Thread: Info re. Copper Lake, Twin Lakes, etc.

Default Info re. Copper Lake, Twin Lakes, etc.

Here in the Interior, though our snow is vanishing FAST, we still have 3 feet (+) of decent to good ice on many/most lakes.

I'm contemplating one final lake trout trip, and have been considering Copper and Tanada Lakes.

Can anyone tell me about current status re. use of snowmachines on those two trails and lakes??

Trail conditions?

Ice conditions?

Stream/river crossings?

Cost, size, and amenities of cabins on Copper Lake during the Winter season?

Current condition of the Nabesna Road?

Current regs in Wrangell-St. Elias re. toting along a firearm??

----------

If nothing else, I'm thinking ahead to July or so, and the possibility of taking an older 19' Grumman canoe in on a trailer with a motor, etc., to one or more of the road-connected lakes there; Twin Lakes, Jack Lake (is Jack Lake technically road-connected?), etc.

How productive is lake trout fishing/trolling at these road-connected lakes?

----------

Any and all info re. -any- of these prospects would be more than appreciated.

Thanks

Never mind, I found nearly all of the information I was seeking.

Thanks to the person who sent a PM with specific information re. resources.

The Nat'l Park Service was also quite helpful, as were various other information resources.

I guess we'll see what happens next; possibly a decent drive and some good fishing.

I went up there last weekend. The trails are still good. The fishing was SLOW! We only caught a small laker and a burbot jigging in about 20 of water. A guy next to us though caught a 15 pound laker on a setline. Try fishing the points, and bluffs on copper. I've heard Tanada lake is more productive though. You just need to go when the fishing is good. I've seen several lakers in jack lake...and I caught an 8 pounder in january. Good luck, hoped this helped.

Thanks.

In fishing lakers, we've always relied a bit on the thickness of the ice and the current temps, as well as what kind of winter it was overall. When it's been notably thick ice, and a relatively average to cold winter, we've gotten them off the bottom in as deep as 160' (over in the Yukon Territory), though we've gotten them in much shallower water, too.

In doing that, we've tended to focus on abrupt (underwater) ledges in the bays, following the contour of the hills. The steeper drop-offs have provided good fishing both summer and winter, but I've never fished the two primary lakes in question before.

I was recently told that Tanada has had less pressure due to persons heading for the cabins being focused on getting to Copper Lake, and going right past Tanada.

I also heard that folks have done well without going beyond Jack Lake.

Re. the 'bite being on or off,' that's been my finding elsewhere (Canada) too. Youngsters from Whitehorse were at the lake we go to each spring inside Kluane Nat'l Park, and they had a fish viewer (Aqua Vu, if my memory serves me well...) None of us were gettting any action, but they were seeing them at various depths and in various sizes toward the end of March. The lakers were still often running deep at that time, ranging from right on the bottom, to 10' or 20' off the bottom, with the odd stragglers right near the top.

I guess it partially depends on the oxygen stores of the lake in question, as well as how cold the winter's been, how thick the ice is, etc., etc.

At the same time, I've seen incredibly slow days, with lots of fish known to be in the water, and after sundown, we'd charge some glow-in-the-dark lures on our snowmachine headlights, and BANG!!! Even if they weren't fully hooking up, something about those glow-in-the-dark lures seems to irritate the snot out of them!

Thanks for the info.