Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Easter – Egg-Hunting and Shooting Thread

  1. #1
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default Easter – Egg-Hunting and Shooting Thread

    My big-boy Ryan turned 6 in February. He‘s shot foam darts, BB guns, and air rifles, but shot his first firearm today. First, he sought eggs with 3-yr-old brother Miles. (Notice on the first one, the toy Walther in Ryan’s back pocket. He’s always tactical).






  2. #2
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    They moved fast to find every possible egg.






  3. #3
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    6-yr-old Ryan prepares to shoot a real firearm for the first time.





    Practicing his aim with the safety on.


  4. #4
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Firing a rifle for the first time.






  5. #5
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Success!


  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    south Jersey
    Posts
    48

    Default

    That's an outstanding way to spend a beautiful Sunday with your son. By coincidence, my son and I went to our gun club today. Mine's a little older than your's (21), but we fired off a couple of boxes of 30/30's at the rifle range, and then had some friendly archery competition. We just about had the whole place to ourselves.

    Happy Easter!
    Jeff

  7. #7
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiremanJeff View Post
    That's an outstanding way to spend a beautiful Sunday with your son. By coincidence, my son and I went to our gun club today. Mine's a little older than your's (21), but we fired off a couple of boxes of 30/30's at the rifle range, and then had some friendly archery competition. We just about had the whole place to ourselves.

    Happy Easter!
    Jeff
    Nice Jeff. My sons only have fired toy bows up to this point, but anytime Miles finds a curved stick in the woods, he picks it up and announces that he is "Legolas!" as he shoots some Orcs or Nazgul. I try to stay out of the way.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    south Jersey
    Posts
    48

    Default

    I love it when kids have a healthy imagination, and don't 'need' the latest video game system to keep them amused. You're doin' a great job bringing up your son!

    Jeff

  9. #9
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default Send a copy...

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    6-yr-old Ryan prepares to shoot a real firearm for the first time.





    Practicing his aim with the safety on.

    ... to the office of NY senator Chucky Schumer. Warm the cockles of his heart by letting him know that family values are alive and well.

  10. #10
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FiremanJeff View Post
    I love it when kids have a healthy imagination, and don't 'need' the latest video game system to keep them amused. You're doin' a great job bringing up your son!

    Jeff
    Thanks Jeff. If you're right, that's the best compliment I could hope for. 3-yr-old Miles kept saying "I'll shoot now." My wife told him that he would be able to shoot next Easter. He looked skeptical. Happy Easter.


  11. #11
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... to the office of NY senator Chucky Schumer. Warm the cockles of his heart by letting him know that family values are alive and well.
    Sayak, putting the phrase "Chucky Schumer" in a thread about good children is inappropriate if not highly scary. You might as well use a phrase like "naked mole rat poop." Let's keep this thread clean please.

  12. #12
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,790

    Default Ooops!

    Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Sayak, putting the phrase "Chucky Schumer" in a thread about good children is inappropriate if not highly scary. You might as well use a phrase like "naked mole rat poop." Let's keep this thread clean please.
    ... I meant Michael Bloomberg.

  13. #13
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... I meant Michael Bloomberg.
    That's almost as bad.

  14. #14
    Moderator LuJon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    11,415

    Default

    Awesome!! That is one of the things that make the AR such a great weapon to own! I have one and my boys started shooting it at 5 years old.

  15. #15
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Awesome!! That is one of the things that make the AR such a great weapon to own! I have one and my boys started shooting it at 5 years old.
    Thanks Lujon. It's too heavy for him to hold off hand, but it doesn't recoil in the prone. I will keep him practicing with the air rifle, and maybe get him a bolt 22LR next year. I also will teach him to shoot that AR well over the next couple of years and eventually get him something like a .243 to start hunting with.

  16. #16
    Member patrickL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,131

    Default

    Nice photos. Good to see the family spending time together for the holidays. I think my favorite memories are of learning to shoot and hunt with my father. My little guy, just now 2 and half months, has a ways to go. But that doesn't mean dad doesn't have a JC Whitney .22 ready for him to learn on. My dad gave it to me and now its going to my son. Thanks for sharing.

  17. #17
    Sponsor ADfields's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Missing Palmer AK in Phonix AZ.
    Posts
    6,416

    Default

    Even got him policing up his brass! I think (and hope) you got a new shooting and hunting buddy for the rest of your life.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

  18. #18
    Moderator hunt_ak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Wasilla--Cantwell Transplant
    Posts
    4,600

    Default

    Man, my first real firearms experience sure wasn't with an AR variant looking through an EOTech...well done Ryan! (and Dad )

  19. #19
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,946

    Default

    Thanks guys. I do eventually need to get him a rifle he can lift and shoot offhand--other than the air rifle. But he was pretty excited at the time. We'll save the brass from his first shot. He's a good helper.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •