Thread: windshield material?

Default windshield material?

I'm looking to put a windshield back on my Koffler sled for hunting and fishing. It had plexi glass that a previous owner had put in. Would that work well again or is there another tougher lexan or something that would be better?

Plexiglass scratches easily, especially if you cover it or trailer it on a dusty/dirty road. It's cheap though and you could replace it annually as part of your spring tune up...
    BK

FS,
    I have used polycarbonate for all sorts of applications and I think that a 1/4'' thick sheet would work great. As for its durability It is hard to beat.
    Hopes this helps,
    Blade dude

Get scratch resistant lexan, it has uv protection so should last you fairly well. If you're going to use windshield wipers, then you are better off with getting windows cut from safety glass.

Default Glass

1/4 thick laminate (like a vehicle windshield) is your only reliable option if you want no scratches. Plex/Lexan will scratch and haze if you clean them or get anything on them, cost is relative between Laminate glass and plastics.

PM me for more info...
    Owner RIVAL GLASS CO.

This is a good thread being as I'm about to change my windshield as well.

I do have a two part cleaner that I got from napa, and it work's well to a point. That being said, I'm thinking of going glass.

Default Depends on mounting, movement

As another glass business owner (Pacific Mirror & Glass, LLC on Kauai); here's my take (being surrounded by boats here):

1. The Lexan/Polycarb will hold up better than regular plexi, but not as well as glass (I fish on a boat that's got leaking, cracked windows; believe they're plexi or lexan; owner gonna switch to glass)
    2. How's the glass mounted/held in place? If surrounded by a gasket then the laminate glass should work fine; however, if there's lots of movement (twisting of the frame, impacts, etc.) the laminate will be susceptible to cracks along the edges, with "runs" forming later but the beauty of lam is that it will stay in place (note the thousands of Alaska vehicles with busted windshields running around)
    3. Glass will accept products like Rain X much better and as noted, will not generally scratch as easy, but don't believe it's impervious to abuse/neglect.

Tempered is a pretty good way to go although the cost/availability may complicate things (we have to get tempered from California). Tempered will be 4x strong on the face meaning it will take a serious whack on the face, plus the tempered glass surface is "harder" meaning it's more difficult to scratch. Downside is when it breaks, it's all over the place. Pros/cons to any of the choices; me? I'd go lam or if serious vibration/movement occurs, then tempered.

Jim

PS----IMO for a pilot house window (forward facing); I'd go with 3/8 glazing (I think Diamond Sea Glaze has that option?). Although it'd be expensive, I'd specify the combo of tempered glass laminated together; the ultimate in protection; get the impact resistance and the whole thing to stay in place in case of breakage.