Thread: Proposal 50 page 65 BOG

Default Proposal 50 page 65 BOG

Would require anyone carrying a firearm for protection on the Kenia and Russian Rivers to have a hunting license and take a hunter education course.

Might want to read this one guys.

http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...ok-March07.pdf

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Didn't read it but isn't that out of their realm? NRA would (hopefully) be all over that.

That seems like a good idea and what the NRA says they work for safe use of firearms. I mean we have to prove that we can oporate a car (deadly weapon, if you hold it right) why not prove we can oporate a gun?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default AKP

AKP. Kind of hard to enforce that only fishermen on two certain rivers need to take HUNTER SAFETY and need a HUNTING LICENSE if they are going to carry a firearm while fishing. What about all the out-of-state people that fish there. Are they going to post signs: All Fishermen Carrying Guns for Protection from Bears Also Need A Hunting License and A Hunter Education Course.

Seems like someone wasn't thinking too hard when they wrote that proposal.

Dave, I couldn't find the proposal, I looked at page 65, and proposal 50 and it wasn't the Russian river one.

To me it is pretty obvious this will not pass but.....you never know.....

IMO, this is a liberals idea of government stepping to protect us from and the poor little bears from ourselves.

AKP, you must not be a member of the NRA. Cars and guns are totally different situations. Did you know that in the entire state of Alaska you no longer need a permit to carry a concealed weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    AKP, you must not be a member of the NRA. Cars and guns are totally different situations. Did you know that in the entire state of Alaska you no longer need a permit to carry a concealed weapon?
    When did that change?

I think its a great idea to make sure people who are using guns to "protect themselves from bears" should have some kind of firearm training. I think everybody should have firearm training taught to them in 5th grade. Its a safety issue, you don't need a hunting liscence to have a hunter ed card. There are soooo many people in the area its just a matter of time before someone gets shot, and when that happens the crazys will want to restrict having a gun at all at the Russian instead of perfectly reasonable regulation that shows that the person possessing the firearm knows how to use it. Cars and guns are essentially the same because they are both tools, in the wrongs hands they are both deadly, and they both require special skills and training to oporate safely. Now why do we regulate one more than the other?

Default Because it is poorly written and selective.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    When did that change?
    It changed 2-3 years ago.

Its a safety issue, you don't need a hunting liscence to have a hunter ed card.
    The proposal states that both would be required.

So why should only a select group of people (fishermen) have to take hunter education and have to buy a hunting license?

Why not have the people that are not fishing (watchers, photographers, hikers ....) also have to have a hunting license and a hunter education course ?

Cars and guns are essentially the same because they are both tools, in the wrongs hands they are both deadly,
    So are ATV's, snowmachines (6 deaths so far this year), boats, pneumatic nail guns, bows, Hilti guns, heavy equipment.........

It is a poorly written proposal that cannot be enforced. Nor is it fair to target a select few people.

Alaska law already gives everyone the right to carry a firearm for defense against animals.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Did you know that in the entire state of Alaska you no longer need a permit to carry a concealed weapon?
    Not quite, you still can't carry in a National Park...

Dave, you and I are on the same page along with most Alaskans.

AKP, your young and in college so you are supposed to be on the liberal side, you will change as you experience the world and pay a bunch of taxes. We don't need more government regulation and government protecting us from ourselves, at some point well all have to take responsibility for ourselves.

DPhillips, I was not aware of that, do you have a link or source for that information? Is it all National Parks? Is it just "concealed firearms" or all firearms?
    Thanks

Firearms, it is a national policy, not unique to Alaska.

DPhillips, there are many exceptions, a quick Google search turned up this about Alaska.

https://cms.akr.nps.gov/wrst/planyou...d/firearms.pdf

These Regs I also got through the NPS website and pretain to Alaska. The NO firearms policy is not a broad regulation, there are a lot of exceptions, expecially for Alaska.

§ 13.30 Weapons, traps and nets.
    (a) Irritant chemical devices, including bear spray, may be carried, possessed, and used in accordance with applicable Federal and non-conflicting State laws, except when prohibited or restricted under §13.50.

(b) Paragraphs (d) through (g) of this section apply to all park areas in Alaska except Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park, Sitka National Historical Park and the former Mt. McKinley National Park, Glacier Bay National Monument and Katmai National Monument.

(c) Except as provided in this section and §2.4 of this chapter, the following are prohibited—

(1) Possessing a weapon, trap, or net;

(2) Carrying a weapon, trap, or net;

(3) Using a weapon, trap, or net.

