Thread: Shore fishing for Seward Kings

Default Shore fishing for Seward Kings

I'm heading up to Alaska for the first time around the 20th of June and will be in Seward at least one of the days. Where are the kings at this time and what are the best lures to use for them? With the lures do you need to add extra weight to get them out far enough or just tie them straight to the line? I have a medium heavy action 8'6" spinning rod with 15 pound test spooled, is that sufficient or too light? Sorry bout all the questions. Thanks

Default Seward Kings

From my limited experience with fishing for kings from the beach in Seward I would say you should be able to catch them at the outlet of the waterfall at this time. It should be close to the peak of the King Salmon run by then. From the waterfall on the south side of town you should be able to catch king salmon all the way down the same road to Miller's landing. I would recommend heavy spoons like #6 silver or blue Vibrax when casting from shore. If these don't get you out far enough I would use large pixies with a couple medium split shots 16'' above the lure. These will give you the distance off shore to catch passing kings as the tide comes in. Best times to fish are probably an hour or two before high tide all the way up to high tide and maybe an hour after. Your rod sounds more than sufficient for catching kings, I would say that 15 pound test is a little light but 20-25 pound test would make me comfortable enough to not worry about losing them to line capabilities.Hope this helps.

Smile How about the depth those lures reach ?

Quote Originally Posted by SalmonMan
    I would recommend heavy spoons like #6 silver or blue Vibrax when casting from shore. If these don't get you out far enough I would use large pixies with a couple medium split shots 16'' above the lure.
    I wonder a kingsalmon is a bottom feeder. Does it staying middle of the water this time ? I wonder silver or blue Vibrax can't get so much depth.

King Salmon are not bottom feeders, they feed up as in at fish or lures above them.

Smile Can I do fly-fishing for kingsalmom in salt water ?

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan4life
    King Salmon are not bottom feeders, they feed up as in at fish or lures above them.
    Thank you for your reply, Alaskan4life. Considering that Vibrax can't sink down so much, maybe, 10' or 15', I can catch kingsalmon by fly-fishing, can't I ? Of course, I use a sinking line.

Default Kings

You might want to just head to the beach and check out what everyone is doing.