Thread: Valdez May Day Fly-in

Default Valdez May Day Fly-in

What would encourage light touring and heavy touring pilots to participate in the fly-in? What would you like to see?

I think it should remain as is. The only thing that comes to mind is that it would be fun for each class to have a "Bush Challenge" with a simulated load. The whole concept is to get in and out, I never seem to be able to fly light, it's always packed to the gills.
    They tried the radar gun last year or the year before without much success. That would be interesting.

I know you could get more Maule participation, if you put all the Maules together. Currently they are splitting them between heavy touring and the bush class. Also you could get more participation if you did not put the older Maules in the bush class. Based on gross weight, empty weight and mission they belong with other four palce aircraft in the touring classes.

I know some pacer pilots, (myself included) who would love to compete in the short take-off and landing competition. Problem is we fall into the bush class, and theres just no way a pacer is gonna compete with a cub.

Reguardless, i can't wait for Valdez! I look forward to it every spring, what a great way to kick off the summer flying season.

Default Nothing is going to be perfect

I fly a Citabria and have to compete against the cub's, I canít win but I can try to do my best (if I fly perfect I will beat some who's not on there game), is it throwing away my money, maybe not, maybe so. This year under similar conditions I hope to beat my own take off and landing distances(170/220). If it was at gross, I would beat allot more of them, or probably take first in the airbatic class. Only way you could get an equal competion would be for everyone to fly the same plane under the same conditions (we all know later in the day the winds pick up). It is a blast, and I wish there were more Citabrias or scouts to compete against. Also, remember that allot of good pilots that are out working because it bear season. It comes down to meeting a allot of great people, having a very fun time, enjoying aviation and hopefully thanking the awesome efforts and work put forth by the folks in Valdez.

See you all there!

Terry

I think Terry hit it right, it is what it is, we're just lucky to have it.
    I don't know about you guys, but my tail's waggin'! All the springtime stuff is here at once, Trade Show, Valdez, the first minus tide the next weekend and the hope of Kings the next after that. Whooohoo! WE RIDE!

Default Bear season

I still can't believe its held during the peak of bear season. Most guys who earn a living with their planes are--- earning a living with their planes. I've personally never been because I'm in the woods........ but to answer the original question, I'd say move the dates if you wanted more participation.

I agree with AK-Hunt.... Change the date of it! It' held in the middle of Bear season, on Mothers Day weekend, and most of the best pilots aren't there because their working.... Your actually lucky anyone shows up!

That said, I'll probably be there again this year, because it is a pretty good time.

Mid June sounds better though.....