(d) Firearms may be carried, possessed, and used within park areas in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws, except where such carrying, possession, or use is prohibited or otherwise restricted under §13.50.

(e) Traps, bows and other implements (other than firearms) authorized by applicable State and Federal law for the taking of fish and wildlife may be carried, possessed, and used within park areas only during those times when the taking of fish and wildlife is authorized by applicable law or regulation.

(f) In addition to the authorities provided in paragraphs (d) and (e) of this section, weapons (other than firearms), traps, and nets may be possessed within park areas provided such weapons, traps, or nets are within or upon a device or animal used for transportation and are unloaded and cased or otherwise packed in such a manner as to prevent their ready use while in a park area.

(g) Notwithstanding the provisions of this section, local rural residents who are authorized to engage in subsistence uses, including the taking of wildlife under §13.480, may use, possess, or carry traps, nets and other weapons in accordance with applicable State and Federal laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    It changed 2-3 years ago.

The proposal states that both would be required.

So why should only a select group of people (fishermen) have to take hunter education and have to buy a hunting license?

Why not have the people that are not fishing (watchers, photographers, hikers ....) also have to have a hunting license and a hunter education course ?

So are ATV's, snowmachines (6 deaths so far this year), boats, pneumatic nail guns, bows, Hilti guns, heavy equipment.........

It is a poorly written proposal that cannot be enforced. Nor is it fair to target a select few people.

Alaska law already gives everyone the right to carry a firearm for defense against animals.
    As of last year when I took the hunter ed course you needed a permit to carry a conceled weapon in Anchorage and Juneau (thats what the state troopers say anyway, apparently they are wrong) looks like Frank changed that in 2003 I'd expect a movement to change that with all the "gang" violence in Anchorage. and last I checked you are required to have a drivers liscence when operating a snowmachine but they don't enforce it. I'm just saying why complain about people being accountable for firearm use and not complaining that we need a drivers liscence call me a radical leftist if you want but you need to have a hunting liscence when you hunt, a fishing liscence when you fish, and a drivers liscence when you drive why not when you carry a firearm in certain areas (i.e. the russian river)

Thumbs down Not me

I did not call you a radical leftest.

Why not? Because it is selecting a small group of people and requiring them to buy a fishing license, king stamp, hunting license and take a hunter education course just to fish. More bear encounters happened and more deaths resulted from people hiking than fishing last year. Why not require hikers and joggers to have a hunting license and a hunter education class?

And like snowmachines........ it would not be enforceable unless the State Trooper went from person-to-person and checked fishermen for firearms. If a person was just watching of taking photos, and carried a firearm to protect the fisherman, they would be exempt.

It makes no sense to have a select group of people targeted with a new law just because they have a fishing rod in their hand.

AKP, you may be right (well actually left) why don't we require a permit to have kids too, I have seen some real idiots watering down the gene pool by reproducing.
    AKP, I took my concealed carry course 2 years ago and it was not necessary to do so to carry concealed, I just wanted to do it for the training. I think it has been at least 3 years since you needed a permit, although they are still available.

I forgot, I was the one that used the "liberal" reference.

We are on different sides of the fence, with all the gang violence in Anchorage I hope more people start to carry, a couple of months ago it saved a man's life in Mountain View.
    The left thinks more restrictions on guns will prevent the violence, the old it's the gun's fault mentality. At the heart of the problem is drugs, if we outlaw drugs then we wouldn't have gun and gang violence, wait....drugs are outlawed, something to think about.

There is an old saying, "if you aren't a liberal when you are young you are heartless, and if you aren't a conservative when you are old you are stupid".

yukon,
    You are right, under special circumstances, there are special exceptions to the rule, such as local subsistence, special permits through training for biologists or other officially permitted individuals, but by and large, for the typical Alaskan visiting a National Park here in Alaska, the carry of firearms is prohibited.

I have always found that odd, too, that the Federal Government feels the 2nd Amendment doesn't apply to our National Parks, the hard park areas.

This will not pass. It will meet stiff oppusition.
    Why need a hunting lic? when your not hunting? Carry for protection!!!
    Why need hunting education? Again your not hunting!!!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

DPhillips, looking at that link it looks like in some of our National Parks we be a little more lax than it appears, from some of the info I found searching around the NPS site looked like at some parks firearms were not allowed in parking lots, around monuments and other places with frequent visitors but allowed for them in the back country.
    Who ever reads this DO NOT TAKE my word for it, do the research yourself, I just did a quick search and overview of the info that I found. It is a very good site to learn about our Nation Parks system and those that are located in Alaska.