Thread: Saw a wolverine today

Default Saw a wolverine today

While I consider it pretty unusual to see a wolverine anytime, what is particularly unusual is where I saw it. I was driving east on Abbott Road just east of Lake Otis and there it was out in a frozen bog rooting for something at a tussock. I got a really good look at it (positive identification), but by the time I got the truck turned around and the camera out it was gone, sorry no pictures to post. Pretty cool sighting nonetheless. Been in AK almost 50 years and can count on one hand the number I have seen in the wild.

Default sweet!

good sighting...just one question is abbot and lake otis considered "the wild"?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Good point! After all it was within a 1/4 mile of a McDonalds! However, to me wild means it was not a captive animal.

Default wild

yeah anchorage itself is some sort of wilderness anyways...i bet that was one fat wolverine had been getting into the dumpster at mcdonalds....could you imagine the look on the employees face when they took out trash and one of them suckers jumped out...hahahhahaah....i've known a couple of taxidermists that have had them as "pets" down in the lower 48.....i'd never trust one
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Hey Oats,

I was shocked to hear of a Wolverine at Lake Otis and Abbott, but not as shocked as I was this evening when I saw one on the mud flats between Pt. Woronzof and Kinkaid Park! Needless to say, that was the last animal I expected to see waltzing through the ducks and shorebirds. Though I was carrying a camera, he was out of range of my lens. All I could do was enjoy the beastie through my binocs.

Tracey

Very cool Tracey. Any time you get to see one of these guys is something to remember. Interesting that yours was working a wetland/bog as was mine. Easy source of rodents and now eggs I guess. My wife had seen one run in front of her car on our PAVED Anchorage neighborhood road last winter. There certainly seems to be a decent number of these guys in and around town.

Default Vicious Predators

I have also saw a urban wolvering crossing O'Malley between Lake Otis Pkwy and New Seward Hwy.
    And there is no predicting what this apparent growing gaggle of killers is conspiring to do!
    And on two seperate occasions I have observed coyotes on this same section of O'Malley.
    And bunnies also. Some were alive and some were victims of encounters with automobile tires.
    What could these vicious predators have been searching for while cruising O'Malley within the heart of Anchorage?
    Oats, Tracy H, perhaps one of you should write up a proposal for the next BOG and suggest a trapping or snarring season within the city of Anchorage?

We lost three pet ducks to a wolverine in the spring of '09 here in Rabbit Creek. We're right by a major wildlife route between Potter Marsh and the mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    We lost three pet ducks to a wolverine in the spring of '09 here in Rabbit Creek. We're right by a major wildlife route between Potter Marsh and the mountains.
    DLP!!! I would protect my ducks with some snares.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    DLP!!! I would protect my ducks with some snares.
    You would think so. We've had to deal with eagles, owls, hawks, moose, brown and black bears, neighbor dogs and wild cats, seen coyotes and lynx, but never thought of wolverines.

I use to live at Otis and Tudor and over by Hood and seen coyotes all the time . But a wolverine that would be something.
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

That is a rare sighting indeed!