Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ship Creek

Default Ship Creek

Am I right in assuming that this would be what one would call combat fishing and on a Sunday to boot? I would appreciate a little input as to the late morning or early afternoon. What would be the minimum line and rod the you would use for this situation. I was thinking about giving it a try with my daughter before we head out to the kenai on the 13th of june. What bait set up works the best? What size would you keep and walk away happy? In combat fishing, what is the proper way to enter crowded line, if any? As always, any and all input is appreciated.

Yes, it will be crowded. I've only fished there a handful of times, so I'll hold off on my recommendations until the resident experts can help. I'm fairly clueless when it comes to working Ship Creek.

On the 13th I would personally stop at the Russian River and hike the 3 miles upstream to the falls. It would work the jet lag off your legs, maybe allow you and your daughter to see a bear to get you excited, and almost certainly put you into some salmon as you work your way back downstream.

I agree a 100% with brain. I would stop at the russain and walk to the falls, or down stream. It's very easy to find just look for lost of people. Its a great place to go if your from out of state and the best road acess fishing in the state for reds.

ok so from now on Brians new nickname is "the Brain". The russian is great fun but too crowded for me most of the time. Ship Creek well fish vibraxes and spoons, plugs, wigglewarts and the like at slack tide, and drift/ flip corkies and ok drifters and yarn on the outgoing and incoming tides. If you wanna soak roe from a chair on the bank, that works okay too, starting 1 hour before to one hour after high tide. The bite can get hot at any time.

Release Lake Trout

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    Am I right in assuming that this would be what one would call combat fishing and on a Sunday to boot? I would appreciate a little input as to the late morning or early afternoon. What would be the minimum line and rod the you would use for this situation. I was thinking about giving it a try with my daughter before we head out to the kenai on the 13th of june. What bait set up works the best? What size would you keep and walk away happy? In combat fishing, what is the proper way to enter crowded line, if any? As always, any and all input is appreciated.
    I never felt it was TOO crowded last year, even during the derby. (which I want to say runs from June 10-20th or about this year?) I generally showed up 2-2.5 hours before high tide and staked out my spot. If there is a line just find a decent gap and squeeze in.

As for what size to walk away happy? For me that would be any size. I am not sure if there are any projections on Ship Creek this year but I know last year it closed down early. The 2 I caught last year were 20# and 12#, not monsters by any means but there are some people I know that generally get at least 1 King out of there a year that got 0 last year. Last year was the first year I really fished Ship Creek a lot, the year before I think I went down there 2-3 times vs last year I would say a good 20+ during King season.

Not sure age of your daughter but if you worry about her getting tangled up with others, there is a pretty big stretch of river below the road bridge on the side closer to down town that is generally pretty empty. I never saw many fish caught in that stretch though I did see a few and quite a number of times saw fish rolling on that bank so that may be an option.

June 12: 7:32 AM;8:42 PM
    June 13: 8:14 AM;9:24PM

Those are the high tide times for those days. Pretty sure you can't start fishing until 6am during King season. If I fish the AM tides I will probably be down there before 6am waiting for go time. Hopefully spend one of those days down on the Russian to get my 3 reds then hit Ship on the PM tide to try for a King and get both limits on the same day.

If you are bringing your daughter, goal number one should be to avoid the aggressive flip-N-rip masses. She will be crowded out if she is too timid, and needs to be able to hold her own when dealing with the inevitable tangle with her "neighbor(s)". Anytime there is downstream flow, you can bet "rippers" will dominate that section of the creek.

Stick with hardware or bobber/eggs and limit her fishing to the flood and high slack. This will give her a fighting chance at a bonafide biter as all the "rippers" will have been displaced by the rising/slack water. She can have fun actually making casts and feeling a legitimate bite.... or seeing her bobber take a plunge as a big king takes her eggs. The lack of heavy flow also makes fighting and successfully landing a big fish easier for a young lady.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Default Two things about the mud...

1). Downstream, below the road mostly I think, people get stuck. The silver lining is they make the newspaper too once the fire department gets there.
    2). Upstream though it's just slick. Tangling with the mud there is good for laughs and photos.

Default oh yah

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    1). Downstream, below the road mostly I think, people get stuck. The silver lining is they make the newspaper too once the fire department gets there.
    2). Upstream though it's just slick. Tangling with the mud there is good for laughs and photos.
    I don't know what you are laughing at, you are going too!!!!

I fish down past the last bridge. Not as crowded down there and folks are pretty mellow for the most part.

The derby runs from June 11th to the 20th this year. I would post the link to their site, but someone forgot to renew the domain name! It was up and running a couple weeks ago.

Soak some roe on incoming and outgoing and toss some pixies on the slack tide. It can get pretty muddy down there, but if you are careful you will be fine.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I don't know when you get in town, but if you're set on heading to Ship Creek that Sunday I would head down there at 6am (or earlier), based on the tides that Mashesta posted. Hit the morning 8:14 high tide. You can't start fishing until 6am, and by that time people will already be staking out their place to fish. There will still be plenty of room for you and your daughter, but the easiest way to get into a crowded line is to get their early.

That said, I don't think it'll be so busy you'll find it unpleasant. Think of it as part of the experience. Most folks are pleasant enough and will probably give you a little extra room with your daughter there. Prepare for it to be muddy, don't wear your Sunday best, find a place where you've got some footing (some grass, a flatter spot) anywhere below the C Street bridge. I like fishing off the North bank near the C St bridge and the south Bank near the downstream railroad bridge - puts you closer to the main channel.

Go with 25 pound mono, any medium/medium heavy spinning or baitcast rod. Size 5 or 6 Vibrax spinners as the tide comes up. Or fish roe on the bottom and sit back and wait.

More days than not I leave Ship Creek empty handed, so any size king is big enough to walk away happy. Good luck!
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default No Matter What.....

Do not wear rubber hip boot down in the mud! You'll thank me later!

Default what then

Quote Originally Posted by y0gee View Post
    Do not wear rubber hip boot down in the mud! You'll thank me later!
    What do most folks wear?

Default love ship creek!

Most folks wear full chest waders of some sort. I'm a fan of the cheapo Fred Myers neoprene myself. (really it's cheap, warm, and works for me). I know it gets warm when you walk, but it rocks when you are standing in water.

Listen to anything Yogi says about fishing as from what I've seen the guy knows what's up. The last couple posts were right on as far as what to expect when fishing Ship Creek. I love fishing there. At high tide the elbow room is about 3 foot on either side of you at the more popular places (I like the riprap along the railroad between the two bridges.) but can be denser at the bait fishing spots and a lot less as you go towards the mouth.

I personally think the mud is less of an issue since they culverts went away. More of a natural channel. Now you almost have to want to walk in mud. Low tide is different of course, but I don't fish low tide for Kings. At that time "rippin" as doc says is the main method. Mainly for me it's the mud. I could fish low tide fishing w/o ripping, but the mud drives me nuts.

I've found most people along ship creek to be great. Some folks fish there who don't know much about fishing though so expect som odd situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    At that time "rippin" as doc says is the main method. Mainly for me it's the mud. I could fish low tide fishing w/o ripping, but the mud drives me nuts.

I've found most people along ship creek to be great. Some folks fish there who don't know much about fishing though so expect som odd situations.
    Could you please explain what rippin is?

I guess that my daughter and I will be the ones that don't know much and I am trying to remedy that.

I want that thank all the members that have been helping me with the fishing aspect of our trip.

I had asked in the original post but haven't got a respone as to what would be the minimum level of rod and wt of line, i could really use some input on that.

I wear hip boots down there, but I don't walk the creek while the tide is low. I think when he is talking about "ripping" he is talking about the people who walk the creek during low tide I have never done that and have no plans to so can't explain the method.

As for gear, I use an ugly stick. Last year I was using a 7ft medium action rod, think it was their big water line. This year I just bought an 8.6ft medium/heavy lite graphite one. I used 50# braid last year but will probably go with either 30 or 40# braid this year. You can go with lighter, I know a guy who runs 20#, but I just want to make sure I can get the fish to shore asap. People start to get annoyed if you are "playing" the fish too long. Once someone yells fish on, people get out of the water and let them land it, but as I said if you start taking too long people get start to get antsy.

Default rippin

I think that what he means is lining - you basically floss thier teeth with your "fly" which can be yarn or a bead or a fly...etc. Same as you would fish for reds.

Default that funny

"once you get a fish on people get out of the way"......

Where you been fishin?

When I get a fish on at Ship some dink usually casts his spinner over my line and rips me loose......that'll chirp your chicken right there!

Rippers = The folks who practice the all too ubiquitous flip-N-rip technique in an attempt to "force-feed" the fish instead of enticing a legitimate willful strike/bite.

They're pretty easy to spot... the folks bombing the water with aggressive flip "casts" using ridiculously heavy weights to quickly get down to the bottom. They drag their goods across the bottom for a very short "drift", finishing off each and every "drift" with a heroic water-hissing hookset where the line audibly "rips" across the surface as it tears thru the water.... hence the terms flip-N-rip and rippers.

If the sport of angling is rooted in the premise of willful take as the foundation of "fair chase", these folks are clearly NOT anglers.

They are nothing more than snaggers, pure and simple.

They set a horrible example for the youth and/or newcomers to the sport. Given the right presentation, Ship Creek fish (both kings and silvers) are generally good biters. No one has to resort to snagging them. There is absolutely no excuse for their behavior apart from selfishness and greed.

Not hatin', just sayin'.....
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

It's lunchtime!!! So I feel free to post.

Flippin or flossing is totally different than rippin. The first technique takes skill, focus, touch, and fish. The second take only fish.

Default I prefer to line them

I either soak eggs or line them or throw spinners.

When I line them, which I prefer, I don't use an exagerated hook setting motion at the end of my "stroke" - I like to just tickle the end - - It produces more LEGITIMATE STRIKES.

As for getting legitimate strikes - I have gotten repeated strikes from the same fish - Kings and Reds and Silvers......so while the Washington fish doctor might know everything there is to know about salmon he obviously didn't fish with me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast