Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tied my first flies EVER

Default Tied my first flies EVER

So I have been saying for about a year or so It would be nice to tie my own flies but never committed to getting the vice and tools. So Friday my wife surprised me with a kit for my birthday. So I tied a wooly booger that I followed instructions from a site online then attempted to duplicate some that I saw on here..

I know they are crappy and im almost embarrassed to post them after seeing some of the pieces of art made by some of you but here they are..

I bet they catch you some fish....great job

Don't worry...you might be embarrassed, but I don't think the fish will care.

Go throw 'em in the lake, see what happens.

Dont get so down on yourself, that is a good start. Keep at it and if you have the chance sit down with an experienced tyer, I know that doing so has helped me enormously.
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Default Congratulations...

I favor the green and black. Good job.
    And you didn't crowd the eye like some of us when we started .
    Fish 'em!

I've been tying for 11 years and half my flies still look like that
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks everyone I feel less bad about it now! Now if the Chena will thaw out I can test these babies out...

here is another I made today..

Did you whip finish your fly behind the hackle on the last one? If so, you should whip finish just before the eye of the hook and leave no gaps between wing and hackle. But that fly, with a dubbing body and some rubber legs has serious potential...
    Keep tying!
    Riley

Yeah I finished it off between the hackle and wings. So the way you're saying should I tie the wings and the tip of the hackle in the same wraps and then run the thread back to the front then wrap the hackle and finish in the front behind the eye.

No better feeling than catching fish on your own flies you tied. keep it up

Thumbs up Great job.

Quote Originally Posted by Bsj425 View Post
    Yeah I finished it off between the hackle and wings. So the way you're saying should I tie the wings and the tip of the hackle in the same wraps and then run the thread back to the front then wrap the hackle and finish in the front behind the eye.
    Not to step on Riley's toes... but yes. Tie the wings in, tie the hackle in right where you tied in the wings, move the thread to the front behind the eye, wrap the hackle forward, tie off the hackle, whip finish.

Nice work on your first flies! You're off to a great start. Keep it up! There's a lot of satisfaction to be gained from catching fish on flies you tied yourself.

Be sure to post some pictures when you finally get to field test your flies - I have a feeling you'll fool a fish or two.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

here is one with the finish in the front and the hackle right against the wings.. the hackle got kind of twisted

and something different

I think my biggest problem is patience i think im rushing too much to see the finished product but im learning

Default Suggestion

If I may make a suggestion to everyone, try wrapping your hackle in at the eye of the hook, wrap back and then forward again, it gets rid of that spiral effect that the hackle gets. Also keep your fly from spinning like a prop since you counter the backwards wrap with a forwards one. Just a thought! I have a nor-vise so it really easy and takes about a sec to do, give it a shot.

That last fly is superb, bsj. Nicely done.
    Don't rush - enjoy the tying as part of the process.

Great suggestion bowdy.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Looks like you are getting some good advice from forum members and making great progress, way ahead of the usual learning curve. I agree, nothing better than catching fish on your own creations. Besides, as I prove every year, even less than award-winning flies catch fish! (Big fish!) In fact, the rattier and more chewed-up they get through many encounters with fish teeth, river or lake obstructions, surrounding foliage, etc. the better they often get! Oh yeah, don't forget to post a report or 2 with pix (no need to name locations!) when they succeed!

Your flies are improving a lot! Keep up the good work. The head of your fly in the last pic is perfect. The thread is all even and covers up all the material tie downs. Good job!

Thumbs up

looking good, tying will only get easier the more you tie!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

watch out, fly tying is pretty addictive. Soon you will end up like me, with a vise and hackles crowding your bed stand. it totaly changes the way you look at all those critters cawling and flying around and in the lake.

Thumbs up Tied my first flies ever.

Hi.
    Not too bad for your first attempt,they will definately catch fish.
    An old departed Irish Fishing mate & another local Scotish Fisherman both tied rough flies,however they caught heaps of fish,the old Scott always said if the Fish wanted Tailored made Flies he would make them for them.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Default A couple of thoughts

I have seen a tutorial for an adams that has you tie in the hackle at the eye, palmer it back and whip finish it right behind the hackle. It looks good if you can keep everything tight as it avoids crowding the eye.

BSJ425 - what size thread are you using on your dry flies? You want to use smaller thread on your dries than you do on buggers, and try to wrap it as few times as you can to keep it from getting bulky (both tying in hackle and whip finishing it). Not sure if you were looking for advice, just a suggestion.

They look a lot better than my first year or two flies. Tight lines.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast