Thread: Etip Range report

Default Etip Range report

I just finished load development for my 300 RUM and the 180g Nosler E-tip. I am using retumbo and am at a near max load according to Nosler. The Etips are supposed to have a max load at the middle of the load data for the other 180g nosler bullets. It shot under 1" at 100 yrds for with 2 strings of 4 shots. Chronographed at about 3350 fps. It is the most accurate load so far in my gun and shoots at about the same velocity as a 168g Barnes TSX, but with slightly better accuracy. The 200g Nosler accubonds are a close second for accuracy and velocity at about 3150 fps with RL 25. I am shooting tomorrow again at 200 and 300 yards.

I plan on using this for Black Bears and Moose. If all goes well, maybe just about everything including deer and elk in OR. The E-tip is supposed to be a tough bullet. I would use it for Brown Bear medicine as well if the opportunity was there while hunting Blackies and Moose.

Thanks MontanaRifleman for the heads up on the load for the RUM, it helped get me in the ball park.

Quote Originally Posted by Daved View Post
    I just finished load development for my 300 RUM and the 180g Nosler E-tip. I am using retumbo and am at a near max load according to Nosler. The Etips are supposed to have a max load at the middle of the load data for the other 180g nosler bullets. It shot under 1" at 100 yrds for with 2 strings of 4 shots. Chronographed at about 3350 fps. It is the most accurate load so far in my gun and shoots at about the same velocity as a 168g Barnes TSX, but with slightly better accuracy. The 200g Nosler accubonds are a close second for accuracy and velocity at about 3150 fps with RL 25. I am shooting tomorrow again at 200 and 300 yards.

I plan on using this for Black Bears and Moose. If all goes well, maybe just about everything including deer and elk in OR. The E-tip is supposed to be a tough bullet. I would use it for Brown Bear medicine as well if the opportunity was there while hunting Blackies and Moose.

Thanks MontanaRifleman for the heads up on the load for the RUM, it helped get me in the ball park.

I like the 180gr E-tip as well. It's a great bullet in my 300 WSM.

Glad to hear about the E-Tip. I have a box of 180's on the bench and a 300RUM in the safe.

The Retumbo has always produced fast results but the accuracy has suffered in my rifle compared to 7828ssc or RL-25. I may have to revisit the Retumbo prior to this fall hunting season.

Here are a couple of E-Tips I recovered behind 400 and 500 yds. They were shot into partially frozen ground that was partially sand and gravel. One of the bullets lost a petal. it looked like it had struck a small rock as there was a fairly deep grove in the shank of the bullet.

I like the way they expand with a wide squarish front.

The velocity with this load is about 3400 fps and .5 MOA accuracy. One of my better groups was 1.8" @ 427 ds. 97.5 gr of Retumbo.

i like em too but dang they are spendy whooooo! ill stick to the corelokts cuz you know they are the deadliest mushroom in the woods.

Release Lake Trout