View Poll Results: Do you cook/boil bear skulls in the bush?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Every time I cook em

0 0%
  • Depends on how many days left in hunt.

5 20.00%
  • I will cook it when I get home.

13 52.00%
  • No way--taxidermists need work too!!

9 36.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Do you cook bear skulls in the field?

Default Do you cook bear skulls in the field?

Does anyone else cook/boil their skulls in the field? If I plan on staying in the woods two or more days, I will cook mine out. Bear skulls tend to get ripe very quick. I am sure the F&G folks appreciate it.

I wrap the skull in aluminum foil for the first good heat on an open fire. If not the bone tends to burn on areas where the meat is not thick. When I bleach the skulls out, it is impossible for me to turn burnt bone white.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I never cook them in the field. I usually put them in water and when Im back in camp I just flesh out the skull nice a nd clean.

hap

I have boiled a number of them in the "field" on my boat, but am seeing the advantages of maceration and try not to boil skulls any more.
    art

Default Never

I have never boiled a skull. I put them in a shrimp pot and let the sea lice clean them up. 2-3 is usually adequate. Too long and you might start loosing teeth.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Dave, I Swear

this is a question I have asked all my bear hunter friends and they didn't know the answer. They use a guy who has dermasid beetles and charges like 200.00

How well does it work and Is that 2-3 hours or days?

Would it help if you placed it in a rough mesh bag big enough for the lice but too small for the teeth?

The other question they brough up is if the salt water effected the bleaching (if you bleach)
    I wouldn't think it would as the skull is still "wet" so it shouldn't soak any salt in.

Skulls Unlimited, hard to find a better way: http://www.skullcleaning.com/index_prices.php

I bury mine in the sand at the ocean side or in a nice hole scooped out in a lake (so I know where they are) keep an eye on the teeth.
    After a few weeks, nothings left on them, 'cept oils, so I put the skull in a 5 gallon bucket of gasoline for another week, then up on my roof to dry for a few days.
    The I seal them in elmers glu, mixed 50/50 with hot water and allowed to dry clear.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I had a friend who dropped a couple small skulls in an onion sack down his shrimp pots for me. The sea lice cleaned them great. I am looking at the skulls now and I can not tell the difference between the ones that were boiled/cooked or the ones dropped in a shrimp pot.

I use professional/beauty supply shop 50% strength peroxide and the powder that mixes with it. This stuff is used by beauticians for bleaching hair. Of note: wear gloves if you use this--unless you like your hands a nice white color.

I voted taxidermists, because i work for one during the fall season....we flesh em good, then pressure wash em in the "cage" lol....works just fine with no damage....not expensive either

Release Lake Trout

Default Sea Lice how deep?

Daveinthebush, how deep are you getting those sealice cleaning skulls in shrimp pots? I've never messed around with Shrimp pots but thinking 100 fathoms, or what for the best skull cleaning lice? I've tried soaking stuff in shallower and seems I can't find 'em when I need 'em Sealice/ Sand fleas I mean.

All over Halibut in 90-100 fa tho when I don't need 'em around
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Default Lice

I have run into them in Port Nellie Juan just on the south side of Culrose Passage all the way yo McClure Bay. Between 100 to 150 fathoms. Mostly in the muddy bottoms. Which is probably why I didn't do that good for shrimp there.

Default Its not magic

Remember the sealice eat fish. They will eat on the skull but it being red meat they won't hit it as hard as if you dropped a fish down there. you will still have some slimy meat left over to scrub off.
    I don't want to take away from doing it but the first time i did it I expected more.

Default Skulls

I do all the time. If I had an ocean close I would dip them in .. but don't. Just keep an eye on them, It does take a while for the teeth to leave. Not hard and never a problem.

Default Previous thread

It works great if you keep them out of the silt.
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=54990

Thumbs up

great addition to this thread trapper bob. Rep point added