Thread: Waterproofing your weaponry...

Default Waterproofing your weaponry...

Ok, I don't know if this is even possible, & if the posters I've seen of tatical soliders, usin' weaponry in water, Rangers, Navy Seals, Marine Recon, etc. is waterproofing your weaponry, in order to fire after submersion, even possible?? Or all them TV Westerns where the cowboy can't fire a weapon after gettin' wet, Hollywood fluff? & what effects, in particular, Navy Seals & or Marine Recon, swimin' with their weapons SALT water, completely submerged!?

Now, in all my years in the Military, I've never came across a way to waterproof your weaponry, inside any training manuals...what gives?

The biggest problem is the mags fill with water.That said even in VN we had a water proof gun case and carried the extra mags bottom up so the water runs out. Lots of times in WWII when they stormed beaches at day time all your gear went under but the troops came to shore shooting. I was in 1st Force Recon Co. Marines in the sixties and the stuff they have now is so advanced from them I'm sure they do fine.

Most modern firearms will fire after submersion. You want to watch out for hydraulic effects of water in the barrel when firing, drain the barrel as too much water can act like a blockage and possibly force the detonation back at you or destroy the gun.
    Some firearms will get water into the firing pin chamber (if it has one) and it will retard the firing pin making a misfire as the primer was not hit with enough force. Glocks for example had issues with this and that is why they developed the maritime spring cups with slots in them to allow water to freely pass. All my Glocks have these installed "just in case".
    I don't think you have to worry too much about it, just shake the water out before firing if you must and make sure the muzzle isn't blocked with debris. You can also seal your ammo with primer sealer or nail polish to further prevent water from getting in. Some folks say it isn't an issue, I happen to coat my primers on my .44's for my Redhawk just in case I go for an unexpected dip in bear country. Why take chances?

Mountaintrekker

Watched a show on Military channel a couple weeks back about Navy Seals and they use MP5s for covert wet missions to go from sub to beach. They can come out of the water rocking with MP5s without even dumping the water from the pipe. Then when on land they transition to mission spastic weapons like M4A1, M14, MK11, M82A1, M60, M240 and so on that are landed in dry bags. Their side arms are their own, they buy them and can have what they want but Sig P228 9mm and H&K 23 in 45acp seems to be most common swim guns. Itís something how they can show up in a sub, deploy under water, and ride to the beach in a little open sub without even making bubbles till they pop up shooting.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Good old dive school in Subic Bay 1967