Thread: Growing Rhubarb

Default Growing Rhubarb

I would like to get a patch of Rhubarb going at my place on POW. Can it be grown from seeds? Can I ship the root starts up or down from somewhere? It grows at folks houses but I don't want to ask to chop out their patch. My folks love rhubarb/cherry pie.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default A friend of mine.......

......gladly gave me some of his rhubbard. You can take a fully grown plant and chop it in half down at the root (in the dirt) and plant the new part. The new off shoot should grow, if taken care of.

You could chop out my patch but I only have four, as of yet. If I had fifteen or twenty I wouldn't care a bit, to give away a few.
    “There's a humorous side to every situation. The challenge is to find it.”
    George Carlin

Yeah...you can split the root ball/wad/whatever they call it. My wife asked me to dig up and split one of her plants so she could give some to a friend. What a PITA that was...the thing was almost the size of a soccer ball and ugly as heck...

I read somewhere that it's actually good to split those things up from time to time...and the parts that I replanted flourished afterward. Not sure if it's better to do in the spring versus fall (I did it in the spring)

You can do seeds but it is quicker and easier to start from a root ball. I suspect that you can buy starts. Maybe not if coffman cove but if you make it to one of the larger towns you should be able to pick some up.

once you split a root up you want to let it grow the next year without cutting any of the stems. stuff is **** near invincible once it gets established. you want to start it from a root cutting, not seeds.

if you know someone on POW with several plants they'll probably share. if not i'm headed down there at the end of June for work...there's tons of the stuff around the mat-su I could bring you some if you can't find any locally.

Rhubarb, raspberries, chives, and strawberries are extremely hard to start from seed. It is best to get a start from someone who already has an established plant.

Well actually I grew mine from seeds, as I needed rhubarb with low acid content. I do not think it was difficult at all!! So it is an option, too. But, you will get to eat rhubarb so much faster if someone shares theirs with you!

When we transplanted our root, it died the first year and came back huge the next. So don't be surprised if it does this.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

You cant kill the stuff after its been growing for a few years,

Had moose eating it, tromping the heck out of it, and it just keeps coming back bigger every year.

I think I'm at about 3' stems in July-August.

Gooch,

If you are willing to wait till mid may I can direct you to somewhere you can get some cuttings that you can grow at your place. I do not know how to do the PM thing but you can try to send me one with your email. I will get ahold of you and let you know the details. Is there a variety you are looking for? Let me know.