Thread: .375 bullets

Default .375 bullets

looking for anyone who has first-hand experience (on game performance) with the 375 cal. bullets. specifically the swift 250 and 270, speer 285 gs, and 260 accubond. building a 376 steyr with a 22"-23" barrel, so my velocities will be short of the H&H by about 150-200 fps. anyone else out there shoot the 376?

I've whacked my share of game with the Speer 285 GS, and in fact my load is about 150 fps below standard for the 375 H&H. Outstanding performance. I've not popped game with the Swift, using the Nosler 270 and 300 grain partitions instead. Outstanding performance there, too.

In truth there's not an animal in Alaska big enough or tough enough to cause me concern about build quality in any of them. Several long-time brown bear guides I know well actually prefer the Remington 270 grain Corelokt factory loads over all others, factory or handload. In their collective opinions, all the whup about bullet failure is a tempest in a teapot when it comes to the 375.

Just my opinion, but at the velocities you'll be seeing there's not much benefit to using premium bullets like the Grand Slam, Partition or Accubond. They really shine above 2700 fps, but below that I don't think there's a whole lot of benefit.

In my .375 H&H I use the standard Speer 270 and 300 grain spitzers and have perfectly good results. My loads using H4350 in my Ruger M77 (24" bbl) push those bullets to about 2700 and 2500 fps, respectively.

Mike

Have you thought about the 270 Hornady. I use it with great luck in my 375 ruger. Its going about 2600 fps and is awesome medicine for wapiti.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Glad you brought it up Bigswede. They weren't on his original list, so I didn't say anything. But in our circle of friends, that 270 Hornady has sure accounted for a lot of animals out of an assortment of loads in 375 H&H, too. Drop the velocity a little like he plans, and it would retain even more weight. And accurate? Whoooooeeeeeee!

Default forgot to mention...

that this is STRICTLY a build for hunting brownies. traditional cup/core exposed lead bullets haven't shown me the performance and penetration that I want for these animals. I recover every bullet that I can, and have found core separations and even one bullet with the nose folded around without any expansion. my accubond interest comes from several stories of smaller calibers (even a 115gr .25) going through moose. customer service at Nosler informed me that the AB is designed to open to double diameter down to 1800fps. the interest in the swift bullets comes from personal experience on two animals in .30 cal. Haven't heard much about the speer gs, until now. If I could be guaranteed a 75yd, broadside, CALM animal, no problem. For the other 99% of hunting situations, I'd like some insurance in the form of a well designed bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Glad you brought it up Bigswede. They weren't on his original list, so I didn't say anything. But in our circle of friends, that 270 Hornady has sure accounted for a lot of animals out of an assortment of loads in 375 H&H, too. Drop the velocity a little like he plans, and it would retain even more weight. And accurate? Whoooooeeeeeee!
    You aren't kidding about accurate. I found recipes that went faster in my Ruger but my load at 2600 fps were 3 rounds into one big ragged hole at 100 yds. I am very happy with this load.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!