Thread: Sitka Herring

Default Sitka Herring

The herring have returned. With them are the birds and hopefully the salmon. Spent a couple hours an a beach near town today. The sea is awake again.

More here if you are interested.

Happy Easter,

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Fantastic Bruce!

Unfortunately for me, I just went back to work (overseas now, not the Slope) and am missing some great scenery. The wife tells me the whale are hugging the shore along HPR again.

I did grab some opener shots before I left, and could post them here if you don't mind.

Forgot to comment, that I liked the raven shot the best. We've all done eagles (and still do!) but sometimes overlook some other cool birds.

Thanks again.

Hey Brian,

Please post them here. Would love to see them. I did not get out on a tender this year and did not shoot any of the opening. Thanks for the comment on the raven. They are so hard to shoot and get any detail. I am about ready to give up on ravens. Safe travels home.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

wasilla ak

Default black bird

i like the raven shot looks like hes got a bit of an underbite tho....nice shots all around olga....i love this time of year...its like the alarm clock is going off and everything is really starting to come alive again
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

I stayed on the road for the openers myself...

Nice job on the pictures Brian. How are you liking your new camera? The local permit holders did quite well. The troopers are involved with some skippers not playing well with others during the last opening. I talked to some folks that were listening on the VHF and had to turn the radio off due to language. Too bad. It is usually a fun and exciting time.

I like the the lone tender the best (#2) Nice work.

Still digging the new camera. I picked up a Manfrotto 190 carbon fiber tripod and a 498 something head a week ago. Can't remember the exact model numbers, but here's a picture...

...I went for the version with 4 leg sections so it would be easier to hike around with.

I was using it for the pictures above, standing at the north gazebo at the HPR Rec Park. Also used for some sea gulls in the harbor. It really helps!

Missed the last opener, and now the spawn, as I'm back in Afghanistan working. Was home all of March, but the weather wasn't exactly my friend most days.

***NOT MINE
    These were emailed to me from the 2010 season.

Herring dove and they slammed into the Tender