Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Saw a wolverine today

  1. #1

    Default Saw a wolverine today

    While I consider it pretty unusual to see a wolverine anytime, what is particularly unusual is where I saw it. I was driving east on Abbott Road just east of Lake Otis and there it was out in a frozen bog rooting for something at a tussock. I got a really good look at it (positive identification), but by the time I got the truck turned around and the camera out it was gone, sorry no pictures to post. Pretty cool sighting nonetheless. Been in AK almost 50 years and can count on one hand the number I have seen in the wild.

  2. #2
    Member sharksinthesalsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    wasilla ak
    Posts
    640

    Default sweet!

    good sighting...just one question is abbot and lake otis considered "the wild"?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

  3. #3

    Default

    Good point! After all it was within a 1/4 mile of a McDonalds! However, to me wild means it was not a captive animal.

  4. #4
    Member sharksinthesalsa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    wasilla ak
    Posts
    640

    Default wild

    yeah anchorage itself is some sort of wilderness anyways...i bet that was one fat wolverine had been getting into the dumpster at mcdonalds....could you imagine the look on the employees face when they took out trash and one of them suckers jumped out...hahahhahaah....i've known a couple of taxidermists that have had them as "pets" down in the lower 48.....i'd never trust one
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    61

    Default

    Hey Oats,

    I was shocked to hear of a Wolverine at Lake Otis and Abbott, but not as shocked as I was this evening when I saw one on the mud flats between Pt. Woronzof and Kinkaid Park! Needless to say, that was the last animal I expected to see waltzing through the ducks and shorebirds. Though I was carrying a camera, he was out of range of my lens. All I could do was enjoy the beastie through my binocs.

    Tracey

  6. #6

    Default

    Very cool Tracey. Any time you get to see one of these guys is something to remember. Interesting that yours was working a wetland/bog as was mine. Easy source of rodents and now eggs I guess. My wife had seen one run in front of her car on our PAVED Anchorage neighborhood road last winter. There certainly seems to be a decent number of these guys in and around town.

  7. #7
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Default Vicious Predators

    I have also saw a urban wolvering crossing O'Malley between Lake Otis Pkwy and New Seward Hwy.
    And there is no predicting what this apparent growing gaggle of killers is conspiring to do!
    And on two seperate occasions I have observed coyotes on this same section of O'Malley.
    And bunnies also. Some were alive and some were victims of encounters with automobile tires.
    What could these vicious predators have been searching for while cruising O'Malley within the heart of Anchorage?
    Oats, Tracy H, perhaps one of you should write up a proposal for the next BOG and suggest a trapping or snarring season within the city of Anchorage?

  8. #8

    Default

    We lost three pet ducks to a wolverine in the spring of '09 here in Rabbit Creek. We're right by a major wildlife route between Potter Marsh and the mountains.

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gr8fl View Post
    We lost three pet ducks to a wolverine in the spring of '09 here in Rabbit Creek. We're right by a major wildlife route between Potter Marsh and the mountains.
    DLP!!! I would protect my ducks with some snares.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    DLP!!! I would protect my ducks with some snares.
    You would think so. We've had to deal with eagles, owls, hawks, moose, brown and black bears, neighbor dogs and wild cats, seen coyotes and lynx, but never thought of wolverines.

  11. #11
    Member AkKevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Canton, Ohio, United States
    Posts
    119

    Default

    I use to live at Otis and Tudor and over by Hood and seen coyotes all the time . But a wolverine that would be something.
    Are we talking about goals or are we talking about dreams? AkKevin The one and only

  12. #12
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    10

    Default

    That is a rare sighting indeed!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •