Thread: Kotzebue transportation

Eagle River, Alaska by way of Mobile, Alabama

Default Kotzebue transportation

Need some advice. I'm moving to Kotz and need to know what your opinion is. Should I bring a Jeep Wrangler and a 4wheeler or should I bring a Polaris Ranger Rzr with a hard top that would serve as both?

Default kotz

hmm..that's a tough one. both options will serve you well. can you bring a snowmobile? You might feel trapped in the winter with no snowmachine. i've been in kotz for about a year and half w/ a wife and 2 kids...we just sold our dodge durango because we barely used it. i now have a snowmachine, an ATV, and a cushman haulster.
    are you going to be here alone?

My 18 year old son may come with me. Other than that, yea I'll be alone. The Razr has snow tracks that I was thinking of getting in place of a snowmachine. If it didn't work very well as winter transportation, I was thinking about getting a snowmachine later. So in other words, the Razr could serve as local transportation, a 4wheeler, and a snowmachine?? Not really sure!

ATV's and Cars/Trucks are good on the back to back Cul de sac roadsystem around Kotz, ~~LOL!!~~ all Loopy

They ocassionally make an "Ice road" when they want to move big stuff, or lots, and the locals make the most of em up these rivers, but the time use is breif and between storms.
    Hands down, there is no better tracked vehicle inthe Arctic than a snowmachine.

Id say, for general use, #1snowmachine, #2 boat, #3 Atv #4 other.

Boating in the Sound and inlets is a thing best learned over time, before you do it yourself, as conditions are harsh quite often.The bounus side to a boat is that it opens up WAY more country in summer.

A snowgo and an ATV will do ya fine, and a Jeep about town is handy.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I can bring a 4wheeler and snowmacine, no problem. Are boats fairly easy to come by up there? I know it will cost an arm and leg! What's mostly used, prop or jet? Any restrictions on boat engines ... 4 vs. 2 stroke? Seems to be more and more down here.

Sure, theres boats for sale.
    Boating starts in late June and ends in early October, with snowmachines the rest of the year.
    You must register your boat, but I havent heard of any motor restrictions.Lotsa props and jets around.
    4 stroke is the way to go, if you can with outboards, the snowgos in 4stroke are still heavy and not very reliable in below zero, but their getting better. You get twice the range per gallon with 4 stroke over two, and thats a big consitteration.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

get a argo and track it ALL Year round utility and warm in the winter with a top on it.

I'll check it out, thanks.

Default Mudd-Ox

Check out the Mudd-Ox. I have heard that they are even better than the argo.