Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Upper Kenai

Default Upper Kenai

I might be goin up to fish the upper kenai this weekend.. Any tips on what the fish have been hittin??

Flesh, beads and ESL's work this time of year just fine
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Flesh, beads and ESL's work this time of year just fine

Works just about anytime of the year here in Alaska. Especially on the "flippin" kenai Not gonna lie though, i'm looking forward to a Kenai trip.....or two.....
    I am not against the flippin kenai, since I cannot but suspect it keeps armies of the unworthy from discovering every other stream... ~Paul O'Neil~/~Wyo2AK~

make sure to have a smolt pattern or two, just in case you run into a pod of fish going nuts on smolt...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Alevins or small fry patterns have been producing too.
    Caught and Released

What size hook for bead fishing?

8 is my choice.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by trout-fisher18 View Post
    Depends on Bead size.. Size 6 for 6mm and 4mm for 8-14mm.. For steelhead if I can get away w/ size 2 I will.

make sure to have some mudlers and dolly Lammas too.

Quote Originally Posted by trout-fisher18 View Post

Some good reading here if you have time on your hands. Lots of old post on beads, Upper Kenai, rainbow fishing, etc...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...highlight=bead

Pay particular attention to G-smolts post here (#2)....

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=50383

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Hook Sizes

I like to go 10's most of the time for trout. 8's are fine too, but please be careful going any larger. These fish get hooked a lot, and the bigger the hook, the more damage it does to the fish. I've landed many 24-28 inch rainbows on size 8 and 10 hooks with no problems. The beauty of the pegged bead is that it gives a perfect hook-up nearly every time.

In this case, smaller is better if you ask me. Take care of these fish, they give us an amazing amount of enjoyment, but the shear number of people fishing over them leads to sore mouths, regardless of hook size.

I'm sure I'll take some flak for this small hook theory, but that's my .02.

Thanks for the link Dan, I enjoyed the article about "Mr. Slimy" sculpin and top water smolt fishing that G-smolt's post linked to.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottsum View Post
    I like to go 10's most of the time for trout. 8's are fine too, but please be careful going any larger. These fish get hooked a lot, and the bigger the hook, the more damage it does to the fish. I've landed many 24-28 inch rainbows on size 8 and 10 hooks with no problems. The beauty of the pegged bead is that it gives a perfect hook-up nearly every time.

In this case, smaller is better if you ask me. Take care of these fish, they give us an amazing amount of enjoyment, but the shear number of people fishing over them leads to sore mouths, regardless of hook size.

I'm sure I'll take some flak for this small hook theory, but that's my .02.

Thanks for the link Dan, I enjoyed the article about "Mr. Slimy" sculpin and top water smolt fishing that G-smolt's post linked to.
    Size 8 and 10 hooks are great if the majority of the fish that you hook are smaller then <20". From my personal experience the damage is done by monster hook sets, hooking small fish and the majority of jaw damage that I have observed is actually from the tippet... The line get wrapped around the maxilary bone and the flashy part is easy seperated from the bone during battle.

Other jaw damage in rainbows and dollies that I have observed is done from backtrolling w/ plugs.. This can do a whole lot of damage to the fish esp using heavier gear and effects again on smaller fish.

Picked up some 6 and 8's at the store today... Thisll be my first time fishing rainbows on the upper kenai

Default Average over 20 inches?

Quote Originally Posted by TYNMON View Post
    Size 8 and 10 hooks are great if the majority of the fish that you hook are smaller then <20". From my personal experience the damage is done by monster hook sets, hooking small fish and the majority of jaw damage that I have observed is actually from the tippet... The line get wrapped around the maxilary bone and the flashy part is easy seperated from the bone during battle.

Other jaw damage in rainbows and dollies that I have observed is done from backtrolling w/ plugs.. This can do a whole lot of damage to the fish esp using heavier gear and effects again on smaller fish.

I agree with you to a certain extent. In my experience on the upper Kenai, my average is probably 16-19 inches with 20 inch fish being not at all uncommon. I do catch a good number of fish over twenty every year and a few 24-28 (I have yet to catch the thirty incher, but I'm o.k. with 20+ in the high teens most days.)

Would you really say that with beads and a fly rod on the Upper Kenai your average is bigger than 20 inches?

I am absolutely in agreement with you on technique having some to do with it, and plugs being much more detrimental, but I catch dozens of fish each year with large, red sores that are simply from large puncture wounds in the mouth and surrounding tissue. It doesn't seem to affect their feeding habits much, but when the average fish size is, as I agree (on the upper Kenai, which is what this thread is referring to) less than 20 inches, larger than a size 8 is unnecessarily harmful to the fish.

For comparison, I've landed many a large rainbow on size 18 dry flies as well, and even some 22's, but you do have to be careful. You're not gonna reef 'em-in like a professional bass fisherman.

Kenai fish aren't all that picky about tippet size, or hook size, as they seem to focus on the right color and size of the egg, but I think we should still use as small a hook as we can get away with. If you find you are losing fish and you think it's because your hook is too small, go-up a size...But I think starting with a #6 on the Upper Kenai is unnecessary and not taking the best care of these fish.

It's not illegal, though, so I'm certainly just stating an opinion.

Would you really say that with beads and a fly rod on the Upper Kenai your average is bigger than 20 inches?
    Many, many Dollies >20" and for those rainbows that are >20" why I recomend a larger hook.. But also I rarely use smaller then a 8mm bead too.

I am by no means a upper Kenai expert, but on fish the middle alot.. Trust me that the larger hook will help insure u land the larger fish.

Picked up smaller hooks .. kinda bummed my rod didnt come in... I have to use my vintage fly rod =\

Default Good Luck

Good luck, I'm hoping to get out in the next few days myself.

Thanks for the discussion.

Scott

Headed down tomorrow....I'll let everyone know how I do
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

headed down there tomorrow also will post results!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default Report!

went down there from 8-noon, hooked a nice dolly withing 20mins, then hook a nice little bow, weather was horrible, had the stream to our selfs, other than that great day on the water. here are a couple pics.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails April 11 2010 1 (2).jpg   April 11 2010 (2).jpg  
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast