Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which broadheads...

Default Which broadheads...

Which broadheads do you guys prefer and why? I've shot muzzy, my father in law shoots the rage... anyone else have opinions...

I've shot the ol' Bear Razorbacks, Muzzys, NAP SpitFire expandables, SlickTricks, and now Zwickeys in my progression from shooting a compound to traditional equipment. I hope to give the single bevel broadheads a try pretty soon. To be honest, I liked them all. As long as I did my part, the broadhead did its part. Some flew better than others depending on which set-up I was shooting. Why'd I switch so much? Mostly cause I can't leave well enough alone, usually had nothing to do with the broadhead My personal opinion use to be the Bears gave me a better bloodtrail than the Muzzys, but that was only based on a handful of animals harvested for comparison.

Default I depends

It depends on the animal. Moose, bears = Magnus SS Snuffers 125 grain. Light animals like sheep, goats, deer = 125 grain Slick Tricks.

You could not get me to shoot an expandable, too many places for error.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default G5 Montec

All though the G5 Montec 125grain is the only broad head I have ever shot at a big game animal (1 black bear & 5 Caribou) I would not shot another. This broadhead fly's great and has never failed me.
    I really like that it is not expandable and is made from one piece of steel. Once I kill an animal I hang that arrow and broadhead on the wall, never to be re-used.

My opinion for what it is worth.

I've used lots of different ones but currently using wensel woodsman. I like the big hole effect. An interesting read on broadhead performance done by Dr. Ashby called "Dr. Ashby Reports" can be found at tradgand.com or probably can just google it. I shoot trad if that makes a difference in broadhead choice, my friend who shoots compound likes the slick tricks heads.

Broadheads are kinda like ford vs. chevy, hoyt vs. mathews....every person has their own preference and what works well for them.

Personally, I've shot everything from Muzzy, Wasps, G5, Rage, Slick Tricks and this year I'm shooting Magnus. Find what works for you. If you like the Muzzys they are a great head. I've shot a pile of moose with them.

Slick Tricks for me. Nothing flys better. and it kills em dead. See my moose pics on the Ft Rich thread. 100 gr standard

Default muzzy's

I shoot 125 muzzy's have had no problems.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Have had good luck with magnus stingers and shuttle t's. Was rather impressed with shuttle t's did a fear amount of damage and a great blood trail on a whitetail I shot last december.

I use Slick Tricks for the big game, and NAP Shockwaves for the smaller big game. The Slick Tricks fly better than the muzzy's did with my set up, and I've knocked down some large critters with them and have not had any problems. I'll be sticking with those. I like the mechanicals when I can though, I can get them to group a little better than the slick tricks, so I'll use them when legal. Everything is in 125 grain weight.

G5 Montec 125's for moose/bear and G5 Montec 100's for anything else.

Another vote for the G5 Montec. Solid, dependable, long lasting.

+1 to Ak145 said, Whatever you pick, just make sure they are razor sharp!! It,s a matter of where you hit them, then what you hit them with, as long as they are sharp!!

Default G5

I am currently shooting 100 grain g5 montecs and I am 100% impressed with their flight, penetration, and durability. I shot the spitfire expandables last year and they do an excellent job of making a nice big wound, and fly just like they advertise like a field point but when you are moving in and out of brusha dn bump the they do not stay closed very well.

Default BH's

I have been a strong supporter of Slick Tricks since they first came out. They fly exactly like my field points to 50 yards which was my longest test. This was with no tuning beyond field point tuning. My son, shooting partner, and daughter had the same accuracy results. They are extremely strong with their all steel construction, deadly on game and inexpensive. On top of that, I have always been able to use the ferrule and the blades over again with only a slight touch up on the blades. Once I started using them I stopped looking for anything else.

Shuttle T's are my choice.

There's only one broadhead that I will never shoot again, and that's a G5 Montec. Only reason is that they leave an extremely weak bloodtrail. All broadheads will kill, but not all are created equal.

Im using the NAP Razorbaks this year. I have a couple requirements in a broadhead. 1. They must be cut on contact. 2. They must have a cutting diameter greater than 1 inch. 3. They must be scary sharp straight out of the package. The razorbaks pass with flying colors. Very very sharp cut on contact 1.25" cutting diameter broadhead. They also have something called rotating technology which allows them to rotate on the tip of the arrows, so in theory its supposed to deflect off of bone and other obstructions easier.

I tried to get these heads to fly out of a faster bow earlier this year (around 295 FPS), and couldnt get them to fly worth a crap due to the large cutting diameter. So i switched setups and am now shooting at around 252 FPS and they fly absolutlely perfect. Im very confident in these heads after seeing how they performed on my uncles bear and moose last year. But really, you cant go wrong with ANY sharp cut on contact head. Ive also shot slick tricks, and they do some serious damage.

I love my Magnus 2-blade buzzcuts in 100 grain. Great peneration and short blood trails.

I started shooting 125gr zwickey 2 blades and I'll likely die shooting them as long as zwickey stays in buisness. There's a point where newer doesnt mean better!

razor sharp out of the package they are not...you're going to have to sharpen them regardless if you do ANY tuning....

Default Broadheads are Expensive and here is what I use.

I have been shooting 3 different broadheads. The first was the Shuttle T Loc @ 100 grains, second is the 100 grain Montec, and third is the 100 grain Slick Trick. All three fly great for me.

I found the Montec to be very strong, penetrate like no tomorrow and resharpenable. That being said, I do not like the blade angle as it is not small enough to make wicked thin cuts like a razor. Because of that I put it as # 3 of these broadheads. Usually between $35 and $40 for a 3 pack. I would like to try the carbon steel ones to see if they are as tough as the originals, sharpness, edge holding ability. etc.

The Shuttle T Loc is better and will not deviate from the arrow flight path when it hits bones. The angle on the blade is less and the blades are robust. Decent blood trails too. The head is super tough moreso than the blades and the blades are tougher than most. I cannot resharpen these well as the blade is curved. This head is more durable than the Montec. Try it and you will agree. I can find these for about $35

The Slick Trick is darn near perfect. It penetrates great, flies great and has left a big blood trail on the animals I have shot. I shot a warthog with one and he made it 70 yards. We were filiming it and had a chance to review the shots on all of the animals. We reviewed the tape in slow motion and before he took his first step, when he was crouching to get a good start on his run, blood was already shooting out. He ran 70 yards and was done. Warthogs are tough! I also shot a musk ox with one back in February. I got good penetration but not a pass through. I was a bit concerned and then realized I had hit the far shoulder. My concerns lasted about 5 seconds as he trudged about 20 yards, laid down on his side and started kicking like a mule. He was dead within a minute. No Blade damage from the musk ox, excellent blade retention system, sharp as hell and SIMPLE. He did break my arrow when he tipped over. I can usually find 3 of these for $25 on Archery Talk.

I would have no problem taking any of these heads with me on a hunt as they all fly the same. That being said, I will be shooting Slick Tricks from now on.
    Cheers,

Matt M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast