Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mystery Sheep-

Default Mystery Sheep-

Like many I am waiting for permit results. I want to post a hawg that was taken last fall. I am curious if anybody can tell me more about it.

It is big enough to motivate me on my training runs, the nightly push up and gym sessions. It looks to be 12 years old and at least 40 inches.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images

If its posted yet....check the Harvest reports.

2009 Harvest Reports are not available yet, or at least they weren't just the other day when I went looking for some information.

I see what you mean about being a motivator, Thomas. I've heard some negative things about several areas in the state that were once rather productive, but knowing that there are some old guys like that milling around certainly motivates me...

I am curious where he came from, as probably everybody else. Where did you get the picture from?
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Default Unit 11

I think its from Unit 11. It isn't clear whether it is hard park or not. It was emailed me from one of my sheep buddies from Copper River Basin. Where I will return when I am done with my teaching gig.

I was hoping that somebody had more information about it. You folks know how I try to get the stories. I am also interested in trying to get the story from B.L. Burkholder.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

It's the hard park!.....the guy is a friend of mine. He's got a wall of sheep mounts like that!

What is the hard park? Is that in the wrangells that is closed to most people except a few subsitense users?

Quote Originally Posted by ramhunter View Post
    It's the hard park!.....the guy is a friend of mine. He's got a wall of sheep mounts like that!
    OK.....I've threatened to do it before.......I'm moving!

I know it would be a shame; but any subsistence hunt should require the horn or antler destruction in the field; much like the caribou and musk ox hunts.

No, no, the horns are edible. Crunchy but edible. Good looking ram.

Default Hunting National parks

You know if you really think about it....it wouldn't be that hard to take a nice ram like that out of the park, you just gotta be discrete about it.

Would be nice if they had a draw permit for the parks...nice way to cull out those old crusty rams and get those good bloodlines going.

Default You'll get to meet Ranger Betts

It would be tougher than you think. They have a $1 per year man (outside greenie volunteer) who spends the entire summer at Hubbert's Landing. Betts is pretty good about finding people. There are other places that can produce as big as that area but they are under control of Ahtna.
    Ahtna could have a lottery and an auction and really clean up.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by ksaye View Post
    I know it would be a shame; but any subsistence hunt should require the horn or antler destruction in the field; much like the caribou and musk ox hunts.
    Why? What purpose would that accomplish? There is no conservation concern in the parks and the meat is still consumed. What would be helped by destroying the horns?

if it is true "subsistence" then the horns should be carved into works of art and sold or bartered.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Why? What purpose would that accomplish? There is no conservation concern in the parks and the meat is still consumed. What would be helped by destroying the horns?

I agree there is no conservation concern in the parks. I just don't think a subsistence hunt should be a trophy hunt. With the horn or antler destruction; I think people may return focus on the subsistence aspect. The point of a subistence hunt is to live on the harvest; yes I am sure a 40 inch ram may taste better and provides more meat than a 2 year old ram.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    if it is true "subsistence" then the horns should be carved into works of art and sold or bartered.
    I did not think about the carving of the horn. Yes, that would be a good way to use the horns and maintain the subsistence aspect and I can see the retention of the horn if you intended to carve and sell it.

Sorry; for hi-jacking the thread. I think this has been debated before. I can see the position of both sides. I just hear stories of guys with nine 40 inch dall sheep on the wall from subsistence hunts....I guess I should say good for you and how fortunate you are to be given the opportunity. That would be a great opportunity and it should be preserved for those who need it. I would imagine 99% of subsistence hunters are not "trophy" hunters. But with everything, it only takes the 1% to ruin it for everyone else.

Your confusing subsistence with qualification, Ksaye. Only those who live in the designated areas as traditional use of the Park area are legally allowed to hunt in "Parks". Their hunting is not always a "subsistence" hunt. The qualified hunters can often hunt inside the Park under state regs.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by ksaye View Post
    I agree there is no conservation concern in the parks. I just don't think a subsistence hunt should be a trophy hunt. With the horn or antler destruction; I think people may return focus on the subsistence aspect. The point of a subistence hunt is to live on the harvest; yes I am sure a 40 inch ram may taste better and provides more meat than a 2 year old ram.

I would imagine 99% of subsistence hunters are not "trophy" hunters. But with everything, it only takes the 1% to ruin it for everyone else.
    I'm still not seeing how someone who selectively harvests large rams is "ruining" it for anyone. Leaving horns in the field or destroying them does nothing to improve the taste or yield of the meat. It does not help the population. It does not ensure that the hunt will continue. The only thing I can see it doing is making a few people feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Your confusing subsistence with qualification, Ksaye. Only those who live in the designated areas as traditional use of the Park area are legally allowed to hunt in "Parks". Their hunting is not always a "subsistence" hunt. The qualified hunters can often hunt inside the Park under state regs.

Yes; I confused/combined the two; appreciate the clarification.

Anyone with the right to hunt the park should harvest any legal animal they can without horn/antler destruction.

What we really need are some DRAW RESULTS!!! These deep ethical dilemma posts should have been over almost 2 weeks ago! Is it Friday yet? I am ready to get out of the deep thought over the meaning of life and on to planning how to get close to a full curl bag of lamb chops and mutton ribs!

Default Yes!

Bring on the ribs!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast