Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found out Sculpin=Blackfish...

Thumbs up Found out Sculpin=Blackfish...

& are edible fare...

I've always wondered what the heck "blackfish" were...& after seeing a thread on sculpin in the flyfishing section, & then seeing one of my huntin' partners prepare blackfish for eating (stringing them up & hung to dry by the fire), I saw that they were the same thing.

Blackfish are trapped after cutting/chopping a hole in a back water slough, & the trap is lowered into the water, & left, & then a day or two later, chopped back out of the ice & lifted & VIOLA~ blackfish/sculpin...

The locals here love to eat them & either dry them or boil them...pretty interesting to learn!

Default Want to see something cool

Catch some black fish and let them freeze if weather permits take them home and put them in the sink or tub and run some watewr over them to the point they can swim. When they thaw out they will come back to life and be swimming in the sink/tub cool as heck. I don't know if it would work in treated water with chlorination or not where I grew up we had our own well no chlorination. A large bowl/basin with snow or ice would also work. There are lots of them on the knik/palmer hay flats.
    Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men. It is the spirit of men who follow and of the man who leads that gains the victory.
    - General George S. Patton

Default I think there is a difference?

Ithink there is a difference in the species, I am not a biologist, but i did sleep in a Holiday INN express last night and did this simple google search and read each entry:

Blackfish:http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...h/blackfsh.php

Sculpin:http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...imysculpin.php
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Good point...

JMSS but I found this:

http://images.search.yahoo.com/image...sigb=12k584d9h

& it virtually looks just like a blackfish...

Default Different Fish....Yes

I agree they "virtually" look similar....I think the give away characteristic is the dorsal fin which is set further back on a black fish vs the more foward setting spiny looking fin on a sculpin.

It sounds like we both agree they are different species although they look somewhat similar...

The link you posted all looks like a sculpin to me...I can post a picture of a blackfish I caught in beer can lake this winter if you want me to?
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Default Well, Darn it all!

I can't be wrong, so ADF&G & the rest of the world will hafta add blackfishys to the sculpin class... :P

Default Sculpin are sculpin...

... and blackfish are blackfish, and never the twain shall meet.
    Sculpin stay close to the shore and dart when you approach them. They have blunt little faces and are sort of like miniature Irish Lords, only gray and w/o the horns. Some folks (mistakenly) call them "bullheads".

1st blackfish we ever caught in beer can we thought was a burbot, so we cooked him ona fire on the lake, and by god it was tasty! only 2 bites though lol.

Release Lake Trout

I don't know if you all realize this, but there are about 1000 different kinds of sculpin. Most of them live in saltwater and some in fresh. so it's entirely possible what people are calling "blackfish" are some species or sculpin.

Default Dave-

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I don't know if you all realize this, but there are about 1000 different kinds of sculpin. Most of them live in saltwater and some in fresh. so it's entirely possible what people are calling "blackfish" are some species or sculpin.
    No, not sculpin. See other Homer Dave for clarification. He will set you straight.

Wink gosh sayak, if you are inviting me...

all sculpins are members of the family cottidae. there are about 300 species in 70 genera.
    we have both fresh and saltwater sculpins in alaska, the most familiar are irish lords and great sculpin in the salt, and the slimy and aleutian sculpin in the fresh.
    blackfish are in the family umbridae, which has 4 (i think) species in 3 genera: the eastern and central mudminnow, the olympic mudminnow, and the alaska blackfish.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    No, not sculpin. See other Homer Dave for clarification. He will set you straight.
    Huh? I don't understand your post "sayak". I'm not saying that "blackfish" are definitely a species of sculpin. I've never even heard of a blackfish and don't claim to know what it is. All I'm saying is just because something is called a "blackfish" doesn't mean it isn't a sculpin. And since there are about 1000 species of fish that are sculpins that look different from each other it's pretty hard to say exactly what a sculpin looks like. It's kind of like what people call "black bass" out there. They aren't really a "black bass", but one of about 100 species of rockfish. I guess you could say that a rockfish looks like a rockfish, but I think a "yelloweye" looks significantly different than a quillback, or a china. At least I don't have any trouble distinguishing between them.

Default Blackfish in Umbridae

Umbridae (mudminnows) are a family of Actinopterygii, ray-finned fish, that inhabit freshwater environments in temperate regions across the northern hemisphere. They are generally small fish, with the largest species reaching 33 centimetres (13 in) in length, and most less than half that.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Umbridae

http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/pubs/not...h/blackfsh.php

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index...07&issue_id=37
    Kingdom:Animalia
    Phylum:Chordata
    Class:Actinopterygii
    Superorder:Protacanthopterygii
    Order:Esociformes
    Family:Umbridae

Wink sometimes i wonder if my posts even get read...

And since there are about 1000 species of fish that are sculpins
    300 species, more or less

one of about 100 species of rockfish.
    family sebastae.102 species, about 40 in alaska.
    the ones we catch here are mostly blacks and duskies/dark rockfish. (dusky rockfish were recently split into 2 species, the dusky and the dark)

and just for the sake of the topic, black bass (micropterus sp.) are not actually bass (family serranidae, striped bass are true bass) but the largest member of the sunfish family (centrarchidae) like bluegill and crappie.

whoops... just checked, 7 species of mudminnows... 4 in NA.

Does this thread fall under "Honey, I can't come to bed, someone on the internet is wrong"!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    Does this thread fall under "Honey, I can't come to bed, someone on the internet is wrong"!!!!
    almost exactly!!!!

Thanks for "setting me straight" "homerdave". Though I have a feeling you don't know exactly what the term "species" encompasses. You use the terms "family" and "species" interchangeably, but they aren't scientifically the same. I was using the term loosely, as most people that aren't fisheries biologists do, to point out that there are about 1000 different "varieties" of fish that people use the term "sculpin" to describe. And they are all different "species" of fish. Of those, approximately 300 are in the "subfamily" cottoidei that are called "sculpin". But there are other subfamilies that people call "sculpin" as well. I didn't think people were that interested in getting into that technical a discussion of all the various biological classifications. I got enough of that in college.

Default Dang!

Didn't mean to start a rift there guys!

Dave the troller (salmon, that is): I mentioned Dave the landing craft guy because he and I have an affinity for the humble blackfish, and some experience with their care and nurture. Better not say more.

Can't we all just get along?
    Goalie- this is your fault!

People here collectivey label all sculpins as "double uglies" Species is of little importance...

I always despised that name....

I especially like the big-ol' great sculpins around here with the big bucket-mouths. I've caught them on half a humpy before, swallowed whole, only to be regurgitated upon pulling the fish in the boat...usually they only puke shrimp at me!

I read in some report that there can be up to 10,000 sculpin per river mile in many productive alaskan rivers...crazy!
    Nice Marmot.

Not a problem "sayak". I was just trying to make a point and didn't realize it was going to get all technical with useless scientific terminology and facts. And I hate it when people start throwing "facts" around that aren't actually factual.

Anyway...Skookumchuck. I believe those "big-ol'" sculpin that you refer to are actually called "Big Mouth Sculpin". I've caught a few of those and they are pretty scary looking critters.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast