Thread: moose jerkey without cooking?

Default moose jerkey without cooking?

Anybody make jerkey with out cooking it in the oven or dehydrator? I would like to slice up some roasts & round stake, soak in brine & just let them air cure. Looking for any advice at this point.

Thanks

An ex girlfriend used to do this with beef (london broil cuts). She brined in a kosher salt and brown sugar mix with an unknown amount of liquid smoke flavoring. She sliced it to just under 1/4 inch thick across the grain, soaked 24 hours, and then dried it out over about 3 days.

The beef came out similar to store bought beef jerky but had a better mouth feel and taste.

I have beat my head against the wall when I got back from Africa the lsat time from not getting my guides receipt for his fridge cured jerky ,I think I ate an entire Impala ,Over the years I have tried to find something like it but never could. My guide back then has since past .
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Thumbs up It possible...

but you'll need a higher heat, & lower humidity in order to acheive it...if you have a wood stove, should be able to hang the meat by it in winter...summer time too is most possible, in the summer months of May & early June...after that....I doubt you'll have the capability to air cure it without it goin' moldy...but even if it does get moldy, all you need to do is wash the mold off...it still tastes the same...low humidity is the key...

Default What do you consider cooking?

We use our moose trimmings for jerky (you know, the hard black stuff you trim off your meat after it has hung for several days or a week?). We dip those pieces in a watery mixture of garlic, Tabasco, and soy sauce, then we sprinkle it with coarse ground black pepper and place it on the racks of the Little Chiefs and smoke away for six hours or so.

We used to lay meat strips on the racks of our old gas range too. The pilot light was enough to dry out the strips overnight. Most gas ranges don't have pilot lights anymore.

Default We did the same...

sayak, used our oven to make jerky...to be on the safe side, I'd turn the oven on it's lowest setting for 15 mins at a time, every hour...for the first three hours...& then let them dry two/tree dayz...

Default Yeah, ranges work good.

Out in rural Alaska lots of folks used to have the big ol' oil-fired kitchen ranges such as the Langes, and the like. They had cavernous ovens which people usually left open for heating their houses. These ovens also made great places to dry meat in. Don't know if folks still have them. Boy, they were a beeitch to clean the soot outa.

hap

Two things scream at me... Do NOT use ground meat for jerky, especially if it has fat added! Use good meat sliced thin, brined in salt and brown sugar, maybe some pepper and garlic. Keep it simple.

Second thing... Liquid Smoke sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lots of folks, myself included are really sensitive to the formaldehayde used in "preserving" it and it is a horrible headache in a bottle. And it tastes horrible! Real smoke is too easy and too good.

Back to the ground meat thing... Bacteria mixed into the middle of a wad of wet meat will get all the chance they need to prosper and make the consumer suffer horribly. The safety folks say you need to "cook" it at 225F. That produces pure ****e... It should never exceed 140F if you want to eat it.
    art

Default Just dry it

If you slice it thin enough, you can hang it and dry it. The people in Northway make "dry meat" out of moose. Slice it thin and hang over poles. They didn't brine it, but sure tastes good with smoke on it. Make sure to turn every few hours. They will also hang it in poles in the house during winter, just doesn't have the smokey flavor. My dad has jerky down to a science, so we just give him quarters at a time and let him go to work!

A friend down south made this exactly like they mention in the link.

He said it is very, very good.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=70414

Default thanks

the first batch was a bit to salty - to much salt in brine. Current batch is a lot better but didn't dry quite long enough, next batch I think we will hang a line up in the garage & try hanging with closepins for a couple days.

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    A friend down south made this exactly like they mention in the link.

He said it is very, very good.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ad.php?t=70414
    Thanks man sounds just like the stuff I had in S.A ,I'll give it a try
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default ...

This post is making me drool!!!!
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!