Thread: best method for draining old fuel?

Default best method for draining old fuel?

I've bought a boat with below deck 66 gal fuel tank. The boat has not been used in 4 years. I need to drain all the old fuel. Would it be best to pull the fuel capacity sensing unit and pump it out through the top? Or........ Thanks for any help.

Default Draining Fuel tank.

I just went to a larger below deck tank and I had to drain the old one the way that you described.

Why drain it? Top it off with fresh and run the motor at safe rpm's till it is used. I have used gas that was 4 years old before in various motors and never seen any harmful effects.
    Just make sure the fuel filter/water separator is new and carry a couple of containers of heet just in case.
    If it doubt, run about 10 gallons out by running slow and fill it up again with fresh.
    Tennessee

siphon it out thru the filler and use the old gas in your car if it looks okay. then fill it with new and dont worry about a little left inside as it will be dluted.

what flatbottom said is the easiest way to do it... What I would do is get a cheap syphon and some of that clear plastic hose that will fit over the bottom of the syphon so that it is long enough to reach the bottom of your tank... I have started a syphon by sucking on a hose several times and think that I still may be high from it... Ill pass on that until I cant avoid it

I have used two hoses to siphon fuel, one long enought to get as close to the bottom as possible and long enough to reach your container.
    Sometimes I have zip-tied it to a stiff wire so you can direct the hose somewhat.
    Wire used for suspended ceilings works great, as its stiff yet flexible, better than tie-wire.

The second hose needs to be just long enough to get into the filler neck, use a rag or something to seal around the two hoses in the filler neck. Then use your air compressor and blow some air into the short hose, short blasts, just enough to get the siphon working, this usally does not take very much, but more than what I can do with my lungs.

You dont want much pressure in the tank, and with a less than perfect seal at the neck, this usally is not a issue.

I would drain some and examine it, if you can get your siphon to the bottom of the tank, thats where any water will be, if it comes out clean and you can dilute it with fresh fuel, I would do as Snowolfe said, and run it. If you cant draw the fuel off the bottom you wont really know what is in the bottom of the tank anyway?

If you really want to look in the tank, the sending unit may be the best bet to make a thourgh inspection. You could still drain off the tank using the above method, prior to removing the sending unit.
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

I used this self-priming siphon hose (bought at walmart last year) with success. It might be a little slow, but you don't have to suck gas out of the hose.