Thread: Moose creek-the one by Sutton.

Default Moose creek-the one by Sutton.

Sorry if this has been covered. I did a search and got everyting with "moose" or "creek" in it. How is the silver fishing there? Does it draw a crowd? I have some company coming up this summer and would like something close without the Parks highway mobs.

nope, notta much there for salmon that you can fish for. some days jim creek isn't so bad. good luck picking those days.

mob rule in the mat-su salmon streams. try to park yourself on the bank next to the folks who look the least drunk.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by andweav View Post
    nope, notta much there for salmon that you can fish for. some days jim creek isn't so bad. good luck picking those days.

mob rule in the mat-su salmon streams. try to park yourself on the bank next to the folks who look the least drunk.
    I prefer the most drunk ones because they don't watch their beer stash as closely...

there isnt really any salmon fishing to be had on the glenn...pm sent

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by hap View Post
    I prefer the most drunk ones because they don't watch their beer stash as closely...

so thats what happened to my beer!!!!

No crowds of fishermen along the Matanuska River around Glenn Highway...and usually no crowds of salmon either!

BUT, the mouth of Moose Creek can be good for silvers if water conditions are right, found this place many years ago and very few people ever go there. Hit and miss really. That's why the Parks streams and the Knik are more popular as they are consistent. If you decide to go fish Moose, watch out for bears.

Last time I fished Moose some guys were shooting target practice. All of a sudden I heard bullets whiz through the air above me and thought it was time to leave! Guess some people want their privacy.

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    . If you decide to go fish Moose, watch out for bears.

Last time I fished Moose some guys were shooting target practice. All of a sudden I heard bullets whiz through the air above me and thought it was time to leave! Guess some people want their privacy.

Boy fishing for moose sounds like a good kick! maybe they were trying to shoot the moose before you hooked it sorry just had to do it man

Release Lake Trout

Default Matter of perspective!

Only believe a portion of what you've just read. Only one post is on track and since I don't fish it any more I don't mind telling the world.
    Go down the big hill and around the curve which is where the bridge crosses moose creek. Go up the other side and go all the way to the end of the guard rail (else you end up in a drive way) Immediatly at the end of the guardrail, turn off the road to the right and don't try to take the wifes VW in there! The road is rutted and a lot of times pretty wet but any pickup will do just fine. When you get all the way in there you'll know your in the right place. There's usually a big swirly hole (clear water) close to where it joins the big river and when theres fish in there my dog can catch them and in fact has done so on several occasions.

There is a decent King run up Moose along with Silvers and Chums. Now pay attention to this next part. YOU CANNOT FISH for the kings! Be sure to read the regs about "open season" too, back in the day this stream was not open until Sept 1st. Depending on the timeing of your companies arrival you could have a blast. Of course everyone reading this may be in there with you.
    Mike

way to go BIG MOUTH!

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    Only believe a portion of what you've just read. Only one post is on track and since I don't fish it any more I don't mind telling the world.
    Go down the big hill and around the curve which is where the bridge crosses moose creek. Go up the other side and go all the way to the end of the guard rail (else you end up in a drive way) Immediatly at the end of the guardrail, turn off the road to the right and don't try to take the wifes VW in there! The road is rutted and a lot of times pretty wet but any pickup will do just fine. When you get all the way in there you'll know your in the right place. There's usually a big swirly hole (clear water) close to where it joins the big river and when theres fish in there my dog can catch them and in fact has done so on several occasions.

There is a decent King run up Moose along with Silvers and Chums. Now pay attention to this next part. YOU CANNOT FISH for the kings! Be sure to read the regs about "open season" too, back in the day this stream was not open until Sept 1st. Depending on the timeing of your companies arrival you could have a blast. Of course everyone reading this may be in there with you.
    Mike

I was actually looking for some regs on this stream a couple weeks ago after riding in Sutton. Open season is June 15 - April 14
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

A number of years ago I called f&g to get the scoop on this stream as it seemed odd to have such a late opening. I was told they wanted to protect those returning King's. By the Sept 1 time frame there was little or no chance of impacting that run or any other run for that matter. By then the chums are "loosing" flesh and the place can get odiferous.

If this water is not specifically spelled out in the reg's, a quick call and some insight from the horses mouth would clarify any questions.

Mike

Well heck now I am going to have to check it out for dollies, bows, and maybe grayling. If they have a salmon run then there should be something in there eating up those eggs.

Default See you there?

I'll be there when the Kenai runs out of fish.

Mike

Yeah that shooting incident sort of put me off going back, which probably was the intention behind those guys action anyhow. I know some of the local boys go to snag kings in Moose or at least they used to. Caught some pretty little char in there behind spawning salmon, never anything too big though.

I realize it every alaskan river but send a pm next time want to help the one guy out here that asked the question not evry dag person who looks at this tread that river won't handle lots of fishing presure..............

Quote Originally Posted by kimjn View Post
    No crowds of fishermen along the Matanuska River around Glenn Highway...and usually no crowds of salmon either!

BUT, the mouth of Moose Creek can be good for silvers if water conditions are right, found this place many years ago and very few people ever go there. Hit and miss really. That's why the Parks streams and the Knik are more popular as they are consistent. If you decide to go fish Moose, watch out for bears.

Mike
    Thanks I have been to the mouth and that road is a little rough,alright. On the kings yes I know they are illegal. A late friend of mine lived in a cabin by moose for 30 yers[In fact his drivway exited on the Glen on that very hill you mentioned, just before the curve] His brother came up one year from the lower 48 and diecided to snag a king, and got caught. $1000 fine. And that was 20 years ago when $1000 was worth something.