt people have is.. the more the better.. (Not true).. apply salt, and RUB it in with the pal of your hand.. Rub, Rub, Rub, all over, in out and to the edges.. in the toes, the ears, the lips, eyes.. Everywhere.. then I fold Skin to skin, and roll up and put in a game bag and hang in the shade.. Cool dry, and a slight breeze is best.. the next day remove the hide, shake off the salt and do it again.. Remove any and all red meat that you may have missed and Salt again.. Rub it in, and this time instead of Rolling, drape it over a 2x4 and suspend off the ground. Put a fan on it or place in the breeze and shade..Thats it..

Here in a couple weeks I will post a date that I will do a from start to finish on a Lifesize bear hide.. covering the turning, spliting, fleshing and salting process with just a few simple tools that can be used in the field to ensure your trophy make it in great shape to your taxidermist.. I am looking at doing it the first part of May.

Kind of a long answer but I hope I answered your question..

Hoytguy

Default Tanning

Thanks for all the advice. If I get one, I will post photos.