Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haul Road Update???

Default Haul Road Update???

Has anyone been up the Haul Road here in the last week or so? Were there any bou spotted?

Just herd from a friend. The bou are moving toward the pass and they saw one grizz. I am going up with a friend in a couple of days. I will post upon my return.
    "Bark,bark,bark,sniff,sniff,bark,and bark" - Lynchs Blue Roan Lynch E.C.K.

Drove to Prudhoe on the 22nd and there were thousands in Chandlar just south of the pass. Saw a herd of about 20-30 coming off the north side of Atigun as well. Didn't see any sign of bears up yet. I was thinking about heading back through and looking for a moose since the registration season is open until the 14th, but I won't have time.

I have a few friends that drive that road delivering materials every other day. There are some bou in chandalar but tucked into the back and really hard to get to with the softening of the snow. I have reports from them coming in everytime they drive up which is every couple days. The best time is to catch them is north of the pass after they drop over atigun. I plan on headin up around the 19th like last year it was still cool at night but warming during the day and lots of bou north of the pass and it looks like that's gonna be about the same time they start heading over the pass just like last year.

Thanks for the inputs. If all goes well tomorrow, I should be making a trip up that way soon.

Default ^^^^

I am going today and might be up there for a few days. If you see this little guy with his head pressed against the window stop and say hi. I will be the dork in the drivers seat.

Quote Originally Posted by willyum10 View Post
    Thanks for the inputs. If all goes well tomorrow, I should be making a trip up that way soon.

Good luck. Might see you in a few days.

Just got back. The weather was getting colder with a little snow fall yesterday. There were more Bou on the north side of the pass than the south side. Steady stream of Bou in groups from a few to 50 walking north through the shelf and then going back behind Chandalar camp and reappearing on the north side coming out of the first Atigun river. There were a lot of wolves on the shelf making the Bou very nervous.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Lynch...any luck getting a bou??? if so, more pics please!!!!

I was afraid someone would ask that. No I did not get a Bou. I should have though. I got buck fever on a close shot and missed and could not shake the nervousness. It made me skidish on other possible shots that I passed on after that. I have a problem with getting buck fever when bow hunting, I have never had this problem with a rifle though. I have had good luck bow hunting before but am still pretty new to it. My buddy who is a very good bow hunter thinks it is having the animals so close that is getting me excited and told me to just stick with it till I shake the over excitement. I might try going up again later in the year, hopefully with a bow but I might try to get one out of the corridor with my rifle again. I always have a great time up there no matter if I get anything or not.

I went up there about two weeks ago. Bou were all by the Chandaler DOT site. Wind was at about 39 knots according to the DOT guy. Lost all my arrows in the wind and also due to not enough practice. If the snow starts melting and you look east of the actual DOT road sign about 50 yards or so out, you should find several of my arrows. Should be some 32 inch Easton carbons. If you want to be a nice guy you can return them to me. Hahhaha. Got to make some money to buy some more arrows.

Sapper 2-6

Default RVs on the Haul Road

Last year my father and I hunted caribou on the Haul Road and made the 5 mile hike in. This year, we are looking at bringing up some Grandparents and RVing instead of camping. Are there pull-outs for a 34 foot RV or is that too large for up there? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default A gental reminder

Last fall at an AC meeting, and Bioligist report, i learned something about the bou in the spring, the cows with antlers are the pregnant ones, they hold the antler until calving time.. the calf in them is still small but will soon start a fast growth spurt and develop rapidly over the next month or so.. if you want to avoid pulling calfs out... avoid shooting the antlered cows...

good luck
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

XC Hunter,

Atigun River 1 has a nice size pull off that will work for you. There is also a gravel pit just before Pump station #4 that has a lot of room. Haven't been past Mile marker 295 on the Haul. Hope it helps out.

Drove up from Fairbanks yesterday. The caribou are starting to funnel into the Slope Mountain area in high numbers. Also saw some a few miles north of Galbraith, but they were headed north at a pretty good pace. A couple of hunters were out there making them nervous.

Jerod,

Were you hunting? Did you get anything? Me and a couple of other guys were up there a couple of weeks ago. Saw at least a thousand down by pump 4 and Gailbraith. It was pretty windy up there. Wasn't able to get a shot on any. Oh well have to wait til later this year to make a trip back up.

Nope, I was just driving through. I'm all tagged out for 26B as of October, 2009. Gotta wait until July now and get my 5 fresh tags. Looking forward to the increased opportunity later this year!

Default Depends

It really depends where the animals are concentrated and what time of year it is. There are a few large pull outs north of pump 2, one just a mile south of pump 2 at the restrooms, and one a few miles south of that. That area seems to be best around July and Aug. If going later you may want to be further south, theres good pullouts at happy valley, probably be able to back in at slope mountain if no one is there, and there are a couple more inbetween all those. Like I said it all depends on the weather, insects, and a few other factors as to where I would be hunting. I would recomend having the milepost in hand as it will tell you every pull off, it also has some cool facts and information about landmarks and such.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by xchunter View Post
    Last year my father and I hunted caribou on the Haul Road and made the 5 mile hike in. This year, we are looking at bringing up some Grandparents and RVing instead of camping. Are there pull-outs for a 34 foot RV or is that too large for up there? Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
    Bob

Become one with Nature......... Then Marinade it.

Just got back. Up side lots of Caribou. Down side as many hunters! Like combat fishing, I hiked out beyound the 5 mile limit to get away from them and was alone till I got within a few hundred yards of the road. Had other folks scarring off the animals I was stalking when I was in sight of the road! Area is being worked hard by wolves as well and the caribou are on full alert, recomend a team aproach, solo stalking was very dificult.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

anyone have word on Yukon river ice?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast