Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: question about sea otters

Default question about sea otters

i just got two sea otters out of whittier this weekend and i was wondering if there was a certain dept or person at fish and game to get the hides tagged and drop off the skulls. any help appreciated

Default sure

contact the department of fish and wildlife. they'll take real good care of you

howd you get em? gotta permit or right to have them? If your native then cool but otherwise......

Release Lake Trout

Didn't you guys see the "Native Handicraft" emblem next to his user name. Geesh.

However, Arcticfox, might have been smart to ask this question BEFORE you harvested an otter or 2.
    Pretty sure Fish and Wildlife Service handles Sea Otter stuff. Give them a call.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

jeesh sorry man.....

Release Lake Trout

Sea otters are sealed by the Feds or one of their designees.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-05-2010 at 19:43.
    Now what ?

Default well i got them tagged today

it was pretty interesting, the biologist just asked a few questions about where i got them, put a tag on my hides and he kept the skulls and that was that. he also told me the last census they did about four years ago showed that there are about 3 thousand otters in kachemak bay alone. he told me to thin that area out the next time im down that way. he said that with the population booming they are finding that they are getting diseases similar to cancer and are starting to die off. so even if some people dont agree with me shooting seals or sea otters, which is my right as an alaska native, thats okay they are entitled to their own opinion. but the fact of the matter is, i only know of three crews in the anchorage area that go seal hunting, mine is one of them. i doubt that we are even putting a dent in the populations of seals or sea otters.

Default not so fast!

from my understanding, not all natives can hunt them. only coastal natives. so don't rubb it in to much.

but river otters and sea otters, that too is different. but yes the fed's (dept of fish and wildlife) regulates that.

the thing wrong with what you have posted and how you've gone about things is this-

where are the photo's? what is the story?

then we can get into things like, did you know there are a gazillion of them (sea otters) out of whittier. did you know you can take my white ass with you? ect,.

Here's a question for you, can you sell them to someone that is not native?

Another Geesh!
    Haven't you ever been anywhere that someone was selling sea otter stuff, hats, etc.? The Fur Rondy sale at Dimond Center always had a guy from Valdez selling stuff. Handicrafts are saleable to anyone. Hides only saleable to natives.

Go get em Arcticfox. Sell all you can. Not many folks working at it from what I've seen.
    One or 2 ladies in Shishmaref use them if they can buy the hide for a reasonable price.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    NO he can't unless they are made into something like a hat they have to be significantly altered
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Default skulls

what was the reasoning that the federal agent kept the skull?
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Go Natives GO!

Any motivation you can give your friends to kill as many otters as you can from Katchamack bay would be AWSOME. There are WAY to many otters down there. I have watched the population swell to huge numbers in the last 20 years, and it has done real damage to the clams, mussles, shrip, and crab populations in the area as well.

If there wasn't a restriction on hunting them, I would be taking a dozen a year or more. I did some contract work for a native organization last year and had the chance to inspect a Sea Otter pelt and it blew my mind. That is some high grade fur! Some of the best, softest, and warmest stuff I have seen.

GO Get EM'

PS. If anyone is wondering where to easily harvest 50-100 otters in a weekend, and you have a legitamate ability and reason to do so, PM me and I will let you know exactly where you need to go in Katchamack bay.

the biologist kept the skulls because they have a little tooth right next to the canine that they yank out and cut in half. they then count the rings to see how old it is. the only marine mammals they keep track of are otters,( because of the rate of disease) walruses, and polar bears (because of the shrinking ice fields).

Odd that they couldn't just yank the tooth and give the skull back.

Hmm...I might have to call to see what they do with the skull afterwards. I sure would love to have one or two for my classroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Odd that they couldn't just yank the tooth and give the skull back.

Hmm...I might have to call to see what they do with the skull afterwards. I sure would love to have one or two for my classroom.
    Let us know what they say...

Having spent some time kayaking in Kachemak bay and Tutka bay, I can confirm that the place is completely covered in sea otters! Wouldn't have any interest in taking any of them, they're just to awesome to watch splashing about.

Out of curiosity, I know that they were hunted to near extirpation a long time ago but have the numbers fully rebounded yet? I thought that the kelp never recovered on account of the urchins having a free run without any otters to keep them in check. I don't really know much about this but would love to know more if anyone is familiar with the ecology of it all.

well they could have just yanked the tooth out if the mouths were open but they were rigormotised shut so he said he was was going to have to break them to get at that tooth. there wasnt much of a skull left, i shot both of them in the head with a .22 next time ill use a stick to keep the mouths open.

Default Good Job

I'm glad someone gets to harvest an otter or two. I agree with others Otter hides makes some of the nicest cold weather gear available. Out of curiosity do you eat them? If so how to they taste?
    I'm going to ctrl-alt-delete you so hard your mama's computer is going to reboot.

the biologist asked that same question and no i dont eat them, and i dont know of anyone who does. after learning about the diseases i wouldnt recommend it. you dont have to salvage the meat, just the hides

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast