Thread: Airtronic D4 owners - How hot does the through hull exhaust get?

Anchorage, Alaska, United States

Default Airtronic D4 owners - How hot does the through hull exhaust get?

I had to put my through-hull in a spot where I have vinyl on the outside - I removed a circle big enough to give me a half-inch clearance from the fitting, but I wonder if I should remove more.

Because of the limited clearances I had to work with I wrapped a crazy amount of fiberglass insulating header wrap around the exhaust pipe on its route to the through-hull. I've ran through two 50 foot by 1 inch and one 50 foot by 2 inch rolls of the stuff. Thats on top of the fiberglass "sock" it came with.

In spots I have 3/4" of insulation in the places where it got within an inch of anything (worried about the blistering zolatone and/or the aluminum conducting heat to where it shouldnt be.

I have a min of 2 inches clearance to anything burnable.

Man this has been a PITA install - I got fancy with my ductwork, combustion air, exhaust, and outdoor fresh air/indoor air mixer and bit off more of a project than I expected.
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse

No vinyl stripe on my boat, but I suspect that your 1/2" clearance will be sufficient. Be careful where you hang your fenders if you use them. Your exhaust will be hot enough to melt them. How about some pics of the install?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Niceville, FL

I need to come take a look at the new boat and the install. I'm about ready to start the installation of my D2 kit